Application Manager from Thomas M.

I'm about to commit the Application Manager from Thomas Mortagne. He
has partially implemented this idea: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/
view/Design/ApplicationManager

It's composed of 2 modules:
- a plugin
- a set of documents (XAR)

It allows to create applications inside a wiki by creating a page
which acts as an Application Descriptor and which contains definition
of all documents in an application, the version of the application,
etc. It also allows to export an application as a XAR file (a
standard XAR + this Application Descriptor). All in all it has 2-3
pages for managing applications, listing installed applications, etc.

I'm going to do the following:

1) Commit his work in platform/plugins and platform/applications
2) Document it on xwiki.org in the Applications section of the Code Zone

Later on, I think we could start using it for splitting XE into
separate applications.

Just to let you know. As usual let me know if you think there's a
problem.

Re: Application Manager from Thomas M.

Ludovic Dubost-2

Hi Vincent

+1

I think it would be great if applications have an "active" field and
have a "translations" field which would be parsed by XWiki to load
translations. This is the first need I see which would help deployment.
Once it sufficiently documented we should deprecate the Packager that is
published on xwiki.org

Ludovic

Vincent Massol a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to commit the Application Manager from Thomas Mortagne. He
> has partially implemented this idea: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/
> view/Design/ApplicationManager
>
> It's composed of 2 modules:
> - a plugin
> - a set of documents (XAR)
>
> It allows to create applications inside a wiki by creating a page
> which acts as an Application Descriptor and which contains definition
> of all documents in an application, the version of the application,
> etc. It also allows to export an application as a XAR file (a
> standard XAR + this Application Descriptor). All in all it has 2-3
> pages for managing applications, listing installed applications, etc.
>
> I'm going to do the following:
>
> 1) Commit his work in platform/plugins and platform/applications
> 2) Document it on xwiki.org in the Applications section of the Code Zone
>
> Later on, I think we could start using it for splitting XE into
> separate applications.
>
> Just to let you know. As usual let me know if you think there's a
> problem.

Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

2007/9/12, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Vincent
>
> +1
>
> I think it would be great if applications have an "active" field and
> have a "translations" field which would be parsed by XWiki to load
> translations. This is the first need I see which would help deployment.
> Once it sufficiently documented we should deprecate the Packager that is
> published on xwiki.org

Vincent forgot to say that Application Manager also support
"translation" pages in the descriptor that are, for now, updated in
XWikiPreferences when installing or reload application :)

> Ludovic
>
> Vincent Massol a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about to commit the Application Manager from Thomas Mortagne. He
> > has partially implemented this idea: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/
> > view/Design/ApplicationManager
> >
> > It's composed of 2 modules:
> > - a plugin
> > - a set of documents (XAR)
> >
> > It allows to create applications inside a wiki by creating a page
> > which acts as an Application Descriptor and which contains definition
> > of all documents in an application, the version of the application,
> > etc. It also allows to export an application as a XAR file (a
> > standard XAR + this Application Descriptor). All in all it has 2-3
> > pages for managing applications, listing installed applications, etc.
> >
> > I'm going to do the following:
> >
> > 1) Commit his work in platform/plugins and platform/applications
> > 2) Document it on xwiki.org in the Applications section of the Code Zone
> >
> > Later on, I think we could start using it for splitting XE into
> > separate applications.
> >
> > Just to let you know. As usual let me know if you think there's a
> > problem.

> Ludovic Dubost
> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
> AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

Re: Application Manager from Thomas M.

ebullient
This sounds a lot like what the "Packager" application already in the
CodeZone does...

http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/PackagerApplication

I assume you'd be basing partly on that, rather than starting from scratch?

I've made minor changes to the Application since I d/led it... but the
PackageClass is essentially the ApplicationDescriptor, and there
already is an Export page which takes care of exporting the documents.

It's currently based on a text-field list of documents.. with the
Applications I manage, it works just fine, as I know the documents in
the application, and include the Package document w/in the xar I
export.

I was going to add a variant of the Export document that will do a
query based on the space, and generate a xar based on the result of
the query...

On 9/12/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/9/12, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi Vincent
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I think it would be great if applications have an "active" field and
> > have a "translations" field which would be parsed by XWiki to load
> > translations. This is the first need I see which would help deployment.
> > Once it sufficiently documented we should deprecate the Packager that is
> > published on xwiki.org
>
> Vincent forgot to say that Application Manager also support
> "translation" pages in the descriptor that are, for now, updated in
> XWikiPreferences when installing or reload application :)
>

> > Ludovic
> >
> > Vincent Massol a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm about to commit the Application Manager from Thomas Mortagne. He
> > > has partially implemented this idea: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/
> > > view/Design/ApplicationManager
> > >
> > > It's composed of 2 modules:
> > > - a plugin
> > > - a set of documents (XAR)
> > >
> > > It allows to create applications inside a wiki by creating a page
> > > which acts as an Application Descriptor and which contains definition
> > > of all documents in an application, the version of the application,
> > > etc. It also allows to export an application as a XAR file (a
> > > standard XAR + this Application Descriptor). All in all it has 2-3
> > > pages for managing applications, listing installed applications, etc.
> > >
> > > I'm going to do the following:
> > >
> > > 1) Commit his work in platform/plugins and platform/applications
> > > 2) Document it on xwiki.org in the Applications section of the Code Zone
> > >
> > > Later on, I think we could start using it for splitting XE into
> > > separate applications.
> > >
> > > Just to let you know. As usual let me know if you think there's a
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > Ludovic Dubost
> > Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> > XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> > Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
> > AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

Re: Application Manager from Thomas M.

ebullient
I should ammend, it interacts w/ the packager plugin that's already
part of the base:
  com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.packaging...

On 9/14/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds a lot like what the "Packager" application already in the
> CodeZone does...
>
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/PackagerApplication
>
> I assume you'd be basing partly on that, rather than starting from scratch?
>
> I've made minor changes to the Application since I d/led it... but the
> PackageClass is essentially the ApplicationDescriptor, and there
> already is an Export page which takes care of exporting the documents.
>
> It's currently based on a text-field list of documents.. with the
> Applications I manage, it works just fine, as I know the documents in
> the application, and include the Package document w/in the xar I
> export.
>
> I was going to add a variant of the Export document that will do a
> query based on the space, and generate a xar based on the result of
> the query...
>

> On 9/12/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2007/9/12, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Hi Vincent
> > >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > I think it would be great if applications have an "active" field and
> > > have a "translations" field which would be parsed by XWiki to load
> > > translations. This is the first need I see which would help deployment.
> > > Once it sufficiently documented we should deprecate the Packager that is
> > > published on xwiki.org
> >
> > Vincent forgot to say that Application Manager also support
> > "translation" pages in the descriptor that are, for now, updated in
> > XWikiPreferences when installing or reload application :)
> >

> > > Ludovic

> > > --
> > > Ludovic Dubost
> > > Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> > > XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> > > Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
> > > AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

> > Thomas Mortagne

> 'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

Re: Application Manager from Thomas M.

Hi Erin,

It's true they are both very similar. Actually I'm not even sure
Thomas (who did the new Application Manager application and plugin)
knew about this one (Did you Thomas?).

That said the new App Manager sounds more finished to me and I think
it should supercede and deprecate this Packager application.

Actually in the future, I'd like that all 3 merge into a single
Packager, inside the Core so that there's a single way to define
applications and to import/export them.

The next step after that would be to modify the XAR format so that it
bundles not only XWiki XML files but also XWiki Plugins and external
JARs.

BTW, this reminds me that I had posted an early design for re-
implementing the current Packager in the Core:
http://www.nabble.com/-Proposal--New-Importer-Architecture-
tf3535641.html#a9869030

I had also put it there:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewImporterArchitecture

On Sep 14, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Erin Schnabel wrote:

> I should ammend, it interacts w/ the packager plugin that's already
> part of the base:
>   com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.packaging...

Right, it's just an extension of it that adds an Application
Descriptor and API to manage it.

It's an early implementation of http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/
Design/ApplicationManager

-Vincent

> On 9/14/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This sounds a lot like what the "Packager" application already in the
>> CodeZone does...
>>
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/PackagerApplication
>>
>> I assume you'd be basing partly on that, rather than starting from
>> scratch?
>>
>> I've made minor changes to the Application since I d/led it... but
>> the
>> PackageClass is essentially the ApplicationDescriptor, and there
>> already is an Export page which takes care of exporting the
>> documents.
>>
>> It's currently based on a text-field list of documents.. with the
>> Applications I manage, it works just fine, as I know the documents in
>> the application, and include the Package document w/in the xar I
>> export.
>>
>> I was going to add a variant of the Export document that will do a
>> query based on the space, and generate a xar based on the result of
>> the query...

>>> Vincent forgot to say that Application Manager also support
>>> "translation" pages in the descriptor that are, for now, updated in
>>> XWikiPreferences when installing or reload application :)

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

>> 'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee
>>

> --
> 'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

Re: Application Manager from Thomas M.

My first need when I made this application manager was to be able to
organize an entire wiki as applications tree with the wiki itself as
top application to easily manage wiki template and share applications
between wikis.

Export an application is just a useful feature of this application
manager, not the main goal. To do this export I simply looked at how
the Administration Import/Export pages do and then use the internal
xwiki package plugin.