A suggestion for CKEditor

Benjamin Lanciaux
Hello devs,

I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.

I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013

I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
for various reasons:

   - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in the
   current version
   - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor, they
   are familiar with it
   - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
   showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.

I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.

<http://xwiki.com>
*Benjamin Lanciaux*
*Marketing Communications Manager*
[hidden email]
tel: +33 (0)1 45 42 40 90
skype: benjaminxwiki

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

Hi Benjamin,

On 2 Mar 2016 at 14:56:05, Benjamin Lanciaux ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.
>
> I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013
>
> I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
> for various reasons:
>
> - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in the
> current version
> - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor, they
> are familiar with it
> - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
> showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.
>
> I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.

Good idea. Sounds nice.

We might also consider http://ckeditor.com/addon/bootstrapck since we’re using bootstrap in our skin.

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

I agree that the default CKEditor skin doesn't look very nice. Personally,
I find the bootstrap-based one a bit bland. I like the Office-inspired one,
but we'd need to make sure that we can use a color from FlamingoThemes for
its background color.

Guillaume

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Benjamin,
>

> On 2 Mar 2016 at 14:56:05, Benjamin Lanciaux ([hidden email]
> (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hello devs,
> >
> > I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.
> >
> > I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013
> >
> > I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
> > for various reasons:
> >
> > - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in the
> > current version
> > - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor, they
> > are familiar with it
> > - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
> > showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.
> >
> > I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.
>
> Good idea. Sounds nice.
>
> We might also consider http://ckeditor.com/addon/bootstrapck since we’re
> using bootstrap in our skin.

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Benjamin Lanciaux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.
>
> I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013
>
> I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
> for various reasons:
>

>    - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in the
>    current version

I don't find it more modern. 2013 is 3 years ago :)

>    - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor, they
>    are familiar with it

Any stats to prove this? :) But even if this is the case, CKEditor is not a
word processor and wiki pages are not office documents. I don't think our
users need a Microsoft Word clone.

   - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
>    showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.

If the community votes for this then I'm ok with that, but you should take
into account that this skin is an add-on provided by an individual (
http://ckeditor.com/users/danya.postfactum) and thus is not supported by
the CKEditor development team. I don't know how quickly the author will be
available to fix the issues we may encounter on various browsers (do you
know which browsers are supported?) and to update the skin to work with
newer versions of CKEditor. If you check the compatibility table you'll see
that at the moment we don't know for sure if it works fine with CKEditor
4.5.x which we use.

> I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.

> <http://xwiki.com>
> *Benjamin Lanciaux*
> *Marketing Communications Manager*
> [hidden email]
> tel: +33 (0)1 45 42 40 90
> skype: benjaminxwiki

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Benjamin Lanciaux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello devs,
>>
>> I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.
>>
>> I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013
>>
>> I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
>> for various reasons:
>>

>>    - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in the
>>    current version
>>

> I don't find it more modern. 2013 is 3 years ago :)
>

>>    - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor, they
>>    are familiar with it
>>

> Any stats to prove this? :) But even if this is the case, CKEditor is not
> a word processor and wiki pages are not office documents. I don't think our
> users need a Microsoft Word clone.
>
>    - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
>>    showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.
>>

> If the community votes for this then I'm ok with that, but you should take
> into account that this skin is an add-on provided by an individual (
> http://ckeditor.com/users/danya.postfactum) and thus is not supported by
> the CKEditor development team. I don't know how quickly the author will be
> available to fix the issues we may encounter on various browsers (do you
> know which browsers are supported?) and to update the skin to work with
> newer versions of CKEditor. If you check the compatibility table you'll see
> that at the moment we don't know for sure if it works fine with CKEditor
> 4.5.x which we use.

I would rather add support for packaging CKEditor skins as XWiki Extensions
and allow users to install a new skin and to configure the editor to use it.

> Thanks,
> Marius
>

>> I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.

>> <http://xwiki.com>
>> *Benjamin Lanciaux*
>> *Marketing Communications Manager*
>> [hidden email]
>> tel: +33 (0)1 45 42 40 90
>> skype: benjaminxwiki

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Benjamin Lanciaux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello devs,
> >>
> >> I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.
> >>
> >> I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013
> >>
> >> I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
> >> for various reasons:
> >>

> >>    - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in
> the
> >>    current version
> >>

> > I don't find it more modern. 2013 is 3 years ago :)
> >

> >>    - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor,
> they
> >>    are familiar with it
> >>

> > Any stats to prove this? :) But even if this is the case, CKEditor is not
> > a word processor and wiki pages are not office documents. I don't think
> our
> > users need a Microsoft Word clone.
> >
> >    - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
> >>    showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.
> >>

> > If the community votes for this then I'm ok with that, but you should
> take
> > into account that this skin is an add-on provided by an individual (
> > http://ckeditor.com/users/danya.postfactum) and thus is not supported by
> > the CKEditor development team. I don't know how quickly the author will
> be
> > available to fix the issues we may encounter on various browsers (do you
> > know which browsers are supported?) and to update the skin to work with
> > newer versions of CKEditor. If you check the compatibility table you'll
> see
> > that at the moment we don't know for sure if it works fine with CKEditor
> > 4.5.x which we use.
> >

> I would rather add support for packaging CKEditor skins as XWiki Extensions
> and allow users to install a new skin and to configure the editor to use
> it.

Good idea.

Guillaume

> Thanks,
> > Marius
> >

> >> I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >>
> >> <http://xwiki.com>
> >> *Benjamin Lanciaux*
> >> *Marketing Communications Manager*
> >> [hidden email]
> >> tel: +33 (0)1 45 42 40 90
> >> skype: benjaminxwiki

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

Eduard Moraru
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Benjamin Lanciaux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello devs,
> >>
> >> I have a suggestion about the CKeditor layout.
> >>
> >> I’ve found this skin: http://ckeditor.com/addon/office2013
> >>
> >> I think it would be really great if we could have it for the XE CKeditor
> >> for various reasons:
> >>

> >>    - it appears (to me) that this is more modern than what we have in
> the
> >>    current version
> >>

> > I don't find it more modern. 2013 is 3 years ago :)
> >

> >>    - most of the basic/end users are used to Microsoft Office editor,
> they
> >>    are familiar with it
> >>

> > Any stats to prove this? :) But even if this is the case, CKEditor is not
> > a word processor and wiki pages are not office documents. I don't think
> our
> > users need a Microsoft Word clone.
> >
> >    - in terms of communication, this can help promoting XWiki Enterprise,
> >>    showing that the community is taking into account end users’ needs.
> >>

> > If the community votes for this then I'm ok with that, but you should
> take
> > into account that this skin is an add-on provided by an individual (
> > http://ckeditor.com/users/danya.postfactum) and thus is not supported by
> > the CKEditor development team. I don't know how quickly the author will
> be
> > available to fix the issues we may encounter on various browsers (do you
> > know which browsers are supported?) and to update the skin to work with
> > newer versions of CKEditor. If you check the compatibility table you'll
> see
> > that at the moment we don't know for sure if it works fine with CKEditor
> > 4.5.x which we use.
> >

> I would rather add support for packaging CKEditor skins as XWiki Extensions
> and allow users to install a new skin and to configure the editor to use
> it.

+1

Choosing defaults is always dangerous and hard to get right. When it comes
to taste, it`s best to let users decide in their own instances, through
configuration.

Even so, I also agree with the fact that the default CK skin does not
exactly fit the glove with the current default skin we use in XWiki (which
is bootstrap based). I would rather be +1 to use the bootstrap inspired CK
skin with the hopes of achieving a consistent look an feel. I think I
prefer it to be a bit "bland", but consistent and in the same spirit as the
rest of the UI, than make it stand out unnecessarily and "poke you in the
eye" :).

Of course, it would be even more awesome if we could make it work with
FlamingoThemes, as Guillaume was suggesting for the office skin, since it
would be the ultimate match (at least it would sound like it :) ), but I`m
really not familiar with the CK editor and the implications of doing this.

Another option could even be to fork it ourselves (whichever one we choose)
if it can not be configured in its current form, since I doubt such a theme
is a complex beast that needs maintenance from its creators.

Thanks,
Eduard

> > Thanks,
> > Marius
> >

> >> I’m looking forward to your feedback on this.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >>
> >> <http://xwiki.com>
> >> *Benjamin Lanciaux*
> >> *Marketing Communications Manager*
> >> [hidden email]
> >> tel: +33 (0)1 45 42 40 90
> >> skype: benjaminxwiki

Re: A suggestion for CKEditor

Benjamin Lanciaux
Hello,

+1 for Bootstrap-based skin or something close to this.

Thanks,

Benjamin