2-1/2 naming questions

Dave Mangot-2

Bonjour,

We've just upgraded to Xwiki 1.6 and I have some questions from a user
that are not necessarily 1.6 specific.

1. Is it possible to have a page name with a period (.) in the name.
e.g. [Release 1.6]?  In Xwiki 1.0 it renders as underlined 6.  In Xwiki
2.0, it doesn't even render as a link.  In fact, I can't get any Xwiki
2.0 links to render at all.

2. Is it possible to have Xwiki store attachments with spaces in the
name?  Say I want to store a file that is called "Marketing Plan Oct
2008.pdf".  Xwiki seems to take all the spaces out and munge the
filename, especially if it is a long one, it puts in tildes (~).  I want
my users to be able to download the plan without having to rename it
themselves.  How do I do that?

3. How beta is the Confluence 1.0 rendering?  I made a page like this:

h1. header1
h2. header2
h3. header3
h4. header4

Only the h1 rendered correctly, everything else showed up as plan text.
   That has got to be the most basic page imaginable.

Do I have something installed incorrectly?

                                     Thanks,

                                         -Dave

--
Dave Mangot
Terracotta Inc.

This e-mail incorporates Terracotta's confidentiality policy, which is
online at http://www.terracottatech.com/emailconfidentiality.shtml

Re: 2-1/2 naming questions

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Dave Mangot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> We've just upgraded to Xwiki 1.6 and I have some questions from a user
> that are not necessarily 1.6 specific.
>
> 1. Is it possible to have a page name with a period (.) in the name.

AFAIK no you can't use '.' in pages names yet.

> e.g. [Release 1.6]?  In Xwiki 1.0 it renders as underlined 6.  In Xwiki
> 2.0, it doesn't even render as a link.  In fact, I can't get any Xwiki
> 2.0 links to render at all.

Do you use the new syntax for XWiki 2.0 links ? See
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks

> 2. Is it possible to have Xwiki store attachments with spaces in the
> name?  Say I want to store a file that is called "Marketing Plan Oct
> 2008.pdf".  Xwiki seems to take all the spaces out and munge the
> filename, especially if it is a long one, it puts in tildes (~).  I want
> my users to be able to download the plan without having to rename it
> themselves.  How do I do that?

The cleaning is made on javascript side of standard attachment UI, you
can modify this UI or create you own attachment UI.

> 3. How beta is the Confluence 1.0 rendering?  I made a page like this:

In fact it's more alpha than beta, we directly use Doxia's confluence
module (See http://maven.apache.org/doxia/) and did not even tested it
yet, it's more a proof of concept for our wiki parser component API.

> h1. header1
> h2. header2
> h3. header3
> h4. header4
>
> Only the h1 rendered correctly, everything else showed up as plan text.
>   That has got to be the most basic page imaginable.
>
> Do I have something installed incorrectly?

No I doubt that. If it's working (even half working) I think all is ok
on your side, there is not configuration yet for parsers other than
XWiki.

>                                     Thanks,
>
>                                         -Dave
>
> --
> Dave Mangot
> Terracotta Inc.
> 650 Townsend St. Suite 325
> San Francisco, CA 94103 USA
> +1 415 738 4059
> [hidden email]
>
> This e-mail incorporates Terracotta's confidentiality policy, which is
> online at http://www.terracottatech.com/emailconfidentiality.shtml

Re: 2-1/2 naming questions

Hi Dave,

On Oct 15, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Dave Mangot wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> We've just upgraded to Xwiki 1.6 and I have some questions from a user
> that are not necessarily 1.6 specific.
>
> 1. Is it possible to have a page name with a period (.) in the name.
> e.g. [Release 1.6]?  In Xwiki 1.0 it renders as underlined 6.  In
> Xwiki
> 2.0, it doesn't even render as a link.  In fact, I can't get any Xwiki
> 2.0 links to render at all.

The syntax is [[...]] in XWiki Syntax 2.0.

> 2. Is it possible to have Xwiki store attachments with spaces in the
> name?  Say I want to store a file that is called "Marketing Plan Oct
> 2008.pdf".  Xwiki seems to take all the spaces out and munge the
> filename, especially if it is a long one, it puts in tildes (~).  I
> want
> my users to be able to download the plan without having to rename it
> themselves.  How do I do that?
>
> 3. How beta is the Confluence 1.0 rendering?  I made a page like this:
>
> h1. header1
> h2. header2
> h3. header3
> h4. header4
>
> Only the h1 rendered correctly, everything else showed up as plan
> text.
>   That has got to be the most basic page imaginable.

The only syntaxes that are currently working well (i.e. that have been
tested and worked on) are the XWiki Syntax 1.0 and XWiki syntax 2.0.
The others are experimental. As Thomas said, for the confluence syntax
we're using the Parser provided by Doxia and we haven't started
testing how well or how bad it is yet. I wanted to finish the new
XWiki 2.0 syntax support first before moving to other syntaxes. BTW
I'm still waiting for Doxia to release its 1.0 beta 1 version to
incorporate it (right now we're using an old Doxia alpha since that's
the last released version).

Note that even the XWiki Syntax 2.0 is still beta and is meant to be
finalized for XE 1.7 (mid December) but I think it's working quite
well already. If you find any issue with it please report it in JIRA
since that will help us a lot to stabilize it.

> Do I have something installed incorrectly?
>
>                                     Thanks,
>
>                                         -Dave
>
> --
> Dave Mangot
> Terracotta Inc.
> 650 Townsend St. Suite 325
> San Francisco, CA 94103 USA
> +1 415 738 4059

Re: 2-1/2 naming questions

Fabian Pichler
> 2. Is it possible to have Xwiki store attachments with spaces in the
> name?  Say I want to store a file that is called "Marketing Plan Oct
> 2008.pdf".  Xwiki seems to take all the spaces out and munge the
> filename, especially if it is a long one, it puts in tildes (~).  I want
> my users to be able to download the plan without having to rename it
> themselves.  How do I do that?

The cleaning is made on javascript side of standard attachment UI, you
can modify this UI or create you own attachment UI.

According to my experience the shortening with the tildes(~) only is made
in the Javascript UI. Yet, the deletion of spaces and "special" characters
happens in com.xpn.xwiki.web.UploadAction.java:92
filename = context.getWiki().clearName(filename, false, true, context);

AFAIK this was added in version 1.3 with the following comment:
        // TODO : avoid name clearing when encoding problems will be solved
        // JIRA : http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-94
which was changed resently to:
        // Issues fixed by the clearName :
        // 1) Attaching images with a name containing special characters (é
& è à ...) generates bugs
        //    (image are not displayed), XWIKI-2090.
        // 2) Attached files that we can't delete or link in the Wiki pages,
XWIKI-2087.

So it looks to me that the "fix" soved:
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2087
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2090

The clearName itself possibily will be needed at least until:
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-94 is solved.

Does anybody know more about this issue and the progress on it?

Thanks,
Fabian.

2008/10/16 Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Dave Mangot <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > We've just upgraded to Xwiki 1.6 and I have some questions from a user
> > that are not necessarily 1.6 specific.
> >
> > 1. Is it possible to have a page name with a period (.) in the name.
>
> AFAIK no you can't use '.' in pages names yet.
>
> > e.g. [Release 1.6]?  In Xwiki 1.0 it renders as underlined 6.  In Xwiki
> > 2.0, it doesn't even render as a link.  In fact, I can't get any Xwiki
> > 2.0 links to render at all.
>
> Do you use the new syntax for XWiki 2.0 links ? See
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks
>

> > 2. Is it possible to have Xwiki store attachments with spaces in the
> > name?  Say I want to store a file that is called "Marketing Plan Oct
> > 2008.pdf".  Xwiki seems to take all the spaces out and munge the
> > filename, especially if it is a long one, it puts in tildes (~).  I want
> > my users to be able to download the plan without having to rename it
> > themselves.  How do I do that?
>
> The cleaning is made on javascript side of standard attachment UI, you
> can modify this UI or create you own attachment UI.
>

> > 3. How beta is the Confluence 1.0 rendering?  I made a page like this:
>
> In fact it's more alpha than beta, we directly use Doxia's confluence
> module (See http://maven.apache.org/doxia/) and did not even tested it
> yet, it's more a proof of concept for our wiki parser component API.
>

> > h1. header1
> > h2. header2
> > h3. header3
> > h4. header4
> >
> > Only the h1 rendered correctly, everything else showed up as plan text.
> >   That has got to be the most basic page imaginable.
> >
> > Do I have something installed incorrectly?
>
> No I doubt that. If it's working (even half working) I think all is ok
> on your side, there is not configuration yet for parsers other than
> XWiki.
>

> >                                     Thanks,
> >
> >                                         -Dave
> >
> > --
> > Dave Mangot
> > Terracotta Inc.
> > 650 Townsend St. Suite 325
> > San Francisco, CA 94103 USA
> > +1 415 738 4059
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > This e-mail incorporates Terracotta's confidentiality policy, which is
> > online at http://www.terracottatech.com/emailconfidentiality.shtml

Fabian Pichler                [hidden email]

phone  +41 61 261 67 89          fax    +41 61 261 67 88
synventis gmbh    Gerbergasse 30    CH - 4001  Basel

The  information  contained in  this message  may be
confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
Any  unauthorised use,  dissemination of  the infor-
mation,  or  copying of this message  is prohibited.