Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

Google just gave the tentative allocation for project. It turns out we
will get 4 projects. I hoped for more put given the 626 students allocated
(this is already 3M$ by Google) and the 105 Open Source organisation
participation, this is kind of normal.

We will have to make some tough choices. The current list I created was:

User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)
P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)
AntiSpam features
JCR backend
Editor Completion
GData backend

We would have to choose 4 and order the last 3 (in case we get additional
projects at the last minute).

Go ahead and give your opinion before tonight since we have to give the
final answer before tomorrow morning pacific time.

Re: Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

jeremi joslin

> Google just gave the tentative allocation for project. It turns out we
> will get 4 projects. I hoped for more put given the 626 students allocated
> (this is already 3M$ by Google) and the 105 Open Source organisation
> participation, this is kind of normal.
>
> We will have to make some tough choices. The current list I created was:
>
> User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)
> P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
> AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)
> AntiSpam features
> JCR backend
> Editor Completion
> GData backend
>
> We would have to choose 4 and order the last 3 (in case we get additional
> projects at the last minute).
>
> Go ahead and give your opinion before tonight since we have to give the
> final answer before tomorrow morning pacific time.
>
> Ludovic

Hi,
so for me I'm voting for this :

4 chosen:
* User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)
* AntiSpam features
* JCR backend
* AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)

3 others ordered:
* Editor Completion
* GData backend
* P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)

Jérémi

Re: Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

Stéphane Laurière
Here's my vote:

4 chosen:
- JCR backend
- P2P XWiki
- GData backend
- User interface

3 others ordered:
- Ajax API
- Editor completion
- Antispam features

Cheers!

Stéphane

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Google just gave the tentative allocation for project. It turns out
> we will get 4 projects. I hoped for more put given the 626 students
> allocated (this is already 3M$ by Google) and the 105 Open Source
> organisation participation, this is kind of normal.
>
> We will have to make some tough choices. The current list I created
> was:
>
> User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study) P2P (allow offline
> usage and P2P XWiki hosting) AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it
> can be one of them or all) AntiSpam features JCR backend Editor
> Completion GData backend
>
> We would have to choose 4 and order the last 3 (in case we get
> additional projects at the last minute).
>
> Go ahead and give your opinion before tonight since we have to give
> the final answer before tomorrow morning pacific time.
>
> Ludovic

Re: Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

Robin Fernandes
Judging from the XWiki-based communities I'm administering both at
work and in my spare time, it seems usability is frustrating people
quite a bit. I'm not a committer, but if I get a vote, I'd say:

First:
User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)
Editor Completion
AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)
AntiSpam features

Then:
P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
JCR backend
GData backend

Regards,
Robin.

On 21/05/06, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's my vote:
>
> 4 chosen:
> - JCR backend
> - P2P XWiki
> - GData backend
> - User interface
>
> 3 others ordered:
> - Ajax API
> - Editor completion
> - Antispam features
>
> Cheers!
>
> Stéphane
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Google just gave the tentative allocation for project. It turns out
> > we will get 4 projects. I hoped for more put given the 626 students
> > allocated (this is already 3M$ by Google) and the 105 Open Source
> > organisation participation, this is kind of normal.
> >
> > We will have to make some tough choices. The current list I created
> > was:
> >
> > User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study) P2P (allow offline
> > usage and P2P XWiki hosting) AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it
> > can be one of them or all) AntiSpam features JCR backend Editor
> > Completion GData backend
> >
> > We would have to choose 4 and order the last 3 (in case we get
> > additional projects at the last minute).
> >
> > Go ahead and give your opinion before tonight since we have to give
> > the final answer before tomorrow morning pacific time.
> >
> > Ludovic

Re: [xwiki-users] Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

Jean-Vincent Drean
> We will have to make some tough choices. The current list I created was:

> User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)
> P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
> AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)
> AntiSpam features
> JCR backend
> Editor Completion
> GData backend
>
> We would have to choose 4 and order the last 3 (in case we get additional
> projects at the last minute).

Hi,

my opinion :

4 Chosen:
* AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)
* P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
* AntiSpam features
* JCR backend

3 others ordered:
* Editor Completion
* GData backend
* User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)

In any case we will have to implement the ergonomic study but I don't
think that we need a SoC for it.

Jean-Vincent.

Re: Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

You are all welcome to vote.. I need as much help as possible making the
right choice.
Choosing only 4 project is a tough call..

The rule I'm currently applying is:

14 points to 11 points for the 1st to 4th place
3 to 1 points for the 5th to 7th

This way we take into account the opinion about the projects that people
say we SHOULD do, and we have a way to handle tie breakers.

Ludovic

Robin Fernandes a écrit :

> Judging from the XWiki-based communities I'm administering both at
> work and in my spare time, it seems usability is frustrating people
> quite a bit. I'm not a committer, but if I get a vote, I'd say:
>
> First:
> User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study)
> Editor Completion
> AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it can be one of them or all)
> AntiSpam features
>
> Then:
> P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
> JCR backend
> GData backend
>
> Regards,
> Robin.
>
> On 21/05/06, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Here's my vote:
>>
>> 4 chosen:
>> - JCR backend
>> - P2P XWiki
>> - GData backend
>> - User interface
>>
>> 3 others ordered:
>> - Ajax API
>> - Editor completion
>> - Antispam features
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Stéphane
>>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Google just gave the tentative allocation for project. It turns out
>> > we will get 4 projects. I hoped for more put given the 626 students
>> > allocated (this is already 3M$ by Google) and the 105 Open Source
>> > organisation participation, this is kind of normal.
>> >
>> > We will have to make some tough choices. The current list I created
>> > was:
>> >
>> > User Interface (Implement the ergonomic study) P2P (allow offline
>> > usage and P2P XWiki hosting) AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor (it
>> > can be one of them or all) AntiSpam features JCR backend Editor
>> > Completion GData backend
>> >
>> > We would have to choose 4 and order the last 3 (in case we get
>> > additional projects at the last minute).
>> >
>> > Go ahead and give your opinion before tonight since we have to give
>> > the final answer before tomorrow morning pacific time.
>> >
>> > Ludovic

>> > service home page: http://www.objectweb.org/wws
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: Choosing final projects for the Summer of Code

François Le Droff
Here is my vote (as a xwiki user and admin) :

User Interface
P2P (allow offline usage and P2P XWiki hosting)
GData backend
AJAX API, Toolbar and Form Editor

JCR backend
Editor Completion
AntiSpam features (can't it just be a jcaptcha-like on the user registration page ?)

Cheers !
And thanks for all xwiki !

--

François Le Droff