[Brainstorming] Increase QA team visibility

[Brainstorming] Increase QA team visibility

We’ve been having 3 persons in the community who help test XWiki every day and who report jira issues: Ilie, Gabriela and Manuel. Manuel has been doing this over 4 years now (close to 5 actually)!

They’re important and they help XWiki get better every day and release over release.

I think we should recognize them more in the project.

I have 2 ideas:
* Mention this role of QA engineer on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/HallOfFame and make it more “official"
* Make them visible in the RN. Right now in the RN we mention everyone who contributed code. I think we could also mention everyone who created a JIRA issue that got fixed during that release.

WDYT? Any other idea?

PS: I forgot if I already sent a mail on this topic or not (couldn’t find one but it vaguely rings a bell). Anyone remembers? :)

Re: [Brainstorming] Increase QA team visibility

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Yes we discussed these things before in :
[Vote] Showcase contributors in the Release Notes
http://markmail.org/thread/2fb7vjnzegmpsg43
[Proposal] Extend the ack section of the Release Notes
http://markmail.org/thread/pj6jvaepk5sl3pag

The problem was that it's kind of hard to not forget someone. We also have
translators on l10n.

The QA team could add themselves when they test the release (since usually
they test after the release and also they switch the attribution).

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We’ve been having 3 persons in the community who help test XWiki every day
> and who report jira issues: Ilie, Gabriela and Manuel. Manuel has been
> doing this over 4 years now (close to 5 actually)!
>
> They’re important and they help XWiki get better every day and release
> over release.
>
> I think we should recognize them more in the project.
>
> I have 2 ideas:
> * Mention this role of QA engineer on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/
> bin/view/Community/HallOfFame and make it more “official"
> * Make them visible in the RN. Right now in the RN we mention everyone who
> contributed code. I think we could also mention everyone who created a JIRA
> issue that got fixed during that release.
>
> WDYT? Any other idea?

> PS: I forgot if I already sent a mail on this topic or not (couldn’t find
> one but it vaguely rings a bell). Anyone remembers? :)

Re: [Brainstorming] Increase QA team visibility

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Regarding reported issues: kind of hard to not forget anyone. It happens
very often that some issues are reported on the forum and sometimes the
devs are creating the issue, without the ability to attribute it (since the
user does not exist on JIRA).

Also we could close some issues that are years old and would be a bit odd.

On Design, the proposal might be implemented after some time, so these
things don't quite reflect the workload for that particular period of time.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes we discussed these things before in :
> [Vote] Showcase contributors in the Release Notes
> http://markmail.org/thread/2fb7vjnzegmpsg43
> [Proposal] Extend the ack section of the Release Notes
> http://markmail.org/thread/pj6jvaepk5sl3pag
>
> The problem was that it's kind of hard to not forget someone. We also have
> translators on l10n.
>
> The QA team could add themselves when they test the release (since usually
> they test after the release and also they switch the attribution).
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>

>> We’ve been having 3 persons in the community who help test XWiki every
>> day and who report jira issues: Ilie, Gabriela and Manuel. Manuel has been
>> doing this over 4 years now (close to 5 actually)!
>>
>> They’re important and they help XWiki get better every day and release
>> over release.
>>
>> I think we should recognize them more in the project.
>>
>> I have 2 ideas:
>> * Mention this role of QA engineer on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin
>> /view/Community/HallOfFame and make it more “official"
>> * Make them visible in the RN. Right now in the RN we mention everyone
>> who contributed code. I think we could also mention everyone who created a
>> JIRA issue that got fixed during that release.
>>
>> WDYT? Any other idea?

>> PS: I forgot if I already sent a mail on this topic or not (couldn’t find
>> one but it vaguely rings a bell). Anyone remembers? :)

Re: [Brainstorming] Increase QA team visibility

> On 11 Jul 2017, at 15:28, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes we discussed these things before in :
> [Vote] Showcase contributors in the Release Notes
> http://markmail.org/thread/2fb7vjnzegmpsg43
> [Proposal] Extend the ack section of the Release Notes
> http://markmail.org/thread/pj6jvaepk5sl3pag

ah yes that’s it. It was this second thread that I was remembering! :)

Ok so I/we just need to implement it and make it part of the release process.

> The problem was that it's kind of hard to not forget someone. We also have
> translators on l10n.
>
> The QA team could add themselves when they test the release (since usually
> they test after the release and also they switch the attribution).

Yes I thought about this too. Let’s try to automate first and then if it comes short we can use a manual step.

Note that using resolution = fixed, will hide the case when a reporter reports a jira and we close it in another jira, marking the reported issue as “duplicate”.

> Caty
>
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We’ve been having 3 persons in the community who help test XWiki every day
>> and who report jira issues: Ilie, Gabriela and Manuel. Manuel has been
>> doing this over 4 years now (close to 5 actually)!
>>
>> They’re important and they help XWiki get better every day and release
>> over release.
>>
>> I think we should recognize them more in the project.
>>
>> I have 2 ideas:
>> * Mention this role of QA engineer on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/
>> bin/view/Community/HallOfFame and make it more “official"
>> * Make them visible in the RN. Right now in the RN we mention everyone who
>> contributed code. I think we could also mention everyone who created a JIRA
>> issue that got fixed during that release.
>>
>> WDYT? Any other idea?

>> PS: I forgot if I already sent a mail on this topic or not (couldn’t find
>> one but it vaguely rings a bell). Anyone remembers? :)

Re: [Brainstorming] Increase QA team visibility

> On 11 Jul 2017, at 15:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Regarding reported issues: kind of hard to not forget anyone. It happens
> very often that some issues are reported on the forum and sometimes the
> devs are creating the issue, without the ability to attribute it (since the
> user does not exist on JIRA).

The idea is not to be 100% perfect but to do a best effort and have it automated as much as possible.

If some dev report it in IRC but not in JIRA then it becomes an issue reported by whoever created the jira. It’s logical and fine with me. It’s some extra effort to create the jira :)