[ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

[ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

Hi everyone,

I’ve started a first version of a XWiki docker packaging at https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki and I’ve created an automated build on DockerHub at https://hub.docker.com/u/xwiki/. The goal is to provide an official packaging done by the XWiki dev team.

Since I’m a recent user of Docker I’m sure I’ve made plenty of mistakes and not following some best practices, even though I’ve tried my best to do that ;)

So it would be great if:
* Some users could try it out and let me know how it works
* Users could tell me what they’d expect in term of setup from a docker distribution.
* Some Docker experts review my code and let me know what I should improve!

After I receive some confirmation that it works well-enough, my goal is to document it as an official way of installing xwiki on xwiki.org.

Feel free to create jiras for ideas and bugs at http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XDOCKER.

Thanks a lot!
-Vincent

PS: Note that I’m sure some will want a different DB, such as postgreSQL for example. That should be easy to do. Pull request accepted! :)

Re: [ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

Note that my assumption so far has been to provide a production-ready Dockerized XWiki. This is not meant to be a demo container to test out XWiki.

* This is for example why I’ve used Debian:jessy as the base imagine and not alpine for example. Another option to slim it down would be to use https://hub.docker.com/r/tklx/base/ but I’ve preferred to use what you’d use in production.
* This is also why I’m using docker-compose and have several separate containers for the DB and for XWiki/Tomcat.

Thanks
-Vìncent

> On 16 Jan 2017, at 18:37, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I’ve started a first version of a XWiki docker packaging at https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki and I’ve created an automated build on DockerHub at https://hub.docker.com/u/xwiki/. The goal is to provide an official packaging done by the XWiki dev team.
>
> Since I’m a recent user of Docker I’m sure I’ve made plenty of mistakes and not following some best practices, even though I’ve tried my best to do that ;)
>
> So it would be great if:
> * Some users could try it out and let me know how it works
> * Users could tell me what they’d expect in term of setup from a docker distribution.
> * Some Docker experts review my code and let me know what I should improve!
>
> After I receive some confirmation that it works well-enough, my goal is to document it as an official way of installing xwiki on xwiki.org.
>
> Feel free to create jiras for ideas and bugs at http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XDOCKER.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> -Vincent
>
> PS: Note that I’m sure some will want a different DB, such as postgreSQL for example. That should be easy to do. Pull request accepted! :)

Re: [xwiki-users] [ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

Hi Craig,

> On 16 Jan 2017, at 21:51, Craig Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> This is great, and if it had been out two weeks ago I would have used it as the basis for my installation! ;D
>
> I can’t promise to check it out in the near-term future but when I get a chance to revisit the install method, I will check it out.

Cool

> When you release a new version, do you plan on pushing that out as a new Docker image, or will you upgrade-in-place in the container? I assume the former.

Yep, I’ll push new images.

> Craig
>

>> On Jan 16, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Note that my assumption so far has been to provide a production-ready Dockerized XWiki. This is not meant to be a demo container to test out XWiki.
>>
>> * This is for example why I’ve used Debian:jessy as the base imagine and not alpine for example. Another option to slim it down would be to use https://hub.docker.com/r/tklx/base/ but I’ve preferred to use what you’d use in production.
>> * This is also why I’m using docker-compose and have several separate containers for the DB and for XWiki/Tomcat.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Vìncent
>>
>>> On 16 Jan 2017, at 18:37, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I’ve started a first version of a XWiki docker packaging at https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki and I’ve created an automated build on DockerHub at https://hub.docker.com/u/xwiki/. The goal is to provide an official packaging done by the XWiki dev team.
>>>
>>> Since I’m a recent user of Docker I’m sure I’ve made plenty of mistakes and not following some best practices, even though I’ve tried my best to do that ;)
>>>
>>> So it would be great if:
>>> * Some users could try it out and let me know how it works
>>> * Users could tell me what they’d expect in term of setup from a docker distribution.
>>> * Some Docker experts review my code and let me know what I should improve!
>>>
>>> After I receive some confirmation that it works well-enough, my goal is to document it as an official way of installing xwiki on xwiki.org.
>>>
>>> Feel free to create jiras for ideas and bugs at http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XDOCKER.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>> -Vincent
>>>
>>> PS: Note that I’m sure some will want a different DB, such as postgreSQL for example. That should be easy to do. Pull request accepted! :)

Re: [xwiki-users] [ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

Hi Miroslav,

> On 16 Jan 2017, at 23:42, Miroslav Galajda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, all that's great to hear. The docker is getting more and more popular
> :-)
>
> Recently, I have "dockerized" XWiki v8.4 hosted in Tomcat and backed by
> OracleXE for my testing purposes.

This is great, the more the merrier! :)

FTR there are currently 29 repos with XWiki images on docker hub (https://hub.docker.com/search/?isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&page=1&pullCount=0&q=xwiki&starCount=0). This makes it not easy for users to know why one to use. This is why I thought it would be important to have some “official” docker images from the xwiki open source project maintained by the xwiki devs.

I think the next step is to add images for postgresql and oracle since both are supported DBs. What I’m trying to figure out is how to share source files for the Dockerfiles. Using “-f” should work but it’s not supported by automated builds o dockerhub yet (https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292). Help is most welcome! :)

> I will definitely try your version, it
> seems more komplex and more configurable than mine :-)
>
> Mirec
>
> On 16 January 2017 at 22:36, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>>> On 16 Jan 2017, at 21:51, Craig Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> This is great, and if it had been out two weeks ago I would have used it
>> as the basis for my installation! ;D
>>>
>>> I can’t promise to check it out in the near-term future but when I get a
>> chance to revisit the install method, I will check it out.
>>
>> Cool
>>
>>> When you release a new version, do you plan on pushing that out as a new
>> Docker image, or will you upgrade-in-place in the container? I assume the
>> former.
>>
>> Yep, I’ll push new images.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Craig

>> Dockerized XWiki. This is not meant to be a demo container to test out
>> XWiki.

>> and not alpine for example. Another option to slim it down would be to use
>> https://hub.docker.com/r/tklx/base/ but I’ve preferred to use what you’d
>> use in production.
>> containers for the DB and for XWiki/Tomcat.

>> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki and I’ve created an
>> automated build on DockerHub at https://hub.docker.com/u/xwiki/. The goal
>> is to provide an official packaging done by the XWiki dev team.

>> mistakes and not following some best practices, even though I’ve tried my
>> best to do that ;)

>> docker distribution.
>> improve!

>> is to document it as an official way of installing xwiki on xwiki.org.

>> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XDOCKER.

>> postgreSQL for example. That should be easy to do. Pull request accepted! :)

Re: [ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

Ok so now that we have an official xwiki image on dockerhub at https://hub.docker.com/_/xwiki/ we need to decide what we do with https://hub.docker.com/r/xwiki/xwiki-mysql-tomcat/

I think we should remove it to avoid confusion.

Anyone having any issue with me removing it now? WDYT?

> On 16 Jan 2017, at 18:37, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I’ve started a first version of a XWiki docker packaging at https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki and I’ve created an automated build on DockerHub at https://hub.docker.com/u/xwiki/. The goal is to provide an official packaging done by the XWiki dev team.
>
> Since I’m a recent user of Docker I’m sure I’ve made plenty of mistakes and not following some best practices, even though I’ve tried my best to do that ;)
>
> So it would be great if:
> * Some users could try it out and let me know how it works
> * Users could tell me what they’d expect in term of setup from a docker distribution.
> * Some Docker experts review my code and let me know what I should improve!
>
> After I receive some confirmation that it works well-enough, my goal is to document it as an official way of installing xwiki on xwiki.org.
>
> Feel free to create jiras for ideas and bugs at http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XDOCKER.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> -Vincent
>
> PS: Note that I’m sure some will want a different DB, such as postgreSQL for example. That should be easy to do. Pull request accepted! :)

Re: [xwiki-users] [ANN] First version of the XWiki docker packaging

Thanks Denis for the feedback.

Done, it’s now deleted :)

The official image is now the first one… Come on xwiki users, let’s get this pull number increased now! (7 pulls already)