[Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

[Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

Right now we have:
* Supported browsers: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
* Supported DBs: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy

But we don’t have a list of supported Servlet Containers.

I think the reason is that we considered that XWiki would work on all of them. While this is true, in practice it means testing and finding the right configuration for XWiki to work on the various contrainers. Thus it requires time and testing, thus support.

For example right now lots of users have trouble making XWiki work on Wildfly or Glassfish. In the past I had worked on those and documented how to make XWiki work on them but new version have come up and XWiki has changed too and seems work is needed to document. I also added some jboss-reated config files in our distribution to make it easy and work OOB for JBoss. We might need to do that for other containers or udpate those files.

So IMO we should list a subset of Servlet Containers that we official support (ie. that we actively tests and update documentation, fix code when needed). Same as for DBs and browsers, the community is welcome to provide support for more ofc.

For me the supported list should be for now:
* Jetty
* Tomcat

I’m hesitating with Wildfly and Glassfish since they’re quite popular too. It would be nice to have them but I don’t think we have the manpower ATM so I would leave them to the community for now, as a best effort.

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Right now we have:
> * Supported browsers: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
> * Supported DBs: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>
> But we don’t have a list of supported Servlet Containers.
>
> I think the reason is that we considered that XWiki would work on all of them. While this is true, in practice it means testing and finding the right configuration for XWiki to work on the various contrainers. Thus it requires time and testing, thus support.
>
> For example right now lots of users have trouble making XWiki work on Wildfly or Glassfish. In the past I had worked on those and documented how to make XWiki work on them but new version have come up and XWiki has changed too and seems work is needed to document. I also added some jboss-reated config files in our distribution to make it easy and work OOB for JBoss. We might need to do that for other containers or udpate those files.
>
> So IMO we should list a subset of Servlet Containers that we official support (ie. that we actively tests and update documentation, fix code when needed). Same as for DBs and browsers, the community is welcome to provide support for more ofc.
>
> For me the supported list should be for now:
> * Jetty
> * Tomcat

At least this list would make official what is the current situation
which is not bad.

> I’m hesitating with Wildfly and Glassfish since they’re quite popular too. It would be nice to have them but I don’t think we have the manpower ATM so I would leave them to the community for now, as a best effort.

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Right now we have:
>> * Supported browsers: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
>> * Supported DBs: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>>
>> But we don’t have a list of supported Servlet Containers.
>>
>> I think the reason is that we considered that XWiki would work on all of them. While this is true, in practice it means testing and finding the right configuration for XWiki to work on the various contrainers. Thus it requires time and testing, thus support.
>>
>> For example right now lots of users have trouble making XWiki work on Wildfly or Glassfish. In the past I had worked on those and documented how to make XWiki work on them but new version have come up and XWiki has changed too and seems work is needed to document. I also added some jboss-reated config files in our distribution to make it easy and work OOB for JBoss. We might need to do that for other containers or udpate those files.
>>
>> So IMO we should list a subset of Servlet Containers that we official support (ie. that we actively tests and update documentation, fix code when needed). Same as for DBs and browsers, the community is welcome to provide support for more ofc.
>>
>> For me the supported list should be for now:
>> * Jetty
>> * Tomcat
>
> At least this list would make official what is the current situation
> which is not bad.

Well actually it's not 100% true for Jetty either. We do test a lot an
very customized version of Jetty (compared to the setup you get by
default when you download Jetty) plus I had issues last time I tried
to upgrade the version of Jetty (see
https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15155).

>> I’m hesitating with Wildfly and Glassfish since they’re quite popular too. It would be nice to have them but I don’t think we have the manpower ATM so I would leave them to the community for now, as a best effort.
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

> On 21 Aug 2018, at 16:25, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> Right now we have:
>>> * Supported browsers: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
>>> * Supported DBs: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>>>
>>> But we don’t have a list of supported Servlet Containers.
>>>
>>> I think the reason is that we considered that XWiki would work on all of them. While this is true, in practice it means testing and finding the right configuration for XWiki to work on the various contrainers. Thus it requires time and testing, thus support.
>>>
>>> For example right now lots of users have trouble making XWiki work on Wildfly or Glassfish. In the past I had worked on those and documented how to make XWiki work on them but new version have come up and XWiki has changed too and seems work is needed to document. I also added some jboss-reated config files in our distribution to make it easy and work OOB for JBoss. We might need to do that for other containers or udpate those files.
>>>
>>> So IMO we should list a subset of Servlet Containers that we official support (ie. that we actively tests and update documentation, fix code when needed). Same as for DBs and browsers, the community is welcome to provide support for more ofc.
>>>
>>> For me the supported list should be for now:
>>> * Jetty
>>> * Tomcat
>>
>> At least this list would make official what is the current situation
>> which is not bad.
>
> Well actually it's not 100% true for Jetty either. We do test a lot an
> very customized version of Jetty (compared to the setup you get by
> default when you download Jetty) plus I had issues last time I tried
> to upgrade the version of Jetty (see
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15155).

Yes, but we could support Jetty OOB too. Would be good IMO.

>>> I’m hesitating with Wildfly and Glassfish since they’re quite popular too. It would be nice to have them but I don’t think we have the manpower ATM so I would leave them to the community for now, as a best effort.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1 for such a page. We also need to align this with our installation
documentation.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 21 Aug 2018, at 16:25, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> At least this list would make official what is the current situation
>>> which is not bad.
>>
>> Well actually it's not 100% true for Jetty either. We do test a lot an
>> very customized version of Jetty (compared to the setup you get by
>> default when you download Jetty) plus I had issues last time I tried
>> to upgrade the version of Jetty (see
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15155).
>
> Yes, but we could support Jetty OOB too. Would be good IMO.

Sure, all I'm saying is that we don't do for Jetty what we do for
Tomcat right now contrary to what I said in my first answer.

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

+1 to add the page.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Right now we have:
> * Supported browsers: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/
> BrowserSupportStrategy
> * Supported DBs: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/
> DatabaseSupportStrategy
>
> But we don’t have a list of supported Servlet Containers.
>
> I think the reason is that we considered that XWiki would work on all of
> them. While this is true, in practice it means testing and finding the
> right configuration for XWiki to work on the various contrainers. Thus it
> requires time and testing, thus support.
>
> For example right now lots of users have trouble making XWiki work on
> Wildfly or Glassfish. In the past I had worked on those and documented how
> to make XWiki work on them but new version have come up and XWiki has
> changed too and seems work is needed to document. I also added some
> jboss-reated config files in our distribution to make it easy and work OOB
> for JBoss. We might need to do that for other containers or udpate those
> files.
>
> So IMO we should list a subset of Servlet Containers that we official
> support (ie. that we actively tests and update documentation, fix code when
> needed). Same as for DBs and browsers, the community is welcome to provide
> support for more ofc.
>
> For me the supported list should be for now:
> * Jetty
> * Tomcat
>
> I’m hesitating with Wildfly and Glassfish since they’re quite popular too.
> It would be nice to have them but I don’t think we have the manpower ATM so
> I would leave them to the community for now, as a best effort.

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

@All: ok I’m preparing the page.

@Ilie, Gabriela:

Please note that this means that in the Release Notes, starting with XWiki 10.7, we also need to indicate what Servlet Containers were tested, in addition to Browsers and Databases.

> On 21 Aug 2018, at 16:00, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Right now we have:
> * Supported browsers: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
> * Supported DBs: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>
> But we don’t have a list of supported Servlet Containers.
>
> I think the reason is that we considered that XWiki would work on all of them. While this is true, in practice it means testing and finding the right configuration for XWiki to work on the various contrainers. Thus it requires time and testing, thus support.
>
> For example right now lots of users have trouble making XWiki work on Wildfly or Glassfish. In the past I had worked on those and documented how to make XWiki work on them but new version have come up and XWiki has changed too and seems work is needed to document. I also added some jboss-reated config files in our distribution to make it easy and work OOB for JBoss. We might need to do that for other containers or udpate those files.
>
> So IMO we should list a subset of Servlet Containers that we official support (ie. that we actively tests and update documentation, fix code when needed). Same as for DBs and browsers, the community is welcome to provide support for more ofc.
>
> For me the supported list should be for now:
> * Jetty
> * Tomcat
>
> I’m hesitating with Wildfly and Glassfish since they’re quite popular too. It would be nice to have them but I don’t think we have the manpower ATM so I would leave them to the community for now, as a best effort.

Re: [Brainstorming] Servlet Container support strategy

Ok here’s the first basic version of the page:
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

Please check it out.

If someone has the itch it would be nice to provide icons for the various servlet containers as we do for browsers and DBs ;)