Chat extension

afrey
Does anyone know if there is any chat extension for the XWiki?
I took a look at the Skype extension, and what I got from that is that you will have to use the Skype account/application to send the messages.
I was wondering if there would it be possible to do the chatting directly in the XWiki.

Alina.
- Alina.

Re: Chat extension

Lockie
afrey wrote
Does anyone know if there is any chat extension for the XWiki?
I took a look at the Skype extension, and what I got from that is that you will have to use the Skype account/application to send the messages.
I was wondering if there would it be possible to do the chatting directly in the XWiki.

Alina.
Hi Alina

It would be a good feature to have, and looks like it has already been proposed http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/AdvancedEmailIntegration

You could try the IRC bot application: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/IRC+Bot+Application,
otherwise I think the only other way would be to embed a chat room/instant messenger on a page? It'd probably require a bit of Googling around for a suitable one.

Regards
Lockie

Re: Chat extension

On 04/13/2011 05:16 PM, afrey wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is any chat extension for the XWiki?
> I took a look at the Skype extension, and what I got from that is that you
> will have to use the Skype account/application to send the messages.
> I was wondering if there would it be possible to do the chatting directly in
> the XWiki.

The Skype extension simply tells if a user is online or not.

An official chat application was never committed, although, as far as I
know, two prototypes have been coded inside XWiki SAS, and other users
might have developed something similar for their projects.

A real time chat will be developed as part of the Wiki 3.0 research
project, in which XWiki SAS is a parter as well, but this will only come
at a later point.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Chat extension

afrey
Related to the XWiki 3.0 release, it is mentioned that "XWiki 3.0 features include Twitter-like messaging and networking inside the wiki". Is this related to chatting? Or is the "messaging" related to something else? If it is referring to chatting, where do I find it, how do I use it?

Alina.
- Alina.

Re: Chat extension

afrey
I imported the IRC .xar file that you mentioned, but I couldn't find anything related to chatting. Is there any documentation on how to use the IRC package? Thanks.

Alina.
- Alina.

Re: Chat extension

On Apr 19, 2011, at 5:00 PM, afrey wrote:

> Related to the XWiki 3.0 release, it is mentioned that "XWiki 3.0 features
> include Twitter-like messaging and networking inside the wiki". Is this
> related to chatting?

No. It's just a twitter-like implementation.

> Or is the "messaging" related to something else? If it
> is referring to chatting, where do I find it, how do I use it?

You should check the release notes for XE 3.0.

Re: Chat extension

On Apr 19, 2011, at 5:06 PM, afrey wrote:

> I imported the IRC .xar file that you mentioned, but I couldn't find anything
> related to chatting. Is there any documentation on how to use the IRC
> package? Thanks.

See http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/IRC+Bot+Application

This has nothing to do with chatting.