[Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.

The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content (ie Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu app.

I have the following proposal: Separate the apps

* Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use the Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
* Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
* Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting scripting, could be a text area).
** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title. This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some conditions are met.
** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new admins to create panels.
* Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112 since we already have a Panel Wizard!
* If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for panels.

WDYT?

Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

Antoine MOREL
Hi Vincent,

In my opinion, this is the best solution to avoid any confusions.

Regards

Antoine

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy
> thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.
>
> The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content (ie
> Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu
> app.
>
> I have the following proposal: Separate the apps
>
> * Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use the
> Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
> * Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
> * Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
> ** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting
> scripting, could be a text area).
> ** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title.
> This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some
> conditions are met.
> ** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new
> admins to create panels.
> * Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112
> since we already have a Panel Wizard!
> * If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for
> panels.
>
> WDYT?
>

> Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?

How do you create vertical menus?

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 11:03, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy
>> thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.
>>
>> The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content (ie
>> Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu
>> app.
>>
>> I have the following proposal: Separate the apps
>>
>> * Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use the
>> Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
>> * Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
>> * Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
>> ** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting
>> scripting, could be a text area).
>> ** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title.
>> This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some
>> conditions are met.
>> ** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new
>> admins to create panels.
>> * Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112
>> since we already have a Panel Wizard!
>> * If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for
>> panels.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

>> Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?
>>

> How do you create vertical menus?

Could you explain what vertical menus are (I’m not sure I understand)?

If they are panels then the Panel app would be used for creating them.

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 14 Feb 2018, at 11:03, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> I’m following up from the http://markmail.org/message/zegx62ogtq5evbsy
> >> thread and creating a new one since this is a side topic.
> >>
> >> The idea is that right now when the user needs to create side content
> (ie
> >> Panels), it’s confusing since they can use either the Panels app or Menu
> >> app.
> >>
> >> I have the following proposal: Separate the apps
> >>
> >> * Keep the 2 concepts of Panels and Menus and make them separate: Use
> the
> >> Menu app for creating menus and the Panel app for creating panels
> >> * Remove the ability to create panels from the Menu app
> >> * Improve the Panel app to make it simpler to create panels
> >> ** Introduce a new xproperty for the panel title (and supporting
> >> scripting, could be a text area).
> >> ** If the panel xproperty content is empty then don’t display the title.
> >> This is to no loose the ability to have panels displayed only if some
> >> conditions are met.
> >> ** Display panel content textarea in WYSIWYG to make it simple for new
> >> admins to create panels.
> >> * Note that this solves issue https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10112
> >> since we already have a Panel Wizard!
> >> * If we want, we can also easily introduce the concept of visibility for
> >> panels.
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>

> >> Do you see any use case that wouldn’t be covered?
> >>

> > How do you create vertical menus?
>
> Could you explain what vertical menus are (I’m not sure I understand)?
>

> If they are panels then the Panel app would be used for creating them.

How? Can you list the steps an user would take to create such a panel?

> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Brainstorming] Menus vs Panels

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > > On 14 Feb 2018, at 11:03, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> zegx62ogtq5evbsy

> > (ie
> Menu

> > the
> title.
> XWIKI-10112
> for

> > > How do you create vertical menus?
> >
> > Could you explain what vertical menus are (I’m not sure I understand)?

Marius refers to the vertical lists Menu applications are inserting in the
panels, see
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Menu%20Application/menuPanel.png

Now, I agree that creating such a structure from the Panels is harder in
the current implementation. What Menu application is doing is trying to add
some magic and uses list to help the user easily create the structure, then
applying JS and CSS to display them nicely.

The problem is that I agree the difference between Menus and Panels is
confusing to end users.

Ideally:
- Menus should handle the Custom menus that can be added "After Header" or
in any of the Menu extension points (Top menu left, right, etc.) + XWiki
content menus (edit menus, drawer, etc.)
- Panels should handle everything that goes in the Left or Right parts of
the UI. That would include also the AppBar. That would include also the
Vertical Menus. Ideally I would move the code that creates vertical menus
from Menu app to Panels, for the Navigation category. So when an user would
select for example the Navigation category, it would need just to add his
lists and select that panel type and we would do all the magic for Panels,
instead of Menus.