[Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.

The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content (ie Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu app.

I have the following proposal: Separate the apps

* Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use the Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
* Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
* Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting scripting, could be a text area).
** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title. This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some conditions are met.
** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new admins to create panels.
* Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112 since we already have a Panel Wizard!
* If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for panels.

WDYT?

Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

Antoine MOREL
Hi Vincent,

In my opinion, this is the best solution to avoid any confusions.

Regards

Antoine

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy
> thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.
>
> The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content (ie
> Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu
> app.
>
> I have the following proposal: Separate the apps
>
> * Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use the
> Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
> * Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
> * Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
> ** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting
> scripting, could be a text area).
> ** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title.
> This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some
> conditions are met.
> ** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new
> admins to create panels.
> * Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112
> since we already have a Panel Wizard!
> * If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for
> panels.
>
> WDYT?
>

> Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?

How do you create vertical menus?

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 11:03, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy
>> thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.
>>
>> The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content (ie
>> Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu
>> app.
>>
>> I have the following proposal: Separate the apps
>>
>> * Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use the
>> Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
>> * Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
>> * Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
>> ** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting
>> scripting, could be a text area).
>> ** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title.
>> This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some
>> conditions are met.
>> ** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new
>> admins to create panels.
>> * Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112
>> since we already have a Panel Wizard!
>> * If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for
>> panels.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

>> Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?
>>

> How do you create vertical menus?

Could you explain what vertical menus are (I’m not sure I understand)?

If they are panels then the Panel app would be used for creating them.

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 14 Feb 2018, at 11:03, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy
> >> thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.
> >>
> >> The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content
> (ie
> >> Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu
> >> app.
> >>
> >> I have the following proposal: Separate the apps
> >>
> >> * Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use
> the
> >> Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
> >> * Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
> >> * Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
> >> ** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting
> >> scripting, could be a text area).
> >> ** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title.
> >> This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some
> >> conditions are met.
> >> ** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new
> >> admins to create panels.
> >> * Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112
> >> since we already have a Panel Wizard!
> >> * If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for
> >> panels.
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>

> >> Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?
> >>

> > How do you create vertical menus?
>
> Could you explain what vertical menus are (I’m not sure I understand)?
>

> If they are panels then the Panel app would be used for creating them.

How? Can you list the steps an user would take to create such a panel?