[Brainstorming] Removing Watchlist & Activity Stream from XS?

[Brainstorming] Removing Watchlist & Activity Stream from XS?

Now that Notifications is providing an equivalent feature (and supposedly much faster, we still need some measurements on that!), we need to think about decommissioning the AS and Watchlist features.

Decommissioning means moving them to xwiki-attic IMO.

So the questions:

* Are there any features still missing to replace the AS? For example the AS had the ability to display a RSS feed and other parameters, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity%20Macro#HParametersdefinition. Are all of these having equivalents or other ways of doing them?

* Personal note and especially for Caty: I don’t like too much the big icons that we have ATM. For example http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#HSeetheNetworkActivity. I don’t think the replacement of the main AS with the notifications macro will look very nice with these icons. I already stated that I thought the user-focused view was much nicer visually but I was one of the few to think so from what I remember ;) Still even if we keep the icons, I think there’s some work to make the UI more appealling visually. WDYT?

* When can we replace AS with notifications macro? I’d suggest to do that for 10.6-RC1. WDYT? AFAIK there are 2 places: user profiles + Dashboard home page.

* Once the previous item is done, can we remove AS + watchlist from XS easily now? What does it entail, just moving xwiki-platform-watchlist and xwiki-platform-activitystream. Actually I think we need to first move the message stream sending UI to another place. I’d propose inside the alert menu as a UIX when message stream is enabled (that would be fast and simple to do and we could tune the location later, it doesn’t matter much since it’s off by default anyway). Could we do this in XWiki 10.6RC1?

* Anything else I’ve forgotten?

So the plan seems to be, in this order:
1) Replace AS with notifications macro.
2) Move Message Stream sending UI outside of AS
3) Move xwiki-platform-watchlist and xwiki-platform-activitystream to xwiki-attic and update their docs on e.x.o to explain how to put them back if needed

Re: [Brainstorming] Removing Watchlist & Activity Stream from XS?

Guillaume Delhumeau
Hi Vincent

> Now that Notifications is providing an equivalent feature (and supposedly
> much faster, we still need some measurements on that!), we need to think
> about decommissioning the AS and Watchlist features.
>
> Decommissioning means moving them to xwiki-attic IMO.
>
> So the questions:
>
> * Are there any features still missing to replace the AS? For example the
> AS had the ability to display a RSS feed and other parameters, see
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity%20Macro#
> HParametersdefinition. Are all of these having equivalents or other ways
> of doing them?

* We have an RSS view, but it's not available from the macro. So it need to
be added if we want to keep it.
* We don't have a "tag" filter. Need to be added.

> * Personal note and especially for Caty: I don’t like too much the big
> icons that we have ATM. For example http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#
> HSeetheNetworkActivity. I don’t think the replacement of the main AS with
> the notifications macro will look very nice with these icons. I already
> stated that I thought the user-focused view was much nicer visually but I
> was one of the few to think so from what I remember ;) Still even if we
> keep the icons, I think there’s some work to make the UI more appealling
> visually. WDYT?
>
> * When can we replace AS with notifications macro? I’d suggest to do that
> for 10.6-RC1. WDYT? AFAIK there are 2 places: user profiles + Dashboard
> home page.

If we don't care about the 2 remaining items I've mentioned above, we could
do it for 10.6RC1.

> * Once the previous item is done, can we remove AS + watchlist from XS
> easily now? What does it entail, just moving xwiki-platform-watchlist and
> xwiki-platform-activitystream. Actually I think we need to first move the
> message stream sending UI to another place. I’d propose inside the alert
> menu as a UIX when message stream is enabled (that would be fast and simple
> to do and we could tune the location later, it doesn’t matter much since
> it’s off by default anyway). Could we do this in XWiki 10.6RC1?

We can only get rid of Activity Stream's UI. Because the storage is still
implemented by Activity Stream's API (as the unique implementation of
xwiki-platform-eventstream).

> * Anything else I’ve forgotten?
>
> So the plan seems to be, in this order:
> 1) Replace AS with notifications macro.
> 2) Move Message Stream sending UI outside of AS

I'm not sure I understand. The Message Sender Macro is defined in
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-messagestream/xwiki-platform-messagestream-ui/src/main/resources/Main/MessageSenderMacro.xml
so I don't think we need to move something out of AS.

> 3) Move xwiki-platform-watchlist and xwiki-platform-activitystream to
> xwiki-attic and update their docs on e.x.o to explain how to put them back
> if needed

IMO we should wait for the next cycle to move the modules out.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Brainstorming] Removing Watchlist & Activity Stream from XS?

Hi Guillaume,

> On 11 Jun 2018, at 10:56, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent

>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Now that Notifications is providing an equivalent feature (and supposedly
>> much faster, we still need some measurements on that!), we need to think
>> about decommissioning the AS and Watchlist features.
>>
>> Decommissioning means moving them to xwiki-attic IMO.
>>
>> So the questions:
>>
>> * Are there any features still missing to replace the AS? For example the
>> AS had the ability to display a RSS feed and other parameters, see
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity%20Macro#
>> HParametersdefinition. Are all of these having equivalents or other ways
>> of doing them?
>>

> * We have an RSS view, but it's not available from the macro. So it need to
> be added if we want to keep it.

I don’t think it’s that useful to have the RSS feed have a UI in the macro. However, I think it’s useful to be able to have a RSS feed for a specific configuration of the notifications (essentially this is what the macro does: configures the notifications to work in a given way). AFAIU the only RSS feed we have ATM is a fixed feed for the default notifications in your user profile. So something more generic would be nice. I guess that would mean a script service to return a RSS feed URL for some parameters passed (the same params as those on the macro) + a generic RSS feed wiki page that accepts parameters. WDYT?

Do we have a jira issue for this?

> * We don't have a "tag" filter. Need to be added.

Ok. Do we have a jira issue for it?

>> * Personal note and especially for Caty: I don’t like too much the big
>> icons that we have ATM. For example http://extensions.xwiki.org/
>> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#
>> HSeetheNetworkActivity. I don’t think the replacement of the main AS with
>> the notifications macro will look very nice with these icons. I already
>> stated that I thought the user-focused view was much nicer visually but I
>> was one of the few to think so from what I remember ;) Still even if we
>> keep the icons, I think there’s some work to make the UI more appealling
>> visually. WDYT?
>>
>> * When can we replace AS with notifications macro? I’d suggest to do that
>> for 10.6-RC1. WDYT? AFAIK there are 2 places: user profiles + Dashboard
>> home page.
>>

> If we don't care about the 2 remaining items I've mentioned above, we could
> do it for 10.6RC1.
>

>> * Once the previous item is done, can we remove AS + watchlist from XS
>> easily now? What does it entail, just moving xwiki-platform-watchlist and
>> xwiki-platform-activitystream. Actually I think we need to first move the
>> message stream sending UI to another place. I’d propose inside the alert
>> menu as a UIX when message stream is enabled (that would be fast and simple
>> to do and we could tune the location later, it doesn’t matter much since
>> it’s off by default anyway). Could we do this in XWiki 10.6RC1?
>>

> We can only get rid of Activity Stream's UI. Because the storage is still
> implemented by Activity Stream's API (as the unique implementation of
> xwiki-platform-eventstream).

So another item in the todo list then:
* Move the implementation to xwiki-platform-eventstream

Do we have a jira for this?

>> * Anything else I’ve forgotten?
>>
>> So the plan seems to be, in this order:
>> 1) Replace AS with notifications macro.
>> 2) Move Message Stream sending UI outside of AS
>>

> I'm not sure I understand. The Message Sender Macro is defined in
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-messagestream/xwiki-platform-messagestream-ui/src/main/resources/Main/MessageSenderMacro.xml
> so I don't think we need to move something out of AS.

Ok my bad then, I thought the UI part was implemented inside the AS UI. I think this was refactored a long time ago (it was in the AS UI initially) and I forgot about it.

>> 3) Move xwiki-platform-watchlist and xwiki-platform-activitystream to
>> xwiki-attic and update their docs on e.x.o to explain how to put them back
>> if needed
>>

> IMO we should wait for the next cycle to move the modules out.

I don’t think we need to wait if they can be installed easily, but sure. Note that moving out or not bundling by default is the same thing for me since it’ll be the same for users.

Anyway first, there are a few issues we need to implement and fix.

At this stage I’d like to make sure we have all the jira issues created and to agree on them and have a plan for fixing them.

[snip]

Re: [Brainstorming] Removing Watchlist & Activity Stream from XS?

Guillaume Delhumeau

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> > On 11 Jun 2018, at 10:56, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent

> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> Now that Notifications is providing an equivalent feature (and
> supposedly
> >> much faster, we still need some measurements on that!), we need to think
> >> about decommissioning the AS and Watchlist features.
> >>
> >> Decommissioning means moving them to xwiki-attic IMO.
> >>
> >> So the questions:
> >>
> >> * Are there any features still missing to replace the AS? For example
> the
> >> AS had the ability to display a RSS feed and other parameters, see
> >> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity%20Macro#
> >> HParametersdefinition. Are all of these having equivalents or other ways
> >> of doing them?
> >>

> > * We have an RSS view, but it's not available from the macro. So it need
> > be added if we want to keep it.
>
> I don’t think it’s that useful to have the RSS feed have a UI in the
> macro. However, I think it’s useful to be able to have a RSS feed for a
> specific configuration of the notifications (essentially this is what the
> macro does: configures the notifications to work in a given way). AFAIU the
> only RSS feed we have ATM is a fixed feed for the default notifications in
> your user profile. So something more generic would be nice. I guess that
> would mean a script service to return a RSS feed URL for some parameters
> passed (the same params as those on the macro) + a generic RSS feed wiki
> page that accepts parameters. WDYT?

It's indeed what we need, but note that the URL could generated by the
Notifications Macro itself (no need to create a script service, except if
we plan to use the URL in other modules).

Created: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15344

> > * We don't have a "tag" filter. Need to be added.
>
> Ok. Do we have a jira issue for it?

Created: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15343

This is a use-case that is needed only for AS, because I don't think it
make sense, inside the notifications system, to filter upon a tag.

> >> * Personal note and especially for Caty: I don’t like too much the big
> >> icons that we have ATM. For example http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> >> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#
> >> HSeetheNetworkActivity. I don’t think the replacement of the main AS
> with
> >> the notifications macro will look very nice with these icons. I already
> >> stated that I thought the user-focused view was much nicer visually but
> >> was one of the few to think so from what I remember ;) Still even if we
> >> keep the icons, I think there’s some work to make the UI more appealling
> >> visually. WDYT?
> >>
> >> * When can we replace AS with notifications macro? I’d suggest to do
> that
> >> for 10.6-RC1. WDYT? AFAIK there are 2 places: user profiles + Dashboard
> >> home page.
> >>

> > If we don't care about the 2 remaining items I've mentioned above, we
> could
> > do it for 10.6RC1.
> >

> >> * Once the previous item is done, can we remove AS + watchlist from XS
> >> easily now? What does it entail, just moving xwiki-platform-watchlist
> and
> >> xwiki-platform-activitystream. Actually I think we need to first move
> the
> >> message stream sending UI to another place. I’d propose inside the alert
> >> menu as a UIX when message stream is enabled (that would be fast and
> simple
> >> to do and we could tune the location later, it doesn’t matter much since
> >> it’s off by default anyway). Could we do this in XWiki 10.6RC1?
> >>

> > We can only get rid of Activity Stream's UI. Because the storage is still
> > implemented by Activity Stream's API (as the unique implementation of
> > xwiki-platform-eventstream).
>
> So another item in the todo list then:
> * Move the implementation to xwiki-platform-eventstream
>
> Do we have a jira for this?

It's more a new implementation that is needed, since the current one use
"activitystream" in the table names. We might take the occasion to think
about a new storage.

For now, I consider it's safer to stick to the ActivityStream
implementation (which is not visible from the UI) since it allows us to use
both AS and Notifications with the same storage. The transition is easier
this way.

> >> * Anything else I’ve forgotten?
> >>
> >> So the plan seems to be, in this order:
> >> 1) Replace AS with notifications macro.
> >> 2) Move Message Stream sending UI outside of AS
> >>

> > I'm not sure I understand. The Message Sender Macro is defined in
> > https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/
> xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-messagestream/xwiki-
> platform-messagestream-ui/src/main/resources/Main/MessageSenderMacro.xml
> > so I don't think we need to move something out of AS.
>
> Ok my bad then, I thought the UI part was implemented inside the AS UI. I
> think this was refactored a long time ago (it was in the AS UI initially)
> and I forgot about it.
>

> >> 3) Move xwiki-platform-watchlist and xwiki-platform-activitystream to
> >> xwiki-attic and update their docs on e.x.o to explain how to put them
> back
> >> if needed
> >>

> > IMO we should wait for the next cycle to move the modules out.
>
> I don’t think we need to wait if they can be installed easily, but sure.
> Note that moving out or not bundling by default is the same thing for me
> since it’ll be the same for users.
>
> Anyway first, there are a few issues we need to implement and fix.
>
> At this stage I’d like to make sure we have all the jira issues created
> and to agree on them and have a plan for fixing them.

> [snip]

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Brainstorming] Removing Watchlist & Activity Stream from XS?

Hi again,

> On 11 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi Guillaume,
>>
>>> On 11 Jun 2018, at 10:56, Guillaume Delhumeau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent

>> supposedly

>> the
>>>>

>>> * We have an RSS view, but it's not available from the macro. So it need
>>> be added if we want to keep it.
>>
>> I don’t think it’s that useful to have the RSS feed have a UI in the
>> macro. However, I think it’s useful to be able to have a RSS feed for a
>> specific configuration of the notifications (essentially this is what the
>> macro does: configures the notifications to work in a given way). AFAIU the
>> only RSS feed we have ATM is a fixed feed for the default notifications in
>> your user profile. So something more generic would be nice. I guess that
>> would mean a script service to return a RSS feed URL for some parameters
>> passed (the same params as those on the macro) + a generic RSS feed wiki
>> page that accepts parameters. WDYT?
>

> It's indeed what we need, but note that the URL could generated by the
> Notifications Macro itself (no need to create a script service, except if
> we plan to use the URL in other modules).

But the macro doesn’t provide a way to get something out. Not sure I understand what you’re proposing.

>> Do we have a jira issue for this?
>>

> Created: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15344
>

>>> * We don't have a "tag" filter. Need to be added.
>>
>> Ok. Do we have a jira issue for it?
>>

> Created: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15343
>
> This is a use-case that is needed only for AS, because I don't think it
> make sense, inside the notifications system, to filter upon a tag.

Actually if we think about it, it could be a generic use case for the notifications but I’d see it implemented more as a filter:
* Be able to filter pages tagged with a set of specific tags
* Be able to filter pages containing one or several specific keywords (search-based filter)

BTW, I wonder if users will not want to have several notification “profiles”/setups in the future to follow different things in the wiki.

For example I may want to be notified about all changes in the wiki under a certain page BUT I may also want to follow all changes in the wiki where the word “MediaWiki” is mentioned. And I may not want to mix the 2 needs. If I had a way to have different notification profiles, I could switch between them (a bit like perspectives in Eclipse).

If they’re mixed then notifications from one need may “drown” the notifications from the other need.

Hope you won’t hate me now ;)

>> with

>> that
>>>>

>>> If we don't care about the 2 remaining items I've mentioned above, we
>> could
>>> do it for 10.6RC1.

>> and
>> the
>> simple
>>>>

>>> We can only get rid of Activity Stream's UI. Because the storage is still
>>> implemented by Activity Stream's API (as the unique implementation of
>>> xwiki-platform-eventstream).
>>
>> So another item in the todo list then:
>> * Move the implementation to xwiki-platform-eventstream
>>
>> Do we have a jira for this?
>>

> It's more a new implementation that is needed, since the current one use
> "activitystream" in the table names. We might take the occasion to think
> about a new storage.

And move it to components since it’s using the old plugin architecture...

> For now, I consider it's safer to stick to the ActivityStream
> implementation (which is not visible from the UI) since it allows us to use
> both AS and Notifications with the same storage. The transition is easier
> this way.

Ok.