[Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

[Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

We’ve moved the register/login buttons inside the drawer. However one consequence is that users don’t notice it anymore.

I’d like this thread to be a brainstorming about what we could do about it and whether you agree it’s an issue that we need to fix.

Ideas?

One idea could to reuse the Avatar image location to have some icon to register/login when not logged in.

Re: [Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

in a use case like xwiki.org is really not great that users don't see
anymore that they can register.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We’ve moved the register/login buttons inside the drawer. However one consequence is that users don’t notice it anymore.
>
> I’d like this thread to be a brainstorming about what we could do about it and whether you agree it’s an issue that we need to fix.
>
> Ideas?
>
> One idea could to reuse the Avatar image location to have some icon to register/login when not logged in.

Re: [Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
The problem comes from the multiple Flavors.
For example on Intranets, the content cannot be read by Anonymous, so the
first think you need to do and see is the login page.

What you are describing is problems with websites that have public
documentation and where people log in, only when wanting to contribute.

Having the Log-in visible or under an user menu, are both patterns that are
recommended and we tried both.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> in a use case like xwiki.org is really not great that users don't see
> anymore that they can register.
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We’ve moved the register/login buttons inside the drawer. However one
> consequence is that users don’t notice it anymore.
> >
> > I’d like this thread to be a brainstorming about what we could do about
> it and whether you agree it’s an issue that we need to fix.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > One idea could to reuse the Avatar image location to have some icon to
> register/login when not logged in.
> >
> > WDYT?

Re: [Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

Hi Caty/All,

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 13:00, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The problem comes from the multiple Flavors.
> For example on Intranets, the content cannot be read by Anonymous, so the
> first think you need to do and see is the login page.
>
> What you are describing is problems with websites that have public
> documentation and where people log in, only when wanting to contribute.
>
> Having the Log-in visible or under an user menu, are both patterns that are
> recommended and we tried both.

Indeed there are several use cases:

1) Public web sites that are read only (except for admins or a group of people maintaining it for example)
2) Collaborative public web sites (want to promote registration/logging in) (e.g. xwiki.org)
3) Intranets (also want to promote logging)

The standard flavor is neutral and the simplest is probably to have either an Admin UI option to configure the location (technically it could be a UIX parameter that specifies where the login and/or register options are located - Or we could keep it as 2 UIX with an option to disable it).

Now since XWiki by default is a wiki and thus about promoting collaboration, I’d make the icon visible by default and let admins of use case 1) the need to configure it in the Admin.

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> in a use case like xwiki.org is really not great that users don't see
>> anymore that they can register.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> We’ve moved the register/login buttons inside the drawer. However one
>> consequence is that users don’t notice it anymore.
>>>
>>> I’d like this thread to be a brainstorming about what we could do about
>> it and whether you agree it’s an issue that we need to fix.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> One idea could to reuse the Avatar image location to have some icon to
>> register/login when not logged in.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

Sure public website is an valid use case but it's way too far from
being the main XWiki use case to justify using it as reference for UIX
decisions IMO.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty/All,
>
>> On 6 Jul 2017, at 13:00, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The problem comes from the multiple Flavors.
>> For example on Intranets, the content cannot be read by Anonymous, so the
>> first think you need to do and see is the login page.
>>
>> What you are describing is problems with websites that have public
>> documentation and where people log in, only when wanting to contribute.
>>
>> Having the Log-in visible or under an user menu, are both patterns that are
>> recommended and we tried both.
>
> Indeed there are several use cases:
>
> 1) Public web sites that are read only (except for admins or a group of people maintaining it for example)
> 2) Collaborative public web sites (want to promote registration/logging in) (e.g. xwiki.org)
> 3) Intranets (also want to promote logging)
>
> The standard flavor is neutral and the simplest is probably to have either an Admin UI option to configure the location (technically it could be a UIX parameter that specifies where the login and/or register options are located - Or we could keep it as 2 UIX with an option to disable it).
>
> Now since XWiki by default is a wiki and thus about promoting collaboration, I’d make the icon visible by default and let admins of use case 1) the need to configure it in the Admin.

>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> in a use case like xwiki.org is really not great that users don't see
>>> anymore that they can register.

>>> consequence is that users don’t notice it anymore.

>>> it and whether you agree it’s an issue that we need to fix.

>>> register/login when not logged in.

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure public website is an valid use case but it's way too far from
> being the main XWiki use case to justify using it as reference for UIX
> decisions IMO.

s/public website/public readonly website/

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Caty/All,
>>
>>> On 6 Jul 2017, at 13:00, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem comes from the multiple Flavors.
>>> For example on Intranets, the content cannot be read by Anonymous, so the
>>> first think you need to do and see is the login page.
>>>
>>> What you are describing is problems with websites that have public
>>> documentation and where people log in, only when wanting to contribute.
>>>
>>> Having the Log-in visible or under an user menu, are both patterns that are
>>> recommended and we tried both.
>>
>> Indeed there are several use cases:
>>
>> 1) Public web sites that are read only (except for admins or a group of people maintaining it for example)
>> 2) Collaborative public web sites (want to promote registration/logging in) (e.g. xwiki.org)
>> 3) Intranets (also want to promote logging)
>>
>> The standard flavor is neutral and the simplest is probably to have either an Admin UI option to configure the location (technically it could be a UIX parameter that specifies where the login and/or register options are located - Or we could keep it as 2 UIX with an option to disable it).
>>
>> Now since XWiki by default is a wiki and thus about promoting collaboration, I’d make the icon visible by default and let admins of use case 1) the need to configure it in the Admin.
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: [Brainstorming] Location of login/Register buttons

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

So the main idea would be to show the user avatar even for guest users? We
are currently only showing it for logged-in users.
For the guest we could have a specific avatar (like the noavatar.png but
redesigned with some question mark inside it) to differentiate it from a
logged-in user that has no avatar set (like a new user).

Additionally, we`d have to consider what happens when you click on it.

Option1:
It could activate the drawer and show the login/register (for guest) and
profile and logout (for logged-in users) links.

Option2:
Take the user to the login screen. Additionally, the login screen should
have a link to registration -- this is something that does not make sense
to be separated (as it is now).

Option3:
Move the user related controls (currently located under/inside the drawer)
to a drop-down under the user avatar of the top menu.

Option 3 is more suited and intuitive/expected for desktop browsers but
options 1/2 are more mobile friendly (where the user is usually hidden in
the drawer, as Caty points out in an offline discussion).

Option 2 would be in the middle and probably the simplest to implement,
based on what we have now. I think I prefer it as well.

Eduard