Connection Pooling

Sam Taha
Greetings,
I am new to xwiki and was wondering how some of the multi-company features of xwiki work. From my readings it sounds like one must create a separate mysql db for each new company/tenant. If this is true would this not require a seperate database connection pools for each company?

Are Oracle or Postgresql supported? I know with these two databases one can create database namespaces (something mysql does not have). This would allow the same jdbc driver to reference mulitple namespaced schemes and thus use the same pool.

Anyway, any thoughts would be apprciated. I am looking to setup xwiki in a multi company setup and was looking for some insight.

Thanks,
Sam

Re: Connection Pooling

There is some information here on how to setup virtual wikis with xwiki

http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Doc/HowToSetupVirtualWikis

This currently works with mysql and hasn't been tested with other DBs..
It relies on the setCatalog() function of JDBC so it should work with
most DBs..

Using setCatalog does not need a separate connection pool for each DB
even on mysql. The switch of database happens on the same connection.
It works perfectly fine and we are running this with 4400 databases on
xwiki.com

Ludovic

Sam Taha wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am new to xwiki and was wondering how some of the multi-company
> features of xwiki work. From my readings it sounds like one must
> create a separate mysql db for each new company/tenant. If this is
> true would this not require a seperate database connection pools for
> each company?
>
> Are Oracle or Postgresql supported? I know with these two databases
> one can create database namespaces (something mysql does not have).
> This would allow the same jdbc driver to reference mulitple namespaced
> schemes and thus use the same pool.
>
> Anyway, any thoughts would be apprciated. I am looking to setup xwiki
> in a multi company setup and was looking for some insight.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Re: Connection Pooling

Sam Taha
Hi Ludovic,
Thanks for the reply. That is a lot of dbs running on one server, very interesting to see mysql scale this well. I am not sure if setCatalog would work the same with Postgres and Oracle. Last I check on Postgres a call to setCatalog created a different db connection (socket level stuff).

You can get the multi database stuff to work with postregres and oracle but you would instead need to qualify your table names with the corresponding namespace. Postgres has an explicit namespace feature while Oracle's is more tied to the owner of the class. This would work the same with mysql also for the most part.

-Sam

Hi,

Sam Taha wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am new to xwiki and was wondering how some of the multi-company
> features of xwiki work. From my readings it sounds like one must
> create a separate mysql db for each new company/tenant. If this is
> true would this not require a seperate database connection pools for
> each company?
>
> Are Oracle or Postgresql supported? I know with these two databases
> one can create database namespaces (something mysql does not have).
> This would allow the same jdbc driver to reference mulitple namespaced
> schemes and thus use the same pool.
>
> Anyway, any thoughts would be apprciated. I am looking to setup xwiki
> in a multi company setup and was looking for some insight.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

text extraction

Youcef Bey
Hi,

I am new using xwiki. I would like to use lucene plug-in to extract textual area from pdf, wrod, html files. The plug-in work well but I could not find how to extract text from indexed files. I know that during indexation "lucene" read file by extracting text.

Are there some person who can help.

Thant you in advance

Youcef
National Institute of Informatics-Japan

Re: Connection Pooling

Ludovic Dubost-3

Interesting.. I had not thought too much about the portability of the
solution I used to other Databases.
It would be interesting to test this in a real environment and see if
something needs to be changed.

It's not necessary easy to prefix tables, since it's hibernate creating
the database queries. However any changes would only be in the
XWikiHibernateStore class since all database access is done there.

Ludovic

Sam Taha wrote:

> [...]
>     > Anyway, any thoughts would be apprciated. I am looking to setup
>     xwiki
>     > in a multi company setup and was looking for some insight.
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     > Sam
>     >
>     >
>     > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>

>     --
>     Ludovic Dubost
>     XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
>     Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>     XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>     Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>

>     --
>     You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: text extraction

I don't think this is part of the Lucene plugin.. This would need to be
added..

Ludovic