[ Brainstorming] Improving XWiki installation - Increase Active Installs

[ Brainstorming] Improving XWiki installation - Increase Active Installs

I believe one very important action to improve active installs is to improve installation of XWiki.

I’ve started listing ideas at https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/InstallationImprovementIdeas

Let me know what you think.

I think I’d like to propose to work on this aspect after 11.2 is out.

Re: [ Brainstorming] Improving XWiki installation - Increase Active Installs

Note that this is now superseded by the new roadmap proposa for 11.2 and 11.3 for bug fix releases

However it’s still a possibility (and an important one IMO) for 11.4+

> On 30 Jan 2019, at 07:54, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I believe one very important action to improve active installs is to improve installation of XWiki.
>
> I’ve started listing ideas at https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/InstallationImprovementIdeas
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> I think I’d like to propose to work on this aspect after 11.2 is out.

Re: [ Brainstorming] Improving XWiki installation - Increase Active Installs

We did today a Lightning Decision Jam with the topic: "Easier installation
flow". We were 6 people and spent 2 hours.

Our brainstorming process took us more in the website / packages area.
Our main challenge resulted to be: "How might we know what package we need
to install?".
The two solutions that we found and that I plan to explore are:
* Have a recommended package that is promoted
* Provide a comparison between the packages

More details about this at
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow
I'll keep you up to date with progress in this direction.