[Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

[Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support but I couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.

I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop computers.

Note that it's important to know this for the following reasons:
* When we do our tests we should do them with various resolutions but especially with the minimum supported resolution
* This is true for our automated tests (we run a vnc server in a given resolution on the jenkins agents) but also for the manual tests done by Sorin/Silvia/Manuel and everyone else

WDYT?

Once we agree I'll post the result on xwiki.org

Re: [Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

Roman Muntyanu
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp

http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201111-201211

On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp
>
> http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201111-201211

Thanks!

According to these it seems like 1280x800 could be our minimal resolution for now.

BTW what's the resolution on tablets?

> We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support but I couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.
>
> I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop computers.
>
> Note that it's important to know this for the following reasons:
> * When we do our tests we should do them with various resolutions but especially with the minimum supported resolution
> * This is true for our automated tests (we run a vnc server in a given resolution on the jenkins agents) but also for the manual tests done by Sorin/Silvia/Manuel and everyone else
>
> WDYT?
>
> Once we agree I'll post the result on xwiki.org

Re: [Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

Arvind Gupta
+1 for non automated tests

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp
> >
> > http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201111-201211
>
> Thanks!
>
> According to these it seems like 1280x800 could be our minimal resolution
> for now.
>
> BTW what's the resolution on tablets?

> PS: We're not talking about phones here which is different and requires a
> different layout

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Vincent,

for tablets, the most common resolution I'm aware of is 1024x768.

However, the mobile browsers used on tablets might be able to handle apps
built for somewhat larger resolutions by adapting automatically (the same
way mobile safari adapts when on an iPhone).

We'd need to test an interface optimized for a larger-than-1024 resolution
on a table screen to decide whether we need to improve it further.

Guillaume

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Arvind Gupta <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1 for non automated tests
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp
> > >
> > > http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201111-201211
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > According to these it seems like 1280x800 could be our minimal resolution
> > for now.
> >
> > BTW what's the resolution on tablets?

> > PS: We're not talking about phones here which is different and requires a
> > different layout

Looks like 1024x768
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10031266/mobile-and-desktop-screen-size-statistics

But there are lots of 1280x800
http://www.tabletpccomparison.net/

And just an article you may find interesting
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/12/size-really-does-matter-common-tablet-resolutions-compared/

for tablets, the most common resolution I'm aware of is 1024x768.

However, the mobile browsers used on tablets might be able to handle apps built for somewhat larger resolutions by adapting automatically (the same way mobile safari adapts when on an iPhone).

We'd need to test an interface optimized for a larger-than-1024 resolution on a table screen to decide whether we need to improve it further.

Guillaume

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Arvind Gupta <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1 for non automated tests
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Roman Muntyanu
> > <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp
> > >
> > > http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201111-201211
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > According to these it seems like 1280x800 could be our minimal
> > resolution for now.
> >
> > BTW what's the resolution on tablets?

> > PS: We're not talking about phones here which is different and
> > requires a different layout

sorinello
Hello Vincent,

I understand the utility of this for Automated Testing, but for Manual
Testing it will be a bit harder because nobody will want to "downgrade"
their resolution in order to test on the Minimum resolution. I think
imposing such a rule will discourage users to test XWiki. By testing I mean
following the Manual Test steps we have.

Regards,
Sorin B.

You don't need too. Just install a resizer. On chrome I'm using https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/window-resizer/kkelicaakdanhinjdeammmilcgefonfh

> I think
> imposing such a rule will discourage users to test XWiki.

I don't follow you here. What's the relationship between the resolution that the xwiki dev team supports and users testing XWiki? They can test on whatever resolution they want...

> By testing I mean
> following the Manual Test steps we have.

This plan needs to mention on what resolutions (plural) it was tested, in addition to mentioning browsers and databases on which it was executed. You don't need to test on all resolutions obviously but the plan needs to have various tests on different DBs, OSes, Browsers, Resolutions. You should propose something.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Sorin Burjan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Vincent,
> >
> > I understand the utility of this for Automated Testing, but for Manual
> > Testing it will be a bit harder because nobody will want to "downgrade"
> > their resolution in order to test on the Minimum resolution.
>
> You don't need too. Just install a resizer. On chrome I'm using
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/window-resizer/kkelicaakdanhinjdeammmilcgefonfh
>
> > I think
> > imposing such a rule will discourage users to test XWiki.
>
> I don't follow you here. What's the relationship between the resolution
> that the xwiki dev team supports and users testing XWiki? They can test on
> whatever resolution they want...
>
> > By testing I mean
> > following the Manual Test steps we have.
>
> This plan needs to mention on what resolutions (plural) it was tested, in
> addition to mentioning browsers and databases on which it was executed. You
> don't need to test on all resolutions obviously but the plan needs to have
> various tests on different DBs, OSes, Browsers, Resolutions. You should
> propose something.

This could be integrated on the future QA Application (the resolution
thing). About testing on multiple browsers, OS's, DBs the only solution I
have is to make different combinations in order to create various
permutations.

Regards,
Sorin B.

> > Regards,
> > Sorin B.
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support
> but I
> >> couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.
> >>
> >> I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop
> >> computers.
> >>
> >> Note that it's important to know this for the following reasons:
> >> * When we do our tests we should do them with various resolutions but
> >> especially with the minimum supported resolution
> >> * This is true for our automated tests (we run a vnc server in a given
> >> resolution on the jenkins agents) but also for the manual tests done by
> >> Sorin/Silvia/Manuel and everyone else
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >> Once we agree I'll post the result on xwiki.org
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

Right now we support 980px for the width, if we go for a smaller resolution
we get horizontal scrolls. And this is Colibri case.

I think the supported resolution should be skin-based.

For example in our future skin we will want to be responsive, meaning the
skin will need to adjust to mobile/tablet resolutions. This means lowering
the minimum.

For example Bootstrap (
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/scaffolding.html#responsive) considers:
Phones: 480px and below
Tablets: 768px and above
Default: 980px and up
Large Display: 1200px and up

The minimal-minimal standard resolution we should say we support is 1024 x
768px (at least for Colibri and for older versions of XWiki >= 2.0 ).

The next step would be 1280 x 1024px.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support but I
> couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.
>
> I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop
> computers.
>
> Note that it's important to know this for the following reasons:
> * When we do our tests we should do them with various resolutions but
> especially with the minimum supported resolution
> * This is true for our automated tests (we run a vnc server in a given
> resolution on the jenkins agents) but also for the manual tests done by
> Sorin/Silvia/Manuel and everyone else
>
> WDYT?
>
> Once we agree I'll post the result on xwiki.org

Re: [Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

Jérôme Velociter
On 12/04/2012 07:06 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right now we support 980px for the width, if we go for a smaller resolution
> we get horizontal scrolls. And this is Colibri case.
>
> I think the supported resolution should be skin-based.

+1

> For example in our future skin we will want to be responsive, meaning the
> skin will need to adjust to mobile/tablet resolutions. This means lowering
> the minimum.
>
> For example Bootstrap (
> http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/scaffolding.html#responsive) considers:
> Phones: 480px and below
> Tablets: 768px and above
> Default: 980px and up
> Large Display: 1200px and up
>

> The minimal-minimal standard resolution we should say we support is 1024 x
> 768px (at least for Colibri and for older versions of XWiki >= 2.0 ).

+1

Jerome

On 12/04/2012 05:18 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support but I couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.
>
> I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop computers.

+0, I prefer 1024x768 (reduced to 980 to let some space for sidebars).
980 is one of the widths used by several skin frameworks.

> Note that it's important to know this for the following reasons:
> * When we do our tests we should do them with various resolutions but especially with the minimum supported resolution
> * This is true for our automated tests (we run a vnc server in a given resolution on the jenkins agents) but also for the manual tests done by Sorin/Silvia/Manuel and everyone else
>
> WDYT?
>
> Once we agree I'll post the result on xwiki.org

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 05:18 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support but I couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.
>>
>> I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop computers.
>

> +0, I prefer 1024x768 (reduced to 980 to let some space for sidebars).
> 980 is one of the widths used by several skin frameworks.

Is this what we currently support or what we wish to support? because
there are parts of XWiki UI that don't look good on 1024px width. I
just recently fix a problem in the user profile
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/commit/78d7644b1b2560379a9f24d661eb3816a6a8f3a7
.

>> Note that it's important to know this for the following reasons:
>> * When we do our tests we should do them with various resolutions but especially with the minimum supported resolution
>> * This is true for our automated tests (we run a vnc server in a given resolution on the jenkins agents) but also for the manual tests done by Sorin/Silvia/Manuel and everyone else
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Once we agree I'll post the result on xwiki.org

> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [Brainstorming] Minimal supported resolution?

Sergiu Dumitriu-3
On 12/05/2012 07:35 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 12/04/2012 05:18 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> We've agreed on the list of databases and browser we want to support but I couldn't find an agreement on the screen resolutions we want to support.
>>>
>>> I had in mind the 1280x1024 as the minimal resolution for laptop/desktop computers.
>>

>> +0, I prefer 1024x768 (reduced to 980 to let some space for sidebars).
>> 980 is one of the widths used by several skin frameworks.

Sorry, 960 is actually used by frameworks.

> Is this what we currently support or what we wish to support? because
> there are parts of XWiki UI that don't look good on 1024px width. I
> just recently fix a problem in the user profile
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/commit/78d7644b1b2560379a9f24d661eb3816a6a8f3a7
> .

I think that it should be the one to support, and although we didn't
have a written rule for it, I was under the impression that it is what
we're supporting.