[ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

[ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

Hi all,

Actually application descriptor contains a field that list all
document application contains.

I would like to add to Application Manager a way to be able to add
"all the documents of space SpaceName" for example.

I already implemented a solution and I would like you to comment and
me to modify if needed.

When XWikiApplication.resolveDocumentsNames is called, it list all
document and one by one look if the document name is between "[" and
"]", if so it consider document name as sql matching string usable
with "like". So for example you will add "[XWiki.%]" if you want to
add all documents in the XWiki space to the application document list.

This feature is supported for "documents list" and also "document list
to include"

WDYT ?

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

Stéphane Laurière-6
Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Actually application descriptor contains a field that list all
> document application contains.
>
> I would like to add to Application Manager a way to be able to add
> "all the documents of space SpaceName" for example.

That would be a nice feature indeed.

I started using the ApplicationManager for the XWiki help desk app. The
management of translations is really handy! I'm adding "{table}" at
the beginning and the end of the list of properties for a better display.

> I already implemented a solution and I would like you to comment and
> me to modify if needed.
>
> When XWikiApplication.resolveDocumentsNames is called, it list all
> document and one by one look if the document name is between "[" and
> "]", if so it consider document name as sql matching string usable
> with "like". So for example you will add "[XWiki.%]" if you want to
> add all documents in the XWiki space to the application document
> list.

Sounds ok to me, but do we really need the brackets?

Couldn't we simply write this type of list:
XAppManager.%|XAppResources.Translations

It would then be parsed and submitted to the sql engine directly,
couldn't it? We could use the "like" clause for all occurrencies, or
check whether each occurrence contains the character '%' in case the
"like" clause is more heavy than an exact match clause.

> This feature is supported for "documents list" and also "document
> list to include"

Actually, what's the purpose of the field "document list to include" and
"document links"? I couldn't find the info from the online documentation
at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/ApplicationManagerApplication

Cheers

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
[hidden email]

XWiki http://www.xwiki.com
http://concerto.xwiki.com
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

Hi Stéphane,

2007/10/1, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]>:

> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Actually application descriptor contains a field that list all
> > document application contains.
> >
> > I would like to add to Application Manager a way to be able to add
> > "all the documents of space SpaceName" for example.
>
> That would be a nice feature indeed.
>
> I started using the ApplicationManager for the XWiki help desk app. The
> management of translations is really handy! I'm adding "{table}" at
> the beginning and the end of the list of properties for a better display.
>
> > I already implemented a solution and I would like you to comment and
> > me to modify if needed.
> >
> > When XWikiApplication.resolveDocumentsNames is called, it list all
> > document and one by one look if the document name is between "[" and
> > "]", if so it consider document name as sql matching string usable
> > with "like". So for example you will add "[XWiki.%]" if you want to
> > add all documents in the XWiki space to the application document
> > list.
>
> Sounds ok to me, but do we really need the brackets?
>
> Couldn't we simply write this type of list:
> XAppManager.%|XAppResources.Translations

I added % for... lets say security reasons as an URL and so a page
name can contains "%" I thinks but not very sure on that.

> It would then be parsed and submitted to the sql engine directly,
> couldn't it? We could use the "like" clause for all occurrencies, or
> check whether each occurrence contains the character '%' in case the
> "like" clause is more heavy than an exact match clause.
>
> > This feature is supported for "documents list" and also "document
> > list to include"
>
> Actually, what's the purpose of the field "document list to include" and
> "document links"? I couldn't find the info from the online documentation
> at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/ApplicationManagerApplication

"includes" and "links" target multi wikis. It is the pages that are
included or linked when create a wiki from a template wiki. It is used
to configure what is shared between wikis.

"Links" is not used yet as it need not supported feature in XWiki :
real links between pages, I forgot to hide it in interface.

2007/10/1, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Stéphane,
>
> 2007/10/1, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]>:
> > Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Actually application descriptor contains a field that list all
> > > document application contains.
> > >
> > > I would like to add to Application Manager a way to be able to add
> > > "all the documents of space SpaceName" for example.
> >
> > That would be a nice feature indeed.
> >
> > I started using the ApplicationManager for the XWiki help desk app. The
> > management of translations is really handy! I'm adding "{table}" at
> > the beginning and the end of the list of properties for a better display.
> >
> > > I already implemented a solution and I would like you to comment and
> > > me to modify if needed.
> > >
> > > When XWikiApplication.resolveDocumentsNames is called, it list all
> > > document and one by one look if the document name is between "[" and
> > > "]", if so it consider document name as sql matching string usable
> > > with "like". So for example you will add "[XWiki.%]" if you want to
> > > add all documents in the XWiki space to the application document
> > > list.
> >
> > Sounds ok to me, but do we really need the brackets?
> >
> > Couldn't we simply write this type of list:
> > XAppManager.%|XAppResources.Translations
>
> I added % for... lets say security reasons as an URL and so a page
> name can contains "%" I thinks but not very sure on that.
>

> > It would then be parsed and submitted to the sql engine directly,
> > couldn't it? We could use the "like" clause for all occurrencies, or
> > check whether each occurrence contains the character '%' in case the
> > "like" clause is more heavy than an exact match clause.

I forgot, I said "one by one" but all "[]" matching in a list are
merged in only one sql request. It can also be easily merged between
applications and all his dependencies too.

> > > This feature is supported for "documents list" and also "document
> > > list to include"
> >
> > Actually, what's the purpose of the field "document list to include" and
> > "document links"? I couldn't find the info from the online documentation
> > at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/ApplicationManagerApplication
>
> "includes" and "links" target multi wikis. It is the pages that are
> included or linked when create a wiki from a template wiki. It is used
> to configure what is shared between wikis.
>
> "Links" is not used yet as it need not supported feature in XWiki :
> real links between pages, I forgot to hide it in interface.
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > Stéphane
> >
> > > WDYT ?
> > >

> > --
> > Stéphane Laurière
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > XWiki http://www.xwiki.com
> > http://concerto.xwiki.com
> > http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

Jean-Vincent Drean
> When XWikiApplication.resolveDocumentsNames is called, it list all
> document and one by one look if the document name is between "[" and
> "]", if so it consider document name as sql matching string usable
> with "like". So for example you will add "[XWiki.%]" if you want to
> add all documents in the XWiki space to the application document list.

Nice feature!

It'll be more powerful than a new space list considering filters like
"AppClasses.%Class" which make the export more "secured" (no more
AppClasses.Test for example ;).

I'm -1 for the use of % since special chars are prefixed with % in urls.
I'd be +1 for the brackets free syntax.

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

ebullient
*chuckles*

I added that not too long ago to my modest revamp of the Packager
application that was already in the CodeZone (The predecessor to this,
with several similar features).. I was going to share those updates,
but realized that this would soon make them obsolete, but yes..
allowing a whole space to be packaged together (especially when it
really does constitute an app) is immensely useful.

;)

On 10/1/07, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > When XWikiApplication.resolveDocumentsNames is called, it list all
> > document and one by one look if the document name is between "[" and
> > "]", if so it consider document name as sql matching string usable
> > with "like". So for example you will add "[XWiki.%]" if you want to
> > add all documents in the XWiki space to the application document list.
> >

> Nice feature!
>
> It'll be more powerful than a new space list considering filters like
> "AppClasses.%Class" which make the export more "secured" (no more
> AppClasses.Test for example ;).
>
> I'm -1 for the use of % since special chars are prefixed with % in urls.
> I'd be +1 for the brackets free syntax.

'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

ebullient
Now that I've picked it up...
Is there any real reason why the AppManager has to span 6 spaces?

I can understand having XAppManager, and perhaps XAppUtil or
XAppResource (XAppApp doesnt' really work.. :-) but I don't like
having XApp, and XAppClasses and XAppManager and XAppResources and
XAppSheets and XAppTemplates..
that's just a waste of spaces... users ask for lists of spaces all of
the time.. why should we be adding so many?

I would prefer:

XApp.XWikiApplicationXapp
XApp.XWikiApplicationXwikiapplicationclass

XAppManager.CreateApplication
XAppManager.WebHome
XAppManager.Translations
XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClass
XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassSheet
XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassTemplate

XAppManager is then clearly the XAppManager application, and XApp's
are the applications it manages. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like
having things spread out spaghetti in a lot of spaces... Maybe that's
fine on small installs, but when you have 100 or so spaces, it's
annoying to spontaneously pick up 4 more...

On 10/1/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/10/1, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi Stéphane,

> > > That would be a nice feature indeed.
> > >
> > > I started using the ApplicationManager for the XWiki help desk app. The
> > > management of translations is really handy! I'm adding "{table}" at
> > > the beginning and the end of the list of properties for a better display.

> > > Sounds ok to me, but do we really need the brackets?
> > >
> > > Couldn't we simply write this type of list:
> > > XAppManager.%|XAppResources.Translations
> >
> > I added % for... lets say security reasons as an URL and so a page
> > name can contains "%" I thinks but not very sure on that.
> >

> > > It would then be parsed and submitted to the sql engine directly,
> > > couldn't it? We could use the "like" clause for all occurrencies, or
> > > check whether each occurrence contains the character '%' in case the
> > > "like" clause is more heavy than an exact match clause.
>
> I forgot, I said "one by one" but all "[]" matching in a list are
> merged in only one sql request. It can also be easily merged between
> applications and all his dependencies too.

> > > Actually, what's the purpose of the field "document list to include" and
> > > "document links"? I couldn't find the info from the online documentation
> > > at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Code/ApplicationManagerApplication
> >
> > "includes" and "links" target multi wikis. It is the pages that are
> > included or linked when create a wiki from a template wiki. It is used
> > to configure what is shared between wikis.
> >
> > "Links" is not used yet as it need not supported feature in XWiki :
> > real links between pages, I forgot to hide it in interface.
> >

> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Stéphane

> > > --
> > > Stéphane Laurière
> > > [hidden email]
> > >
> > > XWiki http://www.xwiki.com
> > > http://concerto.xwiki.com
> > > http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

> > Thomas Mortagne

'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

I would also use a single space at first glance. Make things better
isolated.

What we really need are sub spaces or rather hierarchical paths. See
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-354

-Vincent

On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:00 AM, Erin Schnabel wrote:

> Now that I've picked it up...
> Is there any real reason why the AppManager has to span 6 spaces?
>
> I can understand having XAppManager, and perhaps XAppUtil or
> XAppResource (XAppApp doesnt' really work.. :-) but I don't like
> having XApp, and XAppClasses and XAppManager and XAppResources and
> XAppSheets and XAppTemplates..
> that's just a waste of spaces... users ask for lists of spaces all of
> the time.. why should we be adding so many?
>
> I would prefer:
>
> XApp.XWikiApplicationXapp
> XApp.XWikiApplicationXwikiapplicationclass
>
> XAppManager.CreateApplication
> XAppManager.WebHome
> XAppManager.Translations
> XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClass
> XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassSheet
> XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassTemplate
>
> XAppManager is then clearly the XAppManager application, and XApp's
> are the applications it manages. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like
> having things spread out spaghetti in a lot of spaces... Maybe that's
> fine on small installs, but when you have 100 or so spaces, it's
> annoying to spontaneously pick up 4 more...
>

> On 10/1/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2007/10/1, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Stéphane,

>>> I added % for... lets say security reasons as an URL and so a page
>>> name can contains "%" I thinks but not very sure on that.

>> I forgot, I said "one by one" but all "[]" matching in a list are
>> merged in only one sql request. It can also be easily merged between
>> applications and all his dependencies too.

>>> "includes" and "links" target multi wikis. It is the pages that are
>>> included or linked when create a wiki from a template wiki. It is
>>> used
>>> to configure what is shared between wikis.
>>>
>>> "Links" is not used yet as it need not supported feature in XWiki :
>>> real links between pages, I forgot to hide it in interface.

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

I also would prefer to use subspaces but without that I much more
prefer separate all aspect of an application in different spaces. In
almost all use cases users only access XApp and XAppManager that
contains only user oriented interfaces.

2007/10/4, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:

> I would also use a single space at first glance. Make things better
> isolated.
>
> What we really need are sub spaces or rather hierarchical paths. See
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-354
>
> -Vincent
>
> On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:00 AM, Erin Schnabel wrote:
>
> > Now that I've picked it up...
> > Is there any real reason why the AppManager has to span 6 spaces?
> >
> > I can understand having XAppManager, and perhaps XAppUtil or
> > XAppResource (XAppApp doesnt' really work.. :-) but I don't like
> > having XApp, and XAppClasses and XAppManager and XAppResources and
> > XAppSheets and XAppTemplates..
> > that's just a waste of spaces... users ask for lists of spaces all of
> > the time.. why should we be adding so many?
> >
> > I would prefer:
> >
> > XApp.XWikiApplicationXapp
> > XApp.XWikiApplicationXwikiapplicationclass
> >
> > XAppManager.CreateApplication
> > XAppManager.WebHome
> > XAppManager.Translations
> > XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClass
> > XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassSheet
> > XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassTemplate
> >
> > XAppManager is then clearly the XAppManager application, and XApp's
> > are the applications it manages. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like
> > having things spread out spaghetti in a lot of spaces... Maybe that's
> > fine on small installs, but when you have 100 or so spaces, it's
> > annoying to spontaneously pick up 4 more...

> >> I forgot, I said "one by one" but all "[]" matching in a list are
> >> merged in only one sql request. It can also be easily merged between
> >> applications and all his dependencies too.

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

goldring, richard

Does anyone know if the bug with XWiki rendering carriage returns has been
fixed in the latest version of XWiki? My users don't like this 'feature' at
all - they like to structure their text into paragraphs.

Richard

matching string in the list of documents

I also would prefer to use subspaces but without that I much more
prefer separate all aspect of an application in different spaces. In
almost all use cases users only access XApp and XAppManager that
contains only user oriented interfaces.

2007/10/4, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:

> I would also use a single space at first glance. Make things better
> isolated.
>
> What we really need are sub spaces or rather hierarchical paths. See
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-354
>
> -Vincent
>
> On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:00 AM, Erin Schnabel wrote:
>
> > Now that I've picked it up...
> > Is there any real reason why the AppManager has to span 6 spaces?
> >
> > I can understand having XAppManager, and perhaps XAppUtil or
> > XAppResource (XAppApp doesnt' really work.. :-) but I don't like
> > having XApp, and XAppClasses and XAppManager and XAppResources and
> > XAppSheets and XAppTemplates..
> > that's just a waste of spaces... users ask for lists of spaces all of
> > the time.. why should we be adding so many?
> >
> > I would prefer:
> >
> > XApp.XWikiApplicationXapp
> > XApp.XWikiApplicationXwikiapplicationclass
> >
> > XAppManager.CreateApplication
> > XAppManager.WebHome
> > XAppManager.Translations
> > XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClass
> > XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassSheet
> > XAppManager.XWikiApplicationClassTemplate
> >
> > XAppManager is then clearly the XAppManager application, and XApp's
> > are the applications it manages. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like
> > having things spread out spaghetti in a lot of spaces... Maybe that's
> > fine on small installs, but when you have 100 or so spaces, it's
> > annoying to spontaneously pick up 4 more...

> >> I forgot, I said "one by one" but all "[]" matching in a list are
> >> merged in only one sql request. It can also be easily merged between
> >> applications and all his dependencies too.

Thales UK Ltd (Wells) DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail
is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for
the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is
unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy,
circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in
this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful. We may monitor all
e-mail communications through our networks. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please inform us immediately on +44 (0) 1749 672081 and delete it
and all copies from your system. We accept no responsibility for changes to
any e-mail which occur after it has been sent.  Attachments to this e-mail
may contain software viruses which could damage your system.  We therefore
recommend you virus-check all attachments before opening. A business of
Thales UK Ltd. Registered Office: 2 Dashwood Lang Road, The Bourne Business
Park, Addlestone, Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2NX Registered in England No.
868273

On 10/4/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also would prefer to use subspaces but without that I much more
> prefer separate all aspect of an application in different spaces. In
> almost all use cases users only access XApp and XAppManager that
> contains only user oriented interfaces.

I don't think that argument holds water. The user interface is
essentially WebHome.. all of the rest are in support of WebHome. Even
CreateApplication can be integrated (as a form, for example) into
WebHome, if you like. Having a lot of isolated spaces just doesn't
make sense, especially from the user perspective of partioning
content...

Erin Schnabel wrote:

> On 10/4/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I also would prefer to use subspaces but without that I much more
>> prefer separate all aspect of an application in different spaces.
>> In almost all use cases users only access XApp and XAppManager that
>>  contains only user oriented interfaces.
>>

> I don't think that argument holds water. The user interface is
> essentially WebHome.. all of the rest are in support of WebHome. Even
>  CreateApplication can be integrated (as a form, for example) into
> WebHome, if you like. Having a lot of isolated spaces just doesn't
> make sense, especially from the user perspective of partioning
> content...

+1 for less spaces until the sub-space feature is implemented or until
we use properties attached to pages for organizing them (type:Class,
type:template, type:sheet etc.).

Stéphane

Re: [ApplicationManager] [Proposal] Insert matching string in the list of documents

Jean-Vincent Drean
+1 for using one space for apps with less than 3 classes but with
bigger ones it just becomes necessary to isolate the different parts.

Here's an application I develop on top of xwiki, I'd have went mad
without the classes/templates/sheets kind of organization :

- 9 classes
- 9 sheets
- 24 templates
- 8 "services" (ajaxly called scripts)
- 21 scripts (macros, custom displayer, jscode)
- 9 utils scripts
- 3 resources (2 skins, 1 translation page)
- 6 Admin pages
= 89 pages in the application

my 2 cents,
JV.