[Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

[Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

Adel Atallah
Hi devs,

Working on the auto-suggestion feature [1], I've been integrating it
in xproperties holding a reference to a page. Those xproperties are of
type String and have been changed to the Page type so that the page
displayer is used and shows the auto-suggestion when needed.

I now need to implement an auto-suggestion on xproperties holding a
reference to a space (e.g [2]), a wiki (e.g [2]) and an attachment
(e.g. [3]).
I think the best would be to create an Attachment and Wiki xproperty
type and create new displayers exactly like the Page type.

I don't think we can create a Space xproperty because it's not meant
to be visible by the end user.
Maybe we could use the Page xproperty type and have a parameter inside
to select only spaces.

Adel

--------
[1] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference
[2] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.WatchListClass
[3] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.XWikiUsers

Re: [Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Spaces are a deprecated concept so we shouldn't create any type for them.
The macros that provide such parameters should be rewritten and use only
the Page param.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Working on the auto-suggestion feature [1], I've been integrating it
> in xproperties holding a reference to a page. Those xproperties are of
> type String and have been changed to the Page type so that the page
> displayer is used and shows the auto-suggestion when needed.
>
> I now need to implement an auto-suggestion on xproperties holding a
> reference to a space (e.g [2]), a wiki (e.g [2]) and an attachment
> (e.g. [3]).
>

> I think the best would be to create an Attachment and Wiki xproperty
> type and create new displayers exactly like the Page type.

+1

> I don't think we can create a Space xproperty because it's not meant
> to be visible by the end user.
>

> Maybe we could use the Page xproperty type and have a parameter inside
> to select only spaces.

+1, that's actually useful for enforcing the selection of non-terminal
pages. That's useful for instance when you want to select the location
where to create some pages: the selected page should not be terminal.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Working on the auto-suggestion feature [1], I've been integrating it
> in xproperties holding a reference to a page. Those xproperties are of
> type String and have been changed to the Page type so that the page
> displayer is used and shows the auto-suggestion when needed.

Since we talk about new entity properties types and bring back the
following subject: a pity the type is called "page" since it actually
contain document reference and collide with the new page reference.
But hard to change now...

We'll need to introduce a new type which store serialized
PageReference at some point since that's what most new xobjects should
use ideally. But it can't be used for existing property which
currently contain document references since the syntax is different.

The best to avoid confusion with two different "page*" types names
would probably be to have the PageClass have a type which could be:
* document (set to existing page properties with a migration)
* page (the default)
* space ?

BaseClass#addPageField hasn't been released yet (@since 10.8RC1) so
it's the right time, later we would have to keep "document" as the
default in it which would not be very elegant since we want people to
use page reference in the future as much as possible.

> I now need to implement an auto-suggestion on xproperties holding a
> reference to a space (e.g [2]), a wiki (e.g [2]) and an attachment
> (e.g. [3]).
> I think the best would be to create an Attachment and Wiki xproperty
> type and create new displayers exactly like the Page type.
>
> I don't think we can create a Space xproperty because it's not meant
> to be visible by the end user.
> Maybe we could use the Page xproperty type and have a parameter inside
> to select only spaces.

> Adel
>
> --------
> [1] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference
> [2] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.WatchListClass
> [3] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.XWikiUsers

Re: [Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

Adel Atallah
I've created a Jira issue, I would appreciate to have some feedback or
changes if needed: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15582

Thanks,
Adel

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:02 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Working on the auto-suggestion feature [1], I've been integrating it
>> in xproperties holding a reference to a page. Those xproperties are of
>> type String and have been changed to the Page type so that the page
>> displayer is used and shows the auto-suggestion when needed.
>
> Since we talk about new entity properties types and bring back the
> following subject: a pity the type is called "page" since it actually
> contain document reference and collide with the new page reference.
> But hard to change now...
>
> We'll need to introduce a new type which store serialized
> PageReference at some point since that's what most new xobjects should
> use ideally. But it can't be used for existing property which
> currently contain document references since the syntax is different.
>
> The best to avoid confusion with two different "page*" types names
> would probably be to have the PageClass have a type which could be:
> * document (set to existing page properties with a migration)
> * page (the default)
> * space ?
>
> BaseClass#addPageField hasn't been released yet (@since 10.8RC1) so
> it's the right time, later we would have to keep "document" as the
> default in it which would not be very elegant since we want people to
> use page reference in the future as much as possible.
>

>> I now need to implement an auto-suggestion on xproperties holding a
>> reference to a space (e.g [2]), a wiki (e.g [2]) and an attachment
>> (e.g. [3]).
>> I think the best would be to create an Attachment and Wiki xproperty
>> type and create new displayers exactly like the Page type.
>>
>> I don't think we can create a Space xproperty because it's not meant
>> to be visible by the end user.
>> Maybe we could use the Page xproperty type and have a parameter inside
>> to select only spaces.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adel
>>
>> --------
>> [1] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference
>> [2] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.WatchListClass
>> [3] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.XWikiUsers

Re: [Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

Hi Adel,

FTR the issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15582 is missing several piece of info:
* affects version
* component

Regarding the topic, it seems that XWIKI-15582 corresponds to what Thomas has suggested, right?

Sounds good to me.

> On 7 Sep 2018, at 16:45, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've created a Jira issue, I would appreciate to have some feedback or
> changes if needed: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15582
>
> Thanks,
> Adel
>

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:02 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> Working on the auto-suggestion feature [1], I've been integrating it
>>> in xproperties holding a reference to a page. Those xproperties are of
>>> type String and have been changed to the Page type so that the page
>>> displayer is used and shows the auto-suggestion when needed.
>>
>> Since we talk about new entity properties types and bring back the
>> following subject: a pity the type is called "page" since it actually
>> contain document reference and collide with the new page reference.
>> But hard to change now...
>>
>> We'll need to introduce a new type which store serialized
>> PageReference at some point since that's what most new xobjects should
>> use ideally. But it can't be used for existing property which
>> currently contain document references since the syntax is different.
>>
>> The best to avoid confusion with two different "page*" types names
>> would probably be to have the PageClass have a type which could be:
>> * document (set to existing page properties with a migration)
>> * page (the default)
>> * space ?
>>
>> BaseClass#addPageField hasn't been released yet (@since 10.8RC1) so
>> it's the right time, later we would have to keep "document" as the
>> default in it which would not be very elegant since we want people to
>> use page reference in the future as much as possible.
>>

>>> I now need to implement an auto-suggestion on xproperties holding a
>>> reference to a space (e.g [2]), a wiki (e.g [2]) and an attachment
>>> (e.g. [3]).
>>> I think the best would be to create an Attachment and Wiki xproperty
>>> type and create new displayers exactly like the Page type.
>>>
>>> I don't think we can create a Space xproperty because it's not meant
>>> to be visible by the end user.
>>> Maybe we could use the Page xproperty type and have a parameter inside
>>> to select only spaces.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adel
>>>
>>> --------
>>> [1] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference
>>> [2] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.WatchListClass
>>> [3] https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/AutocompleteOnReference#HClass:XWiki.XWikiUsers

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

Adel Atallah
Hello Vincent,

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 3:08 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adel,
>
> FTR the issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15582 is missing several piece of info:
> * affects version
> * component

Thanks, I've updated the issue.

> Regarding the topic, it seems that XWIKI-15582 corresponds to what Thomas has suggested, right?

Yes.

> Sounds good to me.

Adel

> > On 7 Sep 2018, at 16:45, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I've created a Jira issue, I would appreciate to have some feedback or
> > changes if needed: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15582
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adel
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:02 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Since we talk about new entity properties types and bring back the
> >> following subject: a pity the type is called "page" since it actually
> >> contain document reference and collide with the new page reference.
> >> But hard to change now...
> >>
> >> We'll need to introduce a new type which store serialized
> >> PageReference at some point since that's what most new xobjects should
> >> use ideally. But it can't be used for existing property which
> >> currently contain document references since the syntax is different.
> >>
> >> The best to avoid confusion with two different "page*" types names
> >> would probably be to have the PageClass have a type which could be:
> >> * document (set to existing page properties with a migration)
> >> * page (the default)
> >> * space ?
> >>
> >> BaseClass#addPageField hasn't been released yet (@since 10.8RC1) so
> >> it's the right time, later we would have to keep "document" as the
> >> default in it which would not be very elegant since we want people to
> >> use page reference in the future as much as possible.

> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Brainstorming] Auto-suggestion on space, wiki and attachment xproperties

It's just a pity that BaseClass#addPageField was released already
released (making page the default now would mean breaking ab API).