Adding XWiki to a standard Linux distribution (repository) is it possible ?

Adding XWiki to a standard Linux distribution (repository) is it possible ?

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi Devs,

I'm using fedora :)

And I can install mediawiki simply by issuing 'yum install mediawiki' I
wonder if we can make the same thing possible with XWiki ? Just a thought :)

Thanks.

- Asiri

Re: Adding XWiki to a standard Linux distribution (repository) is it possible ?

kaaloo
Hi Asiri,

I have looked into this issue for debian / ubuntu and it's not
straightforward.  The problem is that for an XWiki package to be
accepted in a linux distribution, at least debian and ubuntu,
dependent packages have to be identified and if missing have to be
packaged themselves.  Although a lot of them are, a lot of them aren't
or maybe will never be available because of licensing issues.

Looking at XE 1.6, there are about 120 jars that need to be tracked
down to see if there is a package available on your distribution.  Of
course the xwiki jars would need to be able to be built too.  One last
thing, it is currently not possible to use a maven build because it
pulls jars from the internet, although ant is fine.  I was interested
in working on this problem to map maven dependencies to available
packages but it is non trivial too and I haven't had time to look at
it for a while.

An analysis of the dependencies and the package status in your
distribution would be a first step.

Luis

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Asiri Rathnayake
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I'm using fedora :)
>
> And I can install mediawiki simply by issuing 'yum install mediawiki' I
> wonder if we can make the same thing possible with XWiki ? Just a thought :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Asiri

Luis Arias
+33 6 14 20 87 93