[ArchitectureV2] General principles

I'd like to propose the following general principles for the V2
Architecture (http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Idea/ArchitectureV2):

* XWiki Core API is made only of interfaces. These are all the
interfaces that are implemented by components
* XWiki Components are simple java classes (POJO) implementing the
XWiki interfaces.
* XWiki Core Distributions consist in XWiki Core + some chosen
components. Our current XWiki will be a Core Distribution.
* XWiki Containers are special modules that integrate XWiki in a
given container. For example: integration in Servlet Containers (this
means a web.xml file, servlet context listeners, packaging in a WAR,
etc), in Portlet Container, in J2ME environments, etc. XWiki
Containers depend on XWiki Core Distributions.

Are we ok with this?

If so, I'll move that to http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Idea/
ArchitectureV2

PS: I'll keep sending some Architecture ideas so that we start
shaping up our Architecture document and so that everyone has a clear
idea of what's happening and can participate.

Re: [ArchitectureV2] General principles

Sergiu Dumitriu
OK with me.

Should I imagine XWiki without velocity? Why not, there could be a XWiki distribution based on JSP, or one based on XML+RDF+XQuey+XSLT. Maybe XWiki 3.0 will have these. We should ask ourself if this is possible when we design the architecture. The core will be correctly defined when we can easily achieve this goal.

Sergiu.

Hi,

--
http://purl.org/net/sergiu

On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

OK with me.

Should I imagine XWiki without velocity? Why not, there could be a XWiki distribution based on JSP, or one based on XML+RDF+XQuey+XSLT. Maybe XWiki 3.0 will have these. We should ask ourself if this is possible when we design the architecture. The core will be correctly defined when we can easily achieve this goal.

I agree and I took that into account in the proposals I sent.

-Vincent

[...]

jeremi joslin-2
On 3/20/07, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK with me.
>
> Should I imagine XWiki without velocity? Why not, there could be a XWiki
> distribution based on JSP, or one based on XML+RDF+XQuey+XSLT. Maybe XWiki
I  would love to have an xwiki with php scripting language because so
many people know this language. see
http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/quercus/ can be a starting point.

Jeremi

--
Jeremi Joslin (http://www.jeremi.info)
skype: jeremi23 - jabber: [hidden email]