[API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

[API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

I'd like to deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights() in favor of
Api.hasProgrammingRights(). It's not normal that we have 2 APIs for
doing the same thing and none of them being deprecated.

Is that ok for everyone?

Re: [API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

jeremi joslin-2
+1

On 2/2/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights() in favor of
> Api.hasProgrammingRights(). It's not normal that we have 2 APIs for
> doing the same thing and none of them being deprecated.
>
> Is that ok for everyone?

jeremi

Re: [API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

Jean-Vincent Drean
+1

2007/2/2, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights() in favor of
> Api.hasProgrammingRights(). It's not normal that we have 2 APIs for
> doing the same thing and none of them being deprecated.
>
> Is that ok for everyone?

Re: [API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

Ludovic Dubost

+1

I would also vote to deprecate Api.hasProgrammingRights in favor of

XWiki.hasProgrammingRights()

if it is possible.. It's not a very good idea to have these APIs in
Api.. I don't know why I had this crazy idea

Ludovic

Jean-Vincent Drean a écrit :

> +1
>
> 2007/2/2, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights() in favor of
>> Api.hasProgrammingRights(). It's not normal that we have 2 APIs for
>> doing the same thing and none of them being deprecated.
>>
>> Is that ok for everyone?

>> Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et
>> son interface révolutionnaire.
>> http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

On Feb 2, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> +1
>
> I would also vote to deprecate Api.hasProgrammingRights in favor of
>
> XWiki.hasProgrammingRights()
>
> if it is possible.. It's not a very good idea to have these APIs in
> Api.. I don't know why I had this crazy idea

yes, I completely agree :-) I thought it was strange too...

Let's do it in 2 steps as the second refactoring might be more
complex (I'll look into it).

On Feb 2, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
>

>> +1
>>
>> I would also vote to deprecate Api.hasProgrammingRights in favor of
>>
>> XWiki.hasProgrammingRights()
>>
>> if it is possible.. It's not a very good idea to have these APIs
>> in Api.. I don't know why I had this crazy idea
>
> yes, I completely agree :-) I thought it was strange too...
Let me rephrase that... I agree within the current architecture.

I really don't agree that there should be APIs for all possible stuff
located in XWiki (i.e. flatten the object tree).

My preference would be to have components and that each component has
a public API and that API be available from velocity or groovy. We
are already stretching the XWiki object too much. Thus any rights
check should be done through the Rights manager component.

Something like:

$container.lookup
("com.xpn.xwiki....RightsManager").hasProgrammingRights()

Of course we could register some well known components:

$rightsManager.hasProgrammingRights()

In Java:

public class MyClassRequiringRightsVerifications ...
{
     private RightsManager;
}

Then MyClassRequiringRightsVerifications is registered againt the
component manager (Plexus, OSGi, etc) with a dependency on the
RightsManager component so that it's injected either in the
constructor, in setters or in the field.

This is what I'd like to do for XWiki 2.0.

> Let's do it in 2 steps as the second refactoring might be more
> complex (I'll look into it).

>> Jean-Vincent Drean a écrit :
>>> +1

>> Ludovic Dubost
>> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

> _____
> Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et
> son interface révolutionnaire.
> http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: [API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

Sébastien Gaïde
Ludovic Dubost a écrit :

> +1
>
> I would also vote to deprecate Api.hasProgrammingRights in favor of
>
> XWiki.hasProgrammingRights()
>
> if it is possible.. It's not a very good idea to have these APIs in
> Api.. I don't know why I had this crazy idea

+1

And what do you think of :

xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights() ?

S.

On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Sébastien Gaïde wrote:

> Ludovic Dubost a écrit :
>> +1
>> I would also vote to deprecate Api.hasProgrammingRights in favor of
>> XWiki.hasProgrammingRights()
>> if it is possible.. It's not a very good idea to have these APIs
>> in Api.. I don't know why I had this crazy idea
>
> +1
>
> And what do you think of :
>
> xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights() ?
I think Rights is a cross cutting concern that spans across both
Users and Documents (and possibly other stuff too). I would
definitely see it as a component in itself and not inside either User
nor Documents.

In this way it's nicely decoupled and could be implemented in
different manner in the future: using a rule engine, using AOP, etc.

Vincent Massol a écrit :

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Sébastien Gaïde wrote:

>> And what do you think of :
>>
>> xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights() ?
>
> I think Rights is a cross cutting concern that spans across both Users
> and Documents (and possibly other stuff too). I would definitely see it
> as a component in itself and not inside either User nor Documents.
>
> In this way it's nicely decoupled and could be implemented in different
> manner in the future: using a rule engine, using AOP, etc.

I totally agree with this.
But in the context of a page content/xwiki application writer, what do
you think is more natural :

- xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights()

or

- rightManager.hasProgrammingRights()

?

I like the first solution, because the right is associated to the user,
and that fact is clearly expressed, even if the logic of the right
management is delegated to a RightManagement entity under the hood
(that's what an API is made for, isn't it ? ;-) ).

S.

Re: [API] Deprecate Api.checkProgrammingRights?

Sergiu Dumitriu
I really don't agree that there should be APIs for all possible stuff
located in XWiki ( i.e. flatten the object tree).

My preference would be to have components and that each component has
a public API and that API be available from velocity or groovy. We
are already stretching the XWiki object too much. Thus any rights
check should be done through the Rights manager component.
I was going to say something like that, too. This is what I'd like to see for XWiki 2.0.

>> And what do you think of :

>> xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights () ?
>
> I think Rights is a cross cutting concern that spans across both Users
> and Documents (and possibly other stuff too). I would definitely see it
> as a component in itself and not inside either User nor Documents.
>
> In this way it's nicely decoupled and could be implemented in different
> manner in the future: using a rule engine, using AOP, etc.

I totally agree with this.
But in the context of a page content/xwiki application writer, what do
you think is more natural :

- xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights()

or

- rightManager.hasProgrammingRights()

?

I like the first solution, because the right is associated to the user,
and that fact is clearly expressed, even if the logic of the right
management is delegated to a RightManagement entity under the hood
(that's what an API is made for, isn't it ? ;-) ).

I'd say both functions are useful, but not necessary. But this is something particular, meaning that no other APIs should alter existing APIs, so that different modules can be easily decoupled.

So, I'd say that by XWiki 2.0 we should have the second method, and add the first method only if many developers want it.
--
http://purl.org/net/sergiu

On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Sébastien Gaïde wrote:

> Vincent Massol a écrit :
>> On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Sébastien Gaïde wrote:
>
>>> And what do you think of :
>>>
>>> xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights() ?
>> I think Rights is a cross cutting concern that spans across both
>> Users and Documents (and possibly other stuff too). I would
>> definitely see it as a component in itself and not inside either
>> User nor Documents.
>> In this way it's nicely decoupled and could be implemented in
>> different manner in the future: using a rule engine, using AOP, etc.
>
> I totally agree with this.
> But in the context of a page content/xwiki application writer, what
> do you think is more natural :
>
> - xwiki.user.hasProgrammingRights()
>
> or
>
> - rightManager.hasProgrammingRights()
>
> ?
>
> I like the first solution, because the right is associated to the
> user, and that fact is clearly expressed, even if the logic of the
> right management is delegated to a RightManagement entity under the
> hood (that's what an API is made for, isn't it ? ;-) ).
Maybe... So rightsManager.hasRight(Rights, User, Document) would be
called by user.hasProgrammingRights(Rights.PROGRAMMING, Document).
With this thinking, we could go one step further and have
xwiki.hasProgrammingRights() without any parameter and it would call
rightsManager.hasRight() with the current document and the current
user... Back to square 1... ;-)

Alternatively we could move all this in:

xwiki.rights.hasProgrammingRights() (or rights.hasProgrammingRights
()) which would take no parameter (the context would be passed to it).