Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Tronicek
Hi,

in XWiki XE 1.6 and 1.6.1 the application "Wiki administration - Groups" behaves buggy.

As member count always 0 (zero) users are displayed.
After selection of a group the new window is not opened in inline mode. So it's not possible to create new groups or add a user to a group. No user is shown as a member.
Changing to online mode and trying to add a user leads to the message "Some users already exist in the group" (XWikiGroups object of this user already exists). Adding of a realy new member let the member list still empty.

I'm using virtual XWiki XE in virtual mode (XEM plugin),
Oracle 9iR2 Database,
JBoss 4.2.1 GA

I'll try out XE 1.7 next.

Is there a known problem?

Thanks,
Rudolf

Re: Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Jean-Vincent Drean
Hi,

With the rights managements UI [1] the suggested way to edit groups is
to click on the small edit icon at the right of the group row.

Here's the scenario I've just tried successfully on a XE 1.6.1 install
(XEM plugin) :
 - created a new group
 - clicked on the edit button at the right of the row
 - added a new local user to the group
 - back to the groups list the correct number of members is displayed
for the newly created group

Now the administrator is supposed to be able to edit the group by
going to the group page, here's the scenario blah blah :
 - created a new group
 - clicked on its name **
 - clicked on "edit" in the top menu
 - added a new local user to the group
 - the page is immediately reloaded with the new member appearing in the list

Do you see any JavaScript error when you edit the group with this
method ? Which browser are you using ? If firefox can you try this
scenario with http://getfirebug.com/ installed ?

Side developer note : I'd be in favor of removing the link on the
group name (see ** above), I think the RMUI should be self-sufficient,
the AJAX UI in the inline view of group pages is disturbing imho. WDYT
?

[1] : http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise12M2#HNewRightsManagementUI

Thanks,
JV.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Tronicek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in XWiki XE 1.6 and 1.6.1 the application "Wiki administration - Groups"
> behaves buggy.
>
> As member count always 0 (zero) users are displayed.
> After selection of a group the new window is not opened in inline mode. So
> it's not possible to create new groups or add a user to a group. No user is
> shown as a member.
> Changing to online mode and trying to add a user leads to the message "Some
> users already exist in the group" (XWikiGroups object of this user already
> exists). Adding of a realy new member let the member list still empty.
>
> I'm using virtual XWiki XE in virtual mode (XEM plugin),
> Oracle 9iR2 Database,
> JBoss 4.2.1 GA
>
> I'll try out XE 1.7 next.
>
> Is there a known problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Rudolf

Jean-Vincent Drean

Re: Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Tronicek
Hi,

i've done some checks now...

Last check: i downloaded the Jetty zip-version of XE 1.7 Milestone 1.

Result:
1) Using HSQLDB the number of users is shown at the rights management UI.
2) Using Oracle XE the number of users is not shown. Members of the group are not shown in the UI popup either.

To enable Oracle XE in Jetty package i copied ojdbc14.jar file to xwiki/WEB-INF/lib and changed the entries in hibernate.cfg.xml to use XE database.

XWiki user on XE database was recreated, browser caches (Firefox and IE7) were purged.
After import of xwiki-enterprise-wiki-1.7-milestone-1.xar i loged in as user Admin.

I don't know the difference causing this behaviour in using HSQLDB or Oracle XE.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Rudolf

Jean-Vincent Drean wrote

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Tronicek <Tronicek@web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in XWiki XE 1.6 and 1.6.1 the application "Wiki administration - Groups"
> behaves buggy.
>
> As member count always 0 (zero) users are displayed.
> After selection of a group the new window is not opened in inline mode. So
> it's not possible to create new groups or add a user to a group. No user is
> shown as a member.
> Changing to online mode and trying to add a user leads to the message "Some
> users already exist in the group" (XWikiGroups object of this user already
> exists). Adding of a realy new member let the member list still empty.
>
> I'm using virtual XWiki XE in virtual mode (XEM plugin),
> Oracle 9iR2 Database,
> JBoss 4.2.1 GA
>
> I'll try out XE 1.7 next.
>
> Is there a known problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Rudolf

Jean-Vincent Drean

Re: Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Tronicek
Jean-Vincent Drean wrote
Do you see any JavaScript error when you edit the group with this
method ? Which browser are you using ? If firefox can you try this
scenario with http://getfirebug.com/ installed ?
Thanks for response.

There is no JavaScript error to be seen (firebug). No output on JBoss console.
On firebug console following AJAX response is received (Oracle XE database):

{
"totalrows": 2,
"returnedrows":  2 ,
"offset": 1,
"reqNo": 1,
"rows": [
         {"username"      : "XWikiAdminGroup",
    "fullname"      : "XWiki.XWikiAdminGroup",
    "wikiname"      : "local",
    "members"       : "0",
    "userurl"       : "/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiAdminGroup",
    "usersaveurl"   : "/xwiki/bin/save/XWiki/XWikiAdminGroup",
    "userinlineurl" : "/xwiki/bin/inline/XWiki/XWikiAdminGroup?xpage=editgroup",
    "docurl"        : "/xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?section=Groups"
  }
       ,    {"username"      : "XWikiAllGroup",
    "fullname"      : "XWiki.XWikiAllGroup",
    "wikiname"      : "local",
    "members"       : "0",
    "userurl"       : "/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiAllGroup",
    "usersaveurl"   : "/xwiki/bin/save/XWiki/XWikiAllGroup",
    "userinlineurl" : "/xwiki/bin/inline/XWiki/XWikiAllGroup?xpage=editgroup",
    "docurl"        : "/xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?section=Groups"
  }
]}

Re: Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Tronicek
Was fixed by developer group => XE 1.7M2 (JIRA, XWIKI-2777):
'...empty strings in Oracle are NULL, and null can only be checked with "is (not) null", and not with normal string comparison.'

Confirm that it's working with 1.7-SNAPSHOT.

Thanks,
Rudolf

Re: Administration of Groups not valid since 1.6

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Tronicek wrote:
> Was fixed by developer group => XE 1.7M2 (JIRA, XWIKI-2777):
> '...empty strings in Oracle are NULL, and null can only be checked with "is
> (not) null", and not with normal string comparison.'
>
> Confirm that it's working with 1.7-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Thanks,
> Rudolf

Thanks for the confirmation, Rudolf.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/