[Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

[Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

A user has reported the following, mentioning it was taking a lot of steps, and we’ve all experimented that creating wiki links could be easier:

1. Go to page you want to link to (Target Page).
a. Copy URL
2. Go to page where you want to add the link (Source Page)
3. Edit it using Wiki Syntax Editor
4. Create the link
   i.    Write [[
   ii.   write label
   iii.  write >>
   iv.   paste the link pointing to Target Page
   v.    Remove https://w.amazon.com/bin/view  from pasted link
   vi.   Replace manually all encoded URL strings (like + and other symbols)
   vii.  Replace “/” with “.”
   viii. Add WebHome
   ix.   write ]]
5. Save
6. Done.
"

So I’d like to brainstorm about what we could do to make it easier to creating wiki links.

Some ideas:

A) Remove step 4. ix with http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12920

B) The label>> parts (steps ii and iii) can be omitted, especially when the link label generation is configured to use titles

C) The real solution for me is autocomplete on links: http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-206 This should probably be implemented in the autocomplete extension: see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/AutoCompletion+API and http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/AutoCompletion+Application

D) Using CTRL+G helps since it provides the reference and helps in finding the page to link to. It can be considered as a simplified autocomplete, ie a simplified impl for C).

E) Marius mentioned elsewhere: "I would also like to have a common Insert Link dialog between the CKEditor and the Wiki Editor. You click on a button on the tool bar, you get a dialog where you can search for the target page (or select it from the tree) and then click Insert, which will generate the wiki syntax for your. The Insert Link dialog can have a shortcut key for quick access. Of course autocomplete is nicer but it's more work, while the Insert Link dialog is a must for the CKEditor anyway.”

F) Marius mentioned elsewhere: "We can also implement a dedicated "Insert Reference" dialog for the Wiki Editor that offers a text input where you can paste an URL and the dialog attempts to extract the entity reference from the URL and inserts it in the Wiki Editor text area to be used for links but also for macros or anywhere where you might need a document reference. This can be implemented as an XWiki extension.”

G) Add the ability to paste a full URL in the reference part of wiki links and upon save the Rendering will automatically transform it into a document reference if it’s a local link. And if you want a real url for a local link then you’d need to use the “url:” prefix. Implementation: One relatively simple solution is to parse the URL (using a ResourceTypeResolver/ResourceReferenceResolver) and then serialize it and verify if the result matches the passed URL. If it does it means it’s a local URL.

H) Caty mentioned elsewhere: "We could display the reference of a page in:
a. a Permalink dialog (containing the URL + reference) that the user can copy paste in browser input or editor
b. Information tab
c. other?”

IMO the best (possibly not the easiest) are C) and G). With those 2 we would get:
* easy pasting of existing URLs
* easily finding the page you want to link to when you don’t have its URL

Now, even if we agree to do C) and G) in the future I still think that all the other ideas (ie. E, F and H) could also be implemented.

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Ideally I like C and E.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

On 17 Dec 2015 at 15:38:08, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Ideally I like C and E.

Note that E doesn’t solve all use cases… while G does :)

For example how many times I have to edit wiki pages on xwiki.org becauses users have pasted full URLs in wiki links instead of references! the problem with full URLs is that 1) they don’t work with refactoring (renames for ex) and 2) they’re displayed as external links.

> [...]
> > verify if the result matches the passed URL. If it does it means it’s a
> > local URL.
> >
> > H) Caty mentioned elsewhere: "We could display the reference of a page in:
> > a. a Permalink dialog (containing the URL + reference) that the user can
> > copy paste in browser input or editor
> > b. Information tab
> > c. other?”
> >

> > IMO the best (possibly not the easiest) are C) and G). With those 2 we
> > would get:
> > * easy pasting of existing URLs
> > * easily finding the page you want to link to when you don’t have its URL
> >
> > Now, even if we agree to do C) and G) in the future I still think that all
> > the other ideas (ie. E, F and H) could also be implemented.
> >
> > WDYT?

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Guillaume Lerouge
I like G too. Most of the time, when creating a wiki link to a page I have
that page open in another tab.

If its URL could be intercepted and automagically turned into a wiki link,
that would be very nice.

In addition to this, given B (automatically display page title for wiki
links), it could reduce the total number of steps to 3:

1. Go to page you want to link to (Target Page).
a. Copy URL
2. Go to page where you want to add the link (Source Page)
a. Paste URL
3. Save

=> that would be quite cool...

Thanks,

Guillaume

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> in:
> > > a. a Permalink dialog (containing the URL + reference) that the user
> can
> > > copy paste in browser input or editor
> > > b. Information tab
> > > c. other?”
> > >

> > > IMO the best (possibly not the easiest) are C) and G). With those 2 we
> > > would get:
> > > * easy pasting of existing URLs
> > > * easily finding the page you want to link to when you don’t have its
> URL
> > >
> > > Now, even if we agree to do C) and G) in the future I still think that
> all
> > > the other ideas (ie. E, F and H) could also be implemented.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Denis Gervalle-2
G is to me the priority in what you mentioned. When looking at how users of
the wiki syntax create links, I have seen that a lot of them does not
understand, care, or bother to use doc references, probably because they
are not concerned by the impact using a full URL has. So G is also for me a
good way to show them the right practice and to also fix old usage that was
bad.

For the wiki editor, I am not sure a feature like E is what I would like,
but it does not hurt. F would be very helpful and probably my second
priority here, especially if we care about making the operation doable only
using the keyboard (vi like).

C is of course helpful, and a must have if we decide to make the
autocompletion extension bundled.

And as Guillaume, I also had in mind the magical way, which intercept the
URL and transform it to a link. We should however be careful with too much
magic, being smart like this will require also taking care of the context,
to still allow pasting URL when needed (inside a code macro, inside a url:
link, etc…)

Thanks,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I like G too. Most of the time, when creating a wiki link to a page I have
> that page open in another tab.
>
> If its URL could be intercepted and automagically turned into a wiki link,
> that would be very nice.
>
> In addition to this, given B (automatically display page title for wiki
> links), it could reduce the total number of steps to 3:
>
> 1. Go to page you want to link to (Target Page).
> a. Copy URL
> 2. Go to page where you want to add the link (Source Page)
> a. Paste URL
> 3. Save
>
> => that would be quite cool...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On 17 Dec 2015 at 15:38:08, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> > (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Ideally I like C and E.
> >
> > Note that E doesn’t solve all use cases… while G does :)
> >
> > For example how many times I have to edit wiki pages on xwiki.org
> becauses
> > users have pasted full URLs in wiki links instead of references! the
> > problem with full URLs is that 1) they don’t work with refactoring
> (renames
> > for ex) and 2) they’re displayed as external links.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> > easier:

> when

> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/AutoCompletion+API
> > > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/AutoCompletion+Application

> > finding
> > autocomplete, ie

> > Insert
> > button
> > page
> > generate the
> > for
> > while the

> > "Insert
> > you
> > reference
> for

> > links
> > document
> local
> > link
> > relatively
> > and
> it’s a

> page
> > in:
> > can

> we
> > URL

> that
> > all

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

A big problem with G (pasting URLs) is when the wiki is set up with URL
rewriting.

AFAIK, URL rewriting is used heavily on many XWiki installations, either:
- to remove the /bin/view/ part (which would be manageable, if we add some
configuration parameter to know about it) or
- to have prettier URLs for a select group of documents (which complicates
things a lot when trying to reverse the process if XWiki does not know
about the specific mappings)

Finally, we need to also consider that an URL can lead to any mode in XWiki
(not just view), while XWiki's current link syntax only generates links to
"view" mode (and "download" mode in some cases) AFAIK, so these URLs would
not be able to be converted to wiki syntax, unless we extend the syntax.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > for
> document

> wiki
> > > links
> > > document
> > local
> > > link
> > > relatively
> it
> > > and
> > it’s a

> > page
> > > in:
> user
> > > can

> > we
> its
> > > URL

> > that
> > > all

> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A big problem with G (pasting URLs) is when the wiki is set up with URL
> rewriting.
>
> AFAIK, URL rewriting is used heavily on many XWiki installations, either:
> - to remove the /bin/view/ part (which would be manageable, if we add some
> configuration parameter to know about it) or
> - to have prettier URLs for a select group of documents (which complicates
> things a lot when trying to reverse the process if XWiki does not know
> about the specific mappings)
>

> Finally, we need to also consider that an URL can lead to any mode in XWiki
> (not just view), while XWiki's current link syntax only generates links to
> "view" mode (and "download" mode in some cases) AFAIK, so these URLs would
> not be able to be converted to wiki syntax, unless we extend the syntax.

We can use "path:" or "url:" references for modes other than "view":

[[Edit Page>>path:/xwiki/bin/edit/Space/Page]]

> [...]
> in

> common
> on
> > target
> > key

> > where
> used
> > > for
> > document

> > wiki
> > > local
> serialize
> > it
> > > it’s a

> > > page
> > user

> those 2
> > > we
> > its

> > > that

> > Denis Gervalle
> > SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Hi Marius,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > A big problem with G (pasting URLs) is when the wiki is set up with URL
> > rewriting.
> >
> > AFAIK, URL rewriting is used heavily on many XWiki installations, either:
> > - to remove the /bin/view/ part (which would be manageable, if we add
> some
> > configuration parameter to know about it) or
> > - to have prettier URLs for a select group of documents (which
> complicates
> > things a lot when trying to reverse the process if XWiki does not know
> > about the specific mappings)
> >

> > Finally, we need to also consider that an URL can lead to any mode in
> XWiki
> > (not just view), while XWiki's current link syntax only generates links
> > "view" mode (and "download" mode in some cases) AFAIK, so these URLs
> would
> > not be able to be converted to wiki syntax, unless we extend the syntax.
> >

> We can use "path:" or "url:" references for modes other than "view":
>
> [[Edit Page>>path:/xwiki/bin/edit/Space/Page]]

Technically you're correct, but I'm not sure I see the benefit of this. The
point of having links in wiki syntax is that when we're doing things such
as a rename, backlinks can be updated to the new location of the page. If
we were to use the "path" syntax, the renaming of backlinks on page rename
would stop working, which kinda defeats the purpose of using wiki syntax
instead of pure HTML...

Thanks,

Guillaume

Thanks,

> [...]
> > > target
> shortcut
> > > key
> work,

> dedicated
> > > where
> > used
> > > document

> > > wiki
> into
> > serialize
> > > it
> means

> of a
> > > user

> > those 2
> have
> > > its

> think

> > > --
> > > Denis Gervalle
> > > SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Anca Luca
Hello all,

For me the issue is larger than just the wiki links, page references are
required in multiple other places, most notably in the macro parameters in
the macro wizard of the wysiwyg. If creation of links can be workedaround
by using the links dialog of the wysiwyg, filling in wiki parameters can
not be worked around.
Also, the problem becomes even more important with nested spaces being
there, since WebHome is never displayed in the URL but always required when
referring to a page in a wiki macro parameter.
Also, note that not being able to point correctly to a page from the
parameters of a wiki macro will render very interesting wiki macros useless
for some users (e.g. the include/display macros, the documents macro to
display all the children of a document, etc).

What I propose is to implement H quickly, since it seems quite simple, to
compensate for this miss, and then explore one of the other solutions,
which seem more complex. I created an issue for this since for me is more
like a bug, especially when it comes to regular users having to give a
parameter to a wiki macro http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13362 .

Thanks,
Anca

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 2:56 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> ResourceTypeResolver/ResourceReferenceResolver) and then serialize it and
> verify if the result matches the passed URL. If it does it means it’s a
> local URL.
>
> H) Caty mentioned elsewhere: "We could display the reference of a page in:
> a. a Permalink dialog (containing the URL + reference) that the user can
> copy paste in browser input or editor
> b. Information tab
> c. other?”
>

> IMO the best (possibly not the easiest) are C) and G). With those 2 we
> would get:
> * easy pasting of existing URLs
> * easily finding the page you want to link to when you don’t have its URL
>
> Now, even if we agree to do C) and G) in the future I still think that all
> the other ideas (ie. E, F and H) could also be implemented.

Re: [Brainstorming] Improving easiness of creating wiki links

Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar

Oh, missed this thread and the opportunity for a shameless plug:
For G) there was already a first attempt at http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/RepairWikiLinks

I have to admit that this extension did not handle short URL's well (actually not at all), not to mention the other points Eduard brought up ...
And yeah, its is a hack, so with the introduction of nested pages it just fell apart ... but it is actually not so much work to do it.

Clemens

> [...]
>
> H) Caty mentioned elsewhere: "We could display the reference of a page in:
> a. a Permalink dialog (containing the URL + reference) that the user can copy paste in browser input or editor
> b. Information tab
> c. other?”
>

> IMO the best (possibly not the easiest) are C) and G). With those 2 we would get:
> * easy pasting of existing URLs
> * easily finding the page you want to link to when you don’t have its URL
>
> Now, even if we agree to do C) and G) in the future I still think that all the other ideas (ie. E, F and H) could also be implemented.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar

--
Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar
Software Development

HRB 77554 B - Berlin-Charlottenburg
Vorstand: Maya Biersack, Peter Biersack
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. Winfried Weber
Zertifiziert nach ISO 9001:2008