[ANN] XWiki 5.1 released

Marius Dumitru Florea
The XWiki development team is proud to announce the availability of XWiki 5.1.
This release comes with Solr search enabled by default. The search UI
has been redesigned and the search backend has been greatly improved.
A new Menu application is now avaible to help you create navigation
menus that ca be placed after the header or in a side panel. Beside
this, a lot of bug fixes (124) and small improvements (53) make this
release worth trying.

You can download it here: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download

Make sure to review the release notes:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWiki51

Thanks
-The XWiki dev team

Re: [ANN] XWiki 5.1 released

Well done guys, especially for the SOLR implementation in 5.1. It wasn't easy and obvious that we would be able to reach a good quality level to make it the default search engine in 5.1 but you did it! :)

That's a joint effort:
* Thomas for the backend
* Marius for the UI
* Sorin/Manuel and other committers/contributors for the testing

Well done! I hope our XWiki users will like it and will provide quick feedback so that we make it even better :)

On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:51 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The XWiki development team is proud to announce the availability of XWiki 5.1.
> This release comes with Solr search enabled by default. The search UI
> has been redesigned and the search backend has been greatly improved.
> A new Menu application is now avaible to help you create navigation
> menus that ca be placed after the header or in a side panel. Beside
> this, a lot of bug fixes (124) and small improvements (53) make this
> release worth trying.
>
> You can download it here: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download
>
> Make sure to review the release notes:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWiki51
>
> Thanks
> -The XWiki dev team

Re: [xwiki-devs] [ANN] XWiki 5.1 released

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Well, don't forget about me for the Design and Eduard for the existing code
and integration before 5.0.

Also Savitha Sundaramurthy, Paul Libbrecht, Sergiu Dumitriu, Ludovic, Fabio
worked on SOLR, plus other members of our community in the initial phases
of the product.

On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, don't forget about me for the Design and Eduard for the existing code
> and integration before 5.0.

ooops sorry :)

So the full team who worked on Solr:
* Edy (not for 5.1 but he did the first version in 5.0)
* Caty (Design)
* Thomas (Backend)
* Marius (UI)
* Sorin, Manuel and others (testing)

> Also Savitha Sundaramurthy, Paul Libbrecht, Sergiu Dumitriu, Ludovic, Fabio
> worked on SOLR, plus other members of our community in the initial phases
> of the product.

Ok let's thank the whole earth so that I'm on the safe side this time :)

Sorry again about forgetting you in the list (my initial intention was to thank the 5.1 devs since this is about 5.1), that'll teach me to do lists… :)

> Caty
>
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well done guys, especially for the SOLR implementation in 5.1. It wasn't
>> easy and obvious that we would be able to reach a good quality level to
>> make it the default search engine in 5.1 but you did it! :)
>>
>> That's a joint effort:
>> * Thomas for the backend
>> * Marius for the UI
>> * Sorin/Manuel and other committers/contributors for the testing
>>
>> Well done! I hope our XWiki users will like it and will provide quick
>> feedback so that we make it even better :)

>> On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:51 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The XWiki development team is proud to announce the availability of
>> XWiki 5.1.
>>> This release comes with Solr search enabled by default. The search UI
>>> has been redesigned and the search backend has been greatly improved.
>>> A new Menu application is now avaible to help you create navigation
>>> menus that ca be placed after the header or in a side panel. Beside
>>> this, a lot of bug fixes (124) and small improvements (53) make this
>>> release worth trying.
>>>
>>> You can download it here:
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download
>>>
>>> Make sure to review the release notes:
>>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWiki51
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -The XWiki dev team

XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Kévin Laîné
Hi Xwiki Team,

When will you implement XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm ?
I'm really interested by the "Menu Application" Extension

Thanks

Kévin Laîné
familleassociative.myxwiki.org

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Marius Dumitru Florea
Pretty soon IMO. I could upgrade xwiki.org and myxwiki.org next
Monday. This will allows us to see Solr in action on xwiki.org .

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Kévin Laîné <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Xwiki Team,
>
> When will you implement XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm ?
> I'm really interested by the "Menu Application" Extension
>
> Thanks
>
> Kévin Laîné
> familleassociative.myxwiki.org

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Kévin Laîné
Really Really Cool !!!  :-))

It was complicate for me to try making a good Menu without specific tool.

Thanks to Xwiki Team !

Marius Dumitru Florea wrote
Pretty soon IMO. I could upgrade xwiki.org and myxwiki.org next
Monday. This will allows us to see Solr in action on xwiki.org .

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Marius Dumitru Florea
We encountered some problems when upgrading xwiki.org (see
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-9333 and
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-428 ) and so we didn't have time
to upgrade myxwiki.org yet. I hope to do it in the coming days.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Kévin Laîné <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Really Really Cool !!!  :-))
>
> It was complicate for me to try making a good Menu without specific tool.
>
> Thanks to Xwiki Team !
>

> Marius Dumitru Florea wrote
>> Pretty soon IMO. I could upgrade xwiki.org and myxwiki.org next
>> Monday. This will allows us to see Solr in action on xwiki.org .
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Kévin Laîné
Hi Xwiki Team

What about Xwiki 5.1 on Xwiki Farm ?

I saw that problems are fixed on jira.

Kévin

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Kevin,

I'll try to do it next Monday (12 August -- tomorrow is Bug Fixing Day
and Friday is a bit dangerous because if something goes wrong I might
not be available in the weekend to fix it).

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Kévin Laîné <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Xwiki Team
>
> What about Xwiki 5.1 on Xwiki Farm ?
>
> I saw that problems are fixed on jira.
>
> Kévin

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Marius Dumitru Florea
Unfortunately it got postponed again.. Monday I had to perform the 5.2
M1 release and now I can't ssh to myxwiki.org.. (facepalm)

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I'll try to do it next Monday (12 August -- tomorrow is Bug Fixing Day
> and Friday is a bit dangerous because if something goes wrong I might
> not be available in the weekend to fix it).
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Kévin Laîné <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Xwiki Team
>>
>> What about Xwiki 5.1 on Xwiki Farm ?
>>
>> I saw that problems are fixed on jira.
>>
>> Kévin

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Kévin Laîné
Hi Marius and Xwiki Team

So, what about Xwiki 5.1 on Xwiki Farm yet ?

thanks in advance

Kévin

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Marius Dumitru Florea
We're going to wait for 5.2RC1 (which is planned in a week) for
upgrading myxwiki.org . But in order to make the Menu Application
usable on the current 5.0.1 version I modified global.vm . I could
have done this long ago but I realised just now that there's a small
change needed in order to make the Menu App work on 5.0.1.

Let me know if you have problems installing or using the Menu Application.

Hope this helps,
Marius

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Kévin Laîné <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marius and Xwiki Team
>
> So, what about Xwiki 5.1 on Xwiki Farm yet ?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Kévin

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Kévin Laîné
Thanks Marius

I tried to install "Menu application" but it doesn't work  :

"Dependency [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-oldcore-[5.1]] is not compatible with core extension [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-legacy-oldcore-5.0.1] "

but don't worry, I will wait for 5.2RC1.

Re: XWiki 5.1 on MyXWiki farm

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Kévin Laîné <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Marius
>
> I tried to install "Menu application" but it doesn't work  :
>

> "Dependency [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-oldcore-[5.1]] is not
> compatible with core extension
> [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-legacy-oldcore-5.0.1] "

arr.. I forgot about this. You can import the XAR of the Menu
Application instead of using the Extension Manager because in this
case all the dependencies are already provided so the result should be
the same.