Comment field in XE 1.6 for page display

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Comment field in XE 1.6 for page display

Art Yeung
Hi All,

[Nabble told me my last post didn't get sent, so reposting, apologize if it caused a duplication]

There are few tabs for comments/attachment etc in the new layout for XE 1.6 which is great. However, can I suggest we do not show the details by default until users click? (which like version 1.5).

The reason is that currently every page made an authentication call. When we are using LDAP for authentication this may take 1-2 seconds. Since the comment field is opened by default, it's another 2 seconds delay for until the page is completely loaded. Reducing this 2 seconds means 40-50% faster per page which is very significance.

Many Thanks
Art.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comment field in XE 1.6 for page display

Art Yeung

Art Yeung wrote
Hi All,

[Nabble told me my last post didn't get sent, so reposting, apologize if it caused a duplication]

There are few tabs for comments/attachment etc in the new layout for XE 1.6 which is great. However, can I suggest we do not show the details by default until users click? (which like version 1.5).

The reason is that currently every page made an authentication call. When we are using LDAP for authentication this may take 1-2 seconds. Since the comment field is opened by default, it's another 2 seconds delay for until the page is completely loaded. Reducing this 2 seconds means 40-50% faster per page which is very significance.

Many Thanks
Art.
Hi all,

Has anyone got a chance to pick up this piece please.

Thanks!  Art.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

tab characters in editor

Regan Gill
Hi,

I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am getting a
lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when editing,
instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good reason
for this or just something no one got around to implementing?

Thanks,
Regan
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: tab characters in editor

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Regan Gill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am getting a
> lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when editing,
> instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good reason
> for this or just something no one got around to implementing?

If you are using Firefox, I think it's the default behavior of this
browser (when IE insert a tab character) in an input field.

Now, maybe we can catch the tab key event in some way... but I will
let more WYSIWYG experienced guys answer for this ;)

>
> Thanks,
> Regan
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>



--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: tab characters in editor

Marius Dumitru Florea
Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Regan Gill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am getting a
>> lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when editing,
>> instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good reason
>> for this or just something no one got around to implementing?
>
> If you are using Firefox, I think it's the default behavior of this
> browser (when IE insert a tab character) in an input field.
>
> Now, maybe we can catch the tab key event in some way... but I will
> let more WYSIWYG experienced guys answer for this ;)

It can be done. From JavaScript we can prevent the default behavior of
the browser and add our own logic. But then we would have to ask more
questions:

* do all the users expect the tab to indent?
* which character should be used? space or real tab. If space, how many?
* what if the JavaScript is disabled?

Regards,
Marius

>
>> Thanks,
>> Regan
>> _______________________________________________
>> users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>>
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: tab characters in editor

mike a.-2
1. No.
2. No way it should be a different character.
3. Maybe it could be configurable. So if a user wants such
functionality, he will be informed about JavaScript. Besides that,
from W3C statistics, 95% users have JavaScript enabled. Anyway, if the
user has it disabled, he will get his default tab action :)
 Quoting Marius Dumitru Florea : Thomas Mortagne wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Regan Gill  wrote:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am
getting a
 >> lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when
editing,
 >> instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good
reason
 >> for this or just something no one got around to implementing?
 >
 > If you are using Firefox, I think it's the default behavior of
this
 > browser (when IE insert a tab character) in an input field.
 >
 > Now, maybe we can catch the tab key event in some way... but I
will
 > let more WYSIWYG experienced guys answer for this ;)
 It can be done. From JavaScript we can prevent the default behavior
of
 the browser and add our own logic. But then we would have to ask
more
 questions:
 * do all the users expect the tab to indent?
 * which character should be used? space or real tab. If space, how
many?
 * what if the JavaScript is disabled?
 Regards,
 Marius
 >
 >> Thanks,
 >> Regan
 >> _______________________________________________
 >> users mailing list
 >> [hidden email]
 >> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
 >>
 >
 >
 >
 _______________________________________________
 users mailing list
 [hidden email]
 http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
 Best regards, Mike

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: tab characters in editor

Regan Gill
In reply to this post by Marius Dumitru Florea

> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Regan Gill
<[hidden email]>

> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am
> getting a
> >> lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when
> editing,
> >> instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good
> reason
> >> for this or just something no one got around to implementing?
> >
> > If you are using Firefox, I think it's the default behavior of this
> > browser (when IE insert a tab character) in an input field.
> >
> > Now, maybe we can catch the tab key event in some way... but I will
> > let more WYSIWYG experienced guys answer for this ;)
>
> It can be done. From JavaScript we can prevent the default behavior of
> the browser and add our own logic. But then we would have to ask more
> questions:
>
> * do all the users expect the tab to indent?
> * which character should be used? space or real tab. If space, how
> many?
> * what if the JavaScript is disabled?
>
> Regards,
> Marius

It could be an option setting for the wiki:
1. Default (focus change)
2. Insert Tab
3. Insert Space

I think if Javascript is disabled then they just get the default
behavior. (wouldn't other things not work in that case as well? )

My company is pretty picky about editors (we include FCKeditor in our
product and there are a lot of enhancement requests for that) so I am
getting quite a few requests for enhancements on the wiki including this
one. The other big one is a request for double click to edit. So I don't
know if I just have picky customers or not, but personally I would
really like to have tabs since they make code easier to write in the
pages.

Thanks for your replies,
Regan
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: tab characters in editor

Jean-Vincent Drean
I've created an issue so that this discussion doesn't disappear in the
deep of this mailing list :)
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2903

Note that a little POC patch for the wiki editor would be very welcome.

I'd love to be able to indent my velocity code with the tab key (a 2
spaces setting for me please).

JV.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Regan Gill <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Regan Gill
> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I have set up xwiki for my company's wiki. One complaint I am
>> getting a
>> >> lot from users is that the tab key doesn't insert a tab when
>> editing,
>> >> instead it works like a form and moves the focus. Is there a good
>> reason
>> >> for this or just something no one got around to implementing?
>> >
>> > If you are using Firefox, I think it's the default behavior of this
>> > browser (when IE insert a tab character) in an input field.
>> >
>> > Now, maybe we can catch the tab key event in some way... but I will
>> > let more WYSIWYG experienced guys answer for this ;)
>>
>> It can be done. From JavaScript we can prevent the default behavior of
>> the browser and add our own logic. But then we would have to ask more
>> questions:
>>
>> * do all the users expect the tab to indent?
>> * which character should be used? space or real tab. If space, how
>> many?
>> * what if the JavaScript is disabled?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marius
>
> It could be an option setting for the wiki:
> 1. Default (focus change)
> 2. Insert Tab
> 3. Insert Space
>
> I think if Javascript is disabled then they just get the default
> behavior. (wouldn't other things not work in that case as well? )
>
> My company is pretty picky about editors (we include FCKeditor in our
> product and there are a lot of enhancement requests for that) so I am
> getting quite a few requests for enhancements on the wiki including this
> one. The other big one is a request for double click to edit. So I don't
> know if I just have picky customers or not, but personally I would
> really like to have tabs since they make code easier to write in the
> pages.
>
> Thanks for your replies,
> Regan
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users