[Call for help] Help the XWiki project update applications on extensions.xwiki.org

[Call for help] Help the XWiki project update applications on extensions.xwiki.org

Hi developers/contributors,

We have quite a lot of applications on http://extensions.xwiki.org

However several haven't been updated for a very long time even though XWiki has made progress.

I can think of 3 areas where help would be appreciated:

* Some apps have wiki pages in XWiki Syntax 1.0 version. Those need to be upgraded to XWiki Syntax 2.1.
* Some apps don't register themselves in the Applications Panel. To change that just need to create a new page with the proper XObject. You can copy the Blog.ApplicationsPanelEntry page to this app's space and edit it.
* Some apps don't automatically register translations and force the user to manually add documentation resource bundle in the Administration.  There's now a better way which is to add an object of type XWiki.TranslationDocumentClass

Example of app that would need an update:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Polls+Application

So who's willing to help? :)

Note that the best strategy is to ensure that the application has a git repo on https://github.com/organizations/xwiki-contrib (there should be a Source button on the app page on extensions.xwiki.org too). If not, then let me know by answering this email and I'll create it for you and give you access so that you can make changes there. FYI the full process is documented at http://contrib.xwiki.org and I can help you with that.

Thanks!

Re: [Call for help] Help the XWiki project update applications on extensions.xwiki.org

jerem
Hi Vincent,

I'm willing to help, as much as my bandwith allows :)

Le 9 oct. 2013 16:29, "Vincent Massol" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi developers/contributors,
>
> We have quite a lot of applications on http://extensions.xwiki.org
>
> However several haven't been updated for a very long time even though
XWiki has made progress.

> I can think of 3 areas where help would be appreciated:
>
> * Some apps have wiki pages in XWiki Syntax 1.0 version. Those need to be
upgraded to XWiki Syntax 2.1.
> * Some apps don't register themselves in the Applications Panel. To
change that just need to create a new page with the proper XObject. You can
copy the Blog.ApplicationsPanelEntry page to this app's space and edit it.
> * Some apps don't automatically register translations and force the user
to manually add documentation resource bundle in the Administration.
 There's now a better way which is to add an object of type
XWiki.TranslationDocumentClass

> Example of app that would need an update:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Polls+Application
>
> So who's willing to help? :)
>
> Note that the best strategy is to ensure that the application has a git
repo on https://github.com/organizations/xwiki-contrib (there should be a
Source button on the app page on extensions.xwiki.org too). If not, then
let me know by answering this email and I'll create it for you and give you
access so that you can make changes there. FYI the full process is
documented at http://contrib.xwiki.org and I can help you with that.

To be clear, does that mean that you take care of creating the repo AND
populating it with original sources, or that we should do it ?
Shouldn't this be done by or with authorization from the original extension
author ?

I would add that ideally extensions should be published to a maven repo (so
others can depend on them), but maybe that's too much for the cleaning
activity you propose... (and could be considered in a second step for a set
of extensions)

On Oct 9, 2013, at 7:17 PM, Jeremie BOUSQUET <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> I'm willing to help, as much as my bandwith allows :)

Great!

See below

> Le 9 oct. 2013 16:29, "Vincent Massol" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi developers/contributors,
>>
>> We have quite a lot of applications on http://extensions.xwiki.org
>>
>> However several haven't been updated for a very long time even though
> XWiki has made progress.
>>
>> I can think of 3 areas where help would be appreciated:
>>
>> * Some apps have wiki pages in XWiki Syntax 1.0 version. Those need to be
> upgraded to XWiki Syntax 2.1.
>> * Some apps don't register themselves in the Applications Panel. To
> change that just need to create a new page with the proper XObject. You can
> copy the Blog.ApplicationsPanelEntry page to this app's space and edit it.
>> * Some apps don't automatically register translations and force the user
> to manually add documentation resource bundle in the Administration.
> There's now a better way which is to add an object of type
> XWiki.TranslationDocumentClass
>>
>> Example of app that would need an update:
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Polls+Application
>>
>> So who's willing to help? :)
>>
>> Note that the best strategy is to ensure that the application has a git
> repo on https://github.com/organizations/xwiki-contrib (there should be a
> Source button on the app page on extensions.xwiki.org too). If not, then
> let me know by answering this email and I'll create it for you and give you
> access so that you can make changes there. FYI the full process is
> documented at http://contrib.xwiki.org and I can help you with that.
>
> To be clear, does that mean that you take care of creating the repo AND
> populating it with original sources, or that we should do it ?
> Shouldn't this be done by or with authorization from the original extension
> author ?

I can create the repo and if you can populate it then all the better :)

You can ask the original author (always better) but if you don't change the license and the license allows it you don't really need to ask.

> I would add that ideally extensions should be published to a maven repo (so
> others can depend on them), but maybe that's too much for the cleaning
> activity you propose... (and could be considered in a second step for a set
> of extensions)

Sure

Re: [Call for help] Help the XWiki project updateapplications on extensions.xwiki.org

laurin1
Is there a way we can search of Wiki pages that have 1.0 syntax?

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

[...]

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential or otherwise privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message or that arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version from the sender.

www.pridedallas.com

Re: [xwiki-devs] [Call for help] Help the XWiki project updateapplications on extensions.xwiki.org

On Oct 9, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Keith Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way we can search of Wiki pages that have 1.0 syntax?

Searching for page syntaxes is easy:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntaxes+Distribution+Chart

But what's the relationship with this thread? :)

Or do you mean how to search for pages located inside XAR files, attached to wiki pages or located in a maven repository?

> Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

I guess what I should have said is how do I find applications that meet this criteria if I wanted to help with this? Or I just need to volunteer and then you (or someone) will give me work to do? :)

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

On Oct 9, 2013, at 8:37 PM, Keith Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Some apps have wiki pages in XWiki Syntax 1.0 version. Those need to be upgraded to XWiki Syntax 2.1."
>
> I guess what I should have said is how do I find applications that meet this criteria if I wanted to help with this? Or I just need to volunteer and then you (or someone) will give me work to do? :)

You cannot guess this! :) You need to pick an extension you'd like to improve and then see the work to be done on it.

If you don't have any idea this one is a good one to start with: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Polls+Application
I know that it needs at least items 2 and 3 from my list (i.e. Application Panels entry + Transaltion XObject). I don't know the syntax of its pages but I guess it's already 2.0.

But generally speaking pick one app that you've installed and that you like or that you'd like to use and see what small things you can improve in it, especially regarding these 3 items (but not limited) :)

Thanks for your help!
-Vincent