[ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

vmassol
Administrator
Dear Nabble users,

We've just noticed a problem. If you've been posting through the Nabble UI (see http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Forum ) then it's possible you've posted neither to the "XWiki - User" sub forum nor to the "XWiki - Devs" sub forum which means that you've posted to the root forum and this root forum is not linked to any mailing list.

This means that your messages have not reached the XWiki Users and Devs mailing lists and thus nobody has seen them. Which explains why you haven't received answer to your messages…

We had put the following notice on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/MailingLists :

"
Note that using Nabble allows you to post to the forum without registering (the post will not be sent to the XWiki mailing list though and thus only users checking the forum will see your post). Even though we don't like users to do this (since users will not automatically receive answers to their questions for example and it doesn't create a relationship) it might come handy under some circumstances.
"

However seen the number of posts not sent to the list and which don't have any answer it's not working.

Thus we've decided to not allow anymore posting to the root forum and from now on you'll need to post to the User or Dev forum which means you'll need to register on the xwiki lists too. When you create a messae Nabble guides you on how to do this.

Thus if you've sent messages through Nabble but haven't received any answer please consider resending them.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience
-Vincent Massol on behalf of the XWiki community



_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

Arioch
Yes, i remember that gotcha, was caught in.

But i don't see many posts there. Hopefully the trap is rather obvious to get out.

But if it needs to be mended, then i suggest this message be also posted into Nable root XWiki forum.

If some person still time to time browses there hoping for answer - or been driven there by Google - he might not know the change. The config change is only visible for persons trying to post, for mere readers that would not be visible and having that message pinned at top of "root" forum, might give them more clue.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

vmassol
Administrator

On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Arioch wrote:

> Yes, i remember that gotcha, was caught in.
>
> But i don't see many posts there. Hopefully the trap is rather obvious to
> get out.
>
> But if it needs to be mended, then i suggest this message be also posted
> into Nable root XWiki forum.

If you look at http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/ you see all messages independently from which forum they're posted into.

I don't know any URL that would just display the root module without displaying subforums.

Thanks
-Vincent

> If some person still time to time browses there hoping for answer - or been
> driven there by Google - he might not know the change. The config change is
> only visible for persons trying to post, for mere readers that would not be
> visible and having that message pinned at top of "root" forum, might give
> them more clue.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

Arioch
> I don't know any URL that would just display the root module without displaying subforums.

Fair point.

But pinning is still done on per-forum base.

You pinned this thread in XWiki-users (where its persistency is not needed much).
But this thread is NOt pinned in root XWiki.

Hopefully you can pin it in XWiki without re-posting there.
The screenshots at http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=55 are not connected to each other alas.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

vmassol
Administrator

On Jul 17, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Arioch wrote:

>> I don't know any URL that would just display the root module without
> displaying subforums.
>
> Fair point.
>
> But pinning is still done on per-forum base.
>
> You pinned this thread in XWiki-users (where its persistency is not needed
> much).
> But this thread is NOt pinned in root XWiki.
>
> Hopefully you can pin it in XWiki without re-posting there.
> The screenshots at http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=55 are not
> connected to each other alas.

I didn't know about pinning. Since I now know it's possible I agree with you.

Thomas is handling it (AFAIK) ;)

Thanks
-Vincent

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANN] IMPORTANT for users posting from Nabble

Arioch
> Thomas is handling it (AFAIK)

Can u remind it ? in XWiki root forum it is almost quite the 1st screen.

Either this (pinning in root XWiki) has to be done, or to be discarded as not important anymore.
Loading...