Classification in Xwiki

geoffreyma
Hello,
I have tried several enterprise wiki and I like Xwiki very much appart from one thing that makes me hesitant to go for it.
This thing is the classification. It seems so messy for me to not have a clear classification of the pages and documents, and I think others get crazy with it too.
What would seem logical and intuitive for me is to have by default a side panel with a tree of all the directories (or categories or spaces, depending on how you call it), sub directories, sub sub, and pages. By default this panel would be empty and as soon as you create a first test directory and a first test page, this panel would start to fill up. This would be the main menu by default.
Xwiki has spaces, that's well. But why cannot we create sub spaces and why are they not displayed in a hierarchical menu on all pages?

My suggestion is a kind of taxonomy improvement. We could have displayed by default on all pages:
- a panel with a tree of the spaces and pages
- a panel you can expand with the type of documents (wiki pages, documents, etc) so that you can access to a page displaying all the wiki pages, to a page displaying all the documents, to a page displaying all the blog posts, to a page displaying all the comments, etc.
- a panel you can expand with collections (or "categories"). This collections would be created by the administrator and would be for example "Procedure", "Specification sheet", "Documentation", "News", etc.
- a panel you can expand with all the users. When you click on a user, you can see a page with all the pages he has created, all the pages he as modified, etc.
- a tag panel

The Classification is one of the most important aspect in an ressources/knowledge/procedure portal. It seems for me that the classification should be improved in Xwiki.

If I haven't understood something, could you help me by giving me the good practises on how enterprise organise their documents in xwiki so that it is easily and intuitively accessible by their users.
Many thanks,
Geoffrey

Re: Classification in Xwiki

jerem
Hello,

My humble 2 cents ... The "Classification Extension" may be of some help to
start with [1].
I agree with you that having a real "taxonomy" transverse to all xwiki
items (pages, spaces, objects..., blogs, tags, faq entries, ...) would be a
great improvement IMO.
Currently xwiki natural way of structuring content is more about
parent/child relation-ship and spaces. Taxonomy could bring more meaning to
that, as these relation-ships, in a big wiki, frequently are more
"technical", or driven by rights, more than by taxonomy. Very frequently,
you can't put a document in only one place logically, with a taxonomy you
could relate it to more than one topic for instance.

BR,
Jeremie

[1]
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Classification+Application

2013/4/9 geoffreyma <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
> I have tried several enterprise wiki and I like Xwiki very much appart from
> one thing that makes me hesitant to go for it.
> This thing is the classification. It seems so messy for me to not have a
> clear classification of the pages and documents, and I think others get
> crazy with it too.
> What would seem logical and intuitive for me is to have by default a side
> panel with a tree of all the directories (or categories or spaces,
> depending
> on how you call it), sub directories, sub sub, and pages. By default this
> panel would be empty and as soon as you create a first test directory and a
> first test page, this panel would start to fill up. This would be the main
> menu by default.
> Xwiki has spaces, that's well. But why cannot we create sub spaces and why
> are they not displayed in a hierarchical menu on all pages?
>
> My suggestion is a kind of taxonomy improvement. We could have displayed by
> default on all pages:
> - a panel with a tree of the spaces and pages
> - a panel you can expand with the type of documents (wiki pages, documents,
> etc) so that you can access to a page displaying all the wiki pages, to a
> page displaying all the documents, to a page displaying all the blog posts,
> to a page displaying all the comments, etc.
> - a panel you can expand with collections (or "categories"). This
> collections would be created by the administrator and would be for example
> "Procedure", "Specification sheet", "Documentation", "News", etc.
> - a panel you can expand with all the users. When you click on a user, you
> can see a page with all the pages he has created, all the pages he as
> modified, etc.
> - a tag panel
>
> The Classification is one of the most important aspect in an
> ressources/knowledge/procedure portal. It seems for me that the
> classification should be improved in Xwiki.
>
> If I haven't understood something, could you help me by giving me the good
> practises on how enterprise organise their documents in xwiki so that it is
> easily and intuitively accessible by their users.
> Many thanks,
> Geoffrey

Re: Classification in Xwiki

rrodriguezIDIS
Hi,

I would like to add my humble 1 cent hoping it can help others to decide to get involved with XWiki.

Even though I frequently receive comments in the same direction Geoffrey points to, that is, users complaining about not having a "classical" way of organizing contents (that usually means not having a way of creating folder, and subfolders, and subsubfolders and so on, so forth) I usually succeed when explaining that XWiki introduces a different way of organizing and structuring enterprise information.

I'm really afraid of using the wrong way concepts as taxonomy or hierarchy, thus I simply use the idea of system-driven creation and retrieval of contents. What XWiki offers you is a more-than-reasonable set of features out of the box but, much more interesting, is an impressive capability of integration of different programming and scripting environments, an impressive set of APIs, a mature data model [1] and database schema implementation [2].

With XWiki, you'll be creating a set of documents structured for the future: you can use a complete set of possibilities based on parent/child relationship, spaces, tags, instantiation of existing and new classes to create, structure, annotate and retrieve new pieces of information.

But having XWiki in your organization, at lease in ours works like that, does mean to have some person being able translate your team requirements to XWiki structure, features and new application design (extrem design) capabilities.

HTH!

Ricardo

[1] http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/DataModel
[2] http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/DatabaseSchema

Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.

Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.

See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician
Technical Secretariat
Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS)
http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: Classification in Xwiki

geoffreyma
Hi,
Thanks for your answers!
Meanwhile, I have discovered the workspace module which seems fine.
Now I think to organize content in this way (I would be interested to know the practises of others):
- use wiki farm for the company level: one wiki per company or organisation
- use the workspaces for the department level: one workspace for the Sales dep, one workspace for the Purchase dep, one for the Account dep, and so on.
- use the spaces for sub-department: in the Sales dep workspace, one space for the customer service, one space for the marketing, and so on.
- use of parent/child relationship between pages for further hierarchy.
Regarding to the content type, I don't know yet if it works better to use tags or to create a specific class for that. The content types I would like to assign to my content are for instance: 'procedure', 'workflow', 'Idea', 'Project', 'knowledge', 'report', etc. What are your practises?
Last thing: I have installed the Workspace Application and Workspace API not through the extension manager but manually as mentioned here: http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-8343
My problem is it doesn't work better, I still get the message: "The Workspace Manager java component is not installed. This page will not work properly. Make sure that the file 'wiki30-components-workspace-manager-<version>.jar' is present under the 'webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib/' folder." Could you help me with this problem?
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!
Geoffrey

Re: Classification in Xwiki

geoffreyma
Hi,
Anyone can help me with the error "wiki30-components-workspace-manager-<version>.jar' is present under the 'webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib/' folder" when I tried to create a new workspace? I tried to install the extension manually but it doesn't work better.
Thanks!
Geoffrey

Re: Classification in Xwiki

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 6:15 AM, geoffreyma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Anyone can help me with the error
> "wiki30-components-workspace-manager-<version>.jar' is present under the
> 'webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib/' folder" when I tried to create a new workspace?
> I tried to install the extension manually but it doesn't work better.

Which jars did you put in WEB-INF/lib when you (manually) installed workspaces?

> Thanks!
> Geoffrey

Re: Classification in Xwiki

geoffreyma
Thanks,
Now I have solved my problem.
It didn't work when I tried to install the .jar workspace modules downloaded from extensions.xwiki.org (versions limited to 4.5.3) but now I have found the versions 5-2 of these jars on the website nexus.xwiki.org and it works perfectly.
thanks
Geoffrey