[Contrib] Demo flavor

I’d like to request a github repo in xwiki-contrib for a Demo flavor extension.

The idea is that:
- since we want to demonstrate the power of xwiki on playground.xwiki.org
- and since the xwiki github org will focus on providing generic runtime only (made only with core extensions), it would be interesting for users testing xwiki to have a demo flavor that users can pick from on the DW screen (in addition to the default flavor). In the future we expect the community to create a lot more flavors but that’s for later, won’t happen overnight.

So I’m proposing to create a demo flavor that includes a maximum number of high-quality extensions that we have in xwiki-contrib:

To start with:
- Blog
- File Manager
- Meeting Manager
- Forum
- Task Manager
- Idea
- Diagram

In addition, in term of layout I’m proposing:
* Navigation panel on the left
* App bar on the right
* A demo text on the home page and beneath the activity stream (one under another so that clicking edit makes it easy to update the page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

FTR, for now I'm not proposing a multiwiki since that would means installing a new wiki and it's harder to manage upgrades.

So I’m only proposing the first version below.

Future versions could have:

* Multiwiki (i.e. separate wiki)
* Social logins installed by default (would need to make it a real installable extensions though)

On 21 Jan 2016 at 12:11:05, [hidden email] ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’d like to request a github repo in xwiki-contrib for a Demo flavor extension.
>
> The idea is that:
> - since we want to demonstrate the power of xwiki on playground.xwiki.org
> - and since the xwiki github org will focus on providing generic runtime only (made only with core extensions), it would be interesting for users testing xwiki to have a demo flavor that users can pick from on the DW screen (in addition to the default flavor). In the future we expect the community to create a lot more flavors but that’s for later, won’t happen overnight.
>
> So I’m proposing to create a demo flavor that includes a maximum number of high-quality extensions that we have in xwiki-contrib:
>
> To start with:
> - Blog
> - File Manager
> - Meeting Manager
> - Forum
> - Task Manager
> - Idea
> - Diagram
>
> In addition, in term of layout I’m proposing:
> * Navigation panel on the left
> * App bar on the right
> * A demo text on the home page and beneath the activity stream (one under another so that clicking edit makes it easy to update the page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
+1, I'm just not fan of having the app bar in the right column.

Note: in the future, this flavor should integrate a tour (
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application) to
demonstrate the power of XWiki. I'm working on this application currently.

> FTR, for now I'm not proposing a multiwiki since that would means
> installing a new wiki and it's harder to manage upgrades.
>
> So I’m only proposing the first version below.
>
> Future versions could have:
>
> * Multiwiki (i.e. separate wiki)
> * Social logins installed by default (would need to make it a real
> installable extensions though)

> On 21 Jan 2016 at 12:11:05, [hidden email] ([hidden email](mailto:
> [hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’d like to request a github repo in xwiki-contrib for a Demo flavor
> extension.
> >
> > The idea is that:
> > - since we want to demonstrate the power of xwiki on
> playground.xwiki.org
> > - and since the xwiki github org will focus on providing generic runtime
> only (made only with core extensions), it would be interesting for users
> testing xwiki to have a demo flavor that users can pick from on the DW
> screen (in addition to the default flavor). In the future we expect the
> community to create a lot more flavors but that’s for later, won’t happen
> overnight.
> >
> > So I’m proposing to create a demo flavor that includes a maximum number
> of high-quality extensions that we have in xwiki-contrib:
> >
> > To start with:
> > - Blog
> > - File Manager
> > - Meeting Manager
> > - Forum
> > - Task Manager
> > - Idea
> > - Diagram
> >
> > In addition, in term of layout I’m proposing:
> > * Navigation panel on the left
> > * App bar on the right
> > * A demo text on the home page and beneath the activity stream (one
> under another so that clicking edit makes it easy to update the page)
> >
> > WDYT?

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

On 21 Jan 2016 at 13:10:41, Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> +1, I'm just not fan of having the app bar in the right column.
>
> Note: in the future, this flavor should integrate a tour (
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application) to
> demonstrate the power of XWiki. I'm working on this application currently.

Yes I agree. However I also think that this tour should be in the base flavor and that it should be extensible so that flavors could contribute additional tour items.

Thanks
-vincent

> > FTR, for now I'm not proposing a multiwiki since that would means
> > installing a new wiki and it's harder to manage upgrades.
> >
> > So I’m only proposing the first version below.
> >
> > Future versions could have:
> >
> > * Multiwiki (i.e. separate wiki)
> > * Social logins installed by default (would need to make it a real
> > installable extensions though)

> > On 21 Jan 2016 at 12:11:05, [hidden email] ([hidden email](mailto:
> > [hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I’d like to request a github repo in xwiki-contrib for a Demo flavor
> > extension.
> > >
> > > The idea is that:
> > > - since we want to demonstrate the power of xwiki on
> > playground.xwiki.org
> > > - and since the xwiki github org will focus on providing generic runtime
> > only (made only with core extensions), it would be interesting for users
> > testing xwiki to have a demo flavor that users can pick from on the DW
> > screen (in addition to the default flavor). In the future we expect the
> > community to create a lot more flavors but that’s for later, won’t happen
> > overnight.
> > >
> > > So I’m proposing to create a demo flavor that includes a maximum number
> > of high-quality extensions that we have in xwiki-contrib:
> > >
> > > To start with:
> > > - Blog
> > > - File Manager
> > > - Meeting Manager
> > > - Forum
> > > - Task Manager
> > > - Idea
> > > - Diagram
> > >
> > > In addition, in term of layout I’m proposing:
> > > * Navigation panel on the left
> > > * App bar on the right
> > > * A demo text on the home page and beneath the activity stream (one
> > under another so that clicking edit makes it easy to update the page)
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

+1 for the Demo Flavor - it's a good chance to demonstrate XWiki's
capabilities and highlight nice applications.

In terms of layout we can switch the AppBar with the Navigation :) like
Guillaume mentioned.

Regarding Applications:
- there are other nice applications on e.x.o, one example is
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/MoccaCalendar
- some ideas for the future:
-- we should use more the ratings system on e.x.o and add in this Demo
Flavor the top extensions according to the ratings given by users
-- or we could cycle the apps listed in the Demo Flavor and have 5-10 apps
in a 6 months/year period, while switching them to highlight other apps.
This way extension creators could be featured in the Demo Flavor.
-- when we will have more Flavors listed by the community, the Demo Flavor
could highlight a particular Flavor submitted by the community, featuring a
particular use case: development, gaming KB, etc. :) this way we can demo
the vast extensibility of XWiki :) sounds exciting :) but for now the
proposed list is just fine.

Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking at http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications and I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)

> - some ideas for the future:
> -- we should use more the ratings system on e.x.o and add in this Demo
> Flavor the top extensions according to the ratings given by users

Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are representative.

> -- or we could cycle the apps listed in the Demo Flavor and have 5-10 apps
> in a 6 months/year period, while switching them to highlight other apps.
> This way extension creators could be featured in the Demo Flavor.
> -- when we will have more Flavors listed by the community, the Demo Flavor
> could highlight a particular Flavor submitted by the community, featuring a
> particular use case: development, gaming KB, etc. :) this way we can demo
> the vast extensibility of XWiki :) sounds exciting :) but for now the
> proposed list is just fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>

> > On 21 Jan 2016 at 13:10:41, Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email]
> > (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > +1, I'm just not fan of having the app bar in the right column.
> > >
> > > Note: in the future, this flavor should integrate a tour (
> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)
> > > demonstrate the power of XWiki. I'm working on this application
> > currently.
> >
> > Yes I agree. However I also think that this tour should be in the base
> > flavor and that it should be extensible so that flavors could contribute
> > additional tour items.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -vincent
> >
> > > Thanks,

> > (mailto:

> > runtime
> > users
> > happen

> > number

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

big +1 with the idea!

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2016 at 14:47:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > +1 for the Demo Flavor - it's a good chance to demonstrate XWiki's
> > capabilities and highlight nice applications.
> >
> > In terms of layout we can switch the AppBar with the Navigation :) like
> > Guillaume mentioned.

I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all content
websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You have
the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next to
it.

So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be counter-intuitive
for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.

> Regarding Applications:
> > - there are other nice applications on e.x.o, one example is
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/MoccaCalendar

Yep, that one is good too! Not so sure about the Diagram app however, I
haven't used it nor seen it used recently.

Thanks,

Guillaume

> Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking at
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications and
> I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)
>
> > - some ideas for the future:
> > -- we should use more the ratings system on e.x.o and add in this Demo
> > Flavor the top extensions according to the ratings given by users
>
> Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are representative.

> > -- or we could cycle the apps listed in the Demo Flavor and have 5-10
> apps
> > in a 6 months/year period, while switching them to highlight other apps.
> > This way extension creators could be featured in the Demo Flavor.
> > -- when we will have more Flavors listed by the community, the Demo
> Flavor
> > could highlight a particular Flavor submitted by the community,
> featuring a
> > particular use case: development, gaming KB, etc. :) this way we can demo
> > the vast extensibility of XWiki :) sounds exciting :) but for now the
> > proposed list is just fine.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM, [hidden email]
> > wrote:

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)
> > > currently.
> > >
> > > Yes I agree. However I also think that this tour should be in the base
> > > flavor and that it should be extensible so that flavors could
> contribute
> > > additional tour items.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -vincent

> > > (mailto:

> flavor

> > > runtime
> > > users
> the DW
> expect the
> > > happen

> > > number

> (one
> page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>

> big +1 with the idea!
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On 21 Jan 2016 at 14:47:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> > (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > +1 for the Demo Flavor - it's a good chance to demonstrate XWiki's
> > > capabilities and highlight nice applications.
> > >
> > > In terms of layout we can switch the AppBar with the Navigation :) like
> > > Guillaume mentioned.
> >

> I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all content
> websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You have
> the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next to
> it.
>
> So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be counter-intuitive
> for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.
>
> > Regarding Applications:
> > > - there are other nice applications on e.x.o, one example is
> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/MoccaCalendar
>

> Yep, that one is good too! Not so sure about the Diagram app however, I
> haven't used it nor seen it used recently.

I'm not sure about the Diagram application either because there are a few
issues reported and I stopped maintaining it since draw.io has changed its
Open Source license. I would still like to integrate an Open Source
drawing/diagramming library in XWiki, but I lack the time to do it..

+1 for the Demo flavor.

> Guillaume
>

> > Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking at
> >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications
> and
> > I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)
> >
> > > - some ideas for the future:
> > > -- we should use more the ratings system on e.x.o and add in this Demo
> > > Flavor the top extensions according to the ratings given by users
> >
> > Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are
> representative.

> > > -- or we could cycle the apps listed in the Demo Flavor and have 5-10
> > apps
> > > in a 6 months/year period, while switching them to highlight other
> apps.
> > > This way extension creators could be featured in the Demo Flavor.
> > > -- when we will have more Flavors listed by the community, the Demo
> > Flavor
> > > could highlight a particular Flavor submitted by the community,
> > featuring a
> > > particular use case: development, gaming KB, etc. :) this way we can
> demo
> > > the vast extensibility of XWiki :) sounds exciting :) but for now the
> > > proposed list is just fine.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> [hidden email]

> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)

> base
> > contribute

> real

> [hidden email]

> > flavor

> generic
> for
> > the DW
> > expect the
> won’t

> maximum

> > (one
> > page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

Hi Guillaume/Caty,

On 21 Jan 2016 at 15:48:49, Guillaume Lerouge ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> big +1 with the idea!
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>

> > On 21 Jan 2016 at 14:47:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> > (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > +1 for the Demo Flavor - it's a good chance to demonstrate XWiki's
> > > capabilities and highlight nice applications.
> > >
> > > In terms of layout we can switch the AppBar with the Navigation :) like
> > > Guillaume mentioned.
> >

> I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all content
> websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You have
> the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next to
> it.
>
> So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be counter-intuitive
> for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.

There’s an issue with this. If you navigate to the Blog app or the File Manager app (for example), you see the app bar displayed on the left :)

> > Regarding Applications:
> > > - there are other nice applications on e.x.o, one example is
> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/MoccaCalendar
>

> Yep, that one is good too! Not so sure about the Diagram app however, I
> haven't used it nor seen it used recently.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume
>

> > Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking at
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications and
> > I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)
> >
> > > - some ideas for the future:
> > > -- we should use more the ratings system on e.x.o and add in this Demo
> > > Flavor the top extensions according to the ratings given by users
> >
> > Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are representative.

> > > -- or we could cycle the apps listed in the Demo Flavor and have 5-10
> > apps
> > > in a 6 months/year period, while switching them to highlight other apps.
> > > This way extension creators could be featured in the Demo Flavor.
> > > -- when we will have more Flavors listed by the community, the Demo
> > Flavor
> > > could highlight a particular Flavor submitted by the community,
> > featuring a
> > > particular use case: development, gaming KB, etc. :) this way we can demo
> > > the vast extensibility of XWiki :) sounds exciting :) but for now the
> > > proposed list is just fine.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)

> > contribute

> > flavor

> > the DW
> > expect the

> > (one
> > page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Guillaume/Caty,
>

> On 21 Jan 2016 at 15:48:49, Guillaume Lerouge ([hidden email](mailto:
> [hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > big +1 with the idea!
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >

> > > On 21 Jan 2016 at 14:47:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) (
> [hidden email]

> like
> > >

> > I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all
> content
> > websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You
> have
> > the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next
> > it.
> >
> > So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be
> counter-intuitive
> > for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.
>
> There’s an issue with this. If you navigate to the Blog app or the File
> Manager app (for example), you see the app bar displayed on the left :)

We could put the app bar on the right and the specific panels on the left
for both those apps.

Guillaume

> > > Regarding Applications:
> >

> > Yep, that one is good too! Not so sure about the Diagram app however, I
> > haven't used it nor seen it used recently.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guillaume
> >

> > > Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking
> at
> > >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications
> and
> > > I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)

> Demo
> > >
> > > Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are
> representative.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > > apps
> apps.
> > > Flavor
> > > featuring a
> demo

> [hidden email]

> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)

> base
> > > contribute

> means

> real

> [hidden email]

> > > flavor

> generic
> for
> > > the DW
> > > expect the
> won’t

> maximum

> stream
> > > (one
> > > page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

wrote:

> Hi Guillaume/Caty,
>

> On 21 Jan 2016 at 15:48:49, Guillaume Lerouge ([hidden email](mailto:
> [hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > big +1 with the idea!
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >

> > > On 21 Jan 2016 at 14:47:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) (
> [hidden email]

> like
> > >

> > I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all
> content
> > websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You
> have
> > the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next
> > it.
> >
> > So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be
> counter-intuitive
> > for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.
>
> There’s an issue with this. If you navigate to the Blog app or the File
> Manager app (for example), you see the app bar displayed on the left :)

We could put the app bar on the right and the specific panels on the left
for both those apps.

That wouldn’t work. We’d first need to decide to have the app bar on the right for all spaces, not just for those apps.

Right now the best would for Extensions to not define panel position in their WebPreferences and instead to display a dashboard on their home page.

In the future, we should fine a way for Extensions to say that they’re contributing Panels without saying where they should be displayed and then have the Global Admin of the wiki display an Admin UI that decides where to display panels contributed by Extensions with a default.

Guillaume

> > > Regarding Applications:
> >

> > Yep, that one is good too! Not so sure about the Diagram app however, I
> > haven't used it nor seen it used recently.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guillaume
> >

> > > Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking
> at
> > >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications
> and
> > > I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)

> Demo
> > >
> > > Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are
> representative.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > > apps
> apps.
> > > Flavor
> > > featuring a
> demo

> [hidden email]

> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)

> base
> > > contribute

> means

> real

> [hidden email]

> > > flavor

> generic
> for
> > > the DW
> > > expect the
> won’t

> maximum

> stream
> > > (one
> > > page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Guillaume/Caty,
>

> On 21 Jan 2016 at 15:48:49, Guillaume Lerouge ([hidden email](mailto:
> [hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > big +1 with the idea!
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM, [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >

> > > On 21 Jan 2016 at 14:47:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) (
> [hidden email]

> like
> > >

> > I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all
> content
> > websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You
> have
> > the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next
> > it.
> >
> > So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be
> counter-intuitive
> > for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.
>
> There’s an issue with this. If you navigate to the Blog app or the File
> Manager app (for example), you see the app bar displayed on the left :)

I don't know why the Appbar would be displayed since the WebPreferences for
Blog or File Manager is not calling it. Blog has indeed custom right panels
defined and that's normal. This is the case for other applications too,
like Forum, Meetings, etc.

In a Groupware Flavor the pattern is that the Appbar is on the left. We
added custom panels for some apps.

Now the problem comes from the fact that you want the Demo flavor to
combine KnowledgeBase and Groupware Flavors. It's hard to put in the same
location both navigation tree and appbar. I think we need to decide what is
the main case.

> > > Regarding Applications:
> >

> > Yep, that one is good too! Not so sure about the Diagram app however, I
> > haven't used it nor seen it used recently.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guillaume
> >

> > > Indeed I missed this one. I agree we should include it. I was looking
> at
> > >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications
> and
> > > I just missed it for some reason, wasn’t voluntary :)

> Demo
> > >
> > > Sure, when we think that we have enough votes and they are
> representative.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > > apps
> apps.
> > > Flavor
> > > featuring a
> demo

> [hidden email]

> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application)

> base
> > > contribute

> means

> real

> [hidden email]

> > > flavor

> generic
> for
> > > the DW
> > > expect the
> won’t

> maximum

> stream
> > > (one
> > > page)

Re: [Contrib] Demo flavor

On 11 Feb 2016 at 16:07:39, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guillaume/Caty,
> >

> > On 21 Jan 2016 at 15:48:49, Guillaume Lerouge ([hidden email](mailto:
> > [hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > big +1 with the idea!

> > [hidden email]

> > like
> > > >

> > > I think having the navigation on the left is better. On almost all
> > content
> > > websites I know about, treeview navigation is located on the left. You
> > have
> > > the current page highlighted, and the content of the page itself is next
> > > it.
> > >
> > > So I feel that having the tree view on the right would be
> > counter-intuitive
> > > for most users, whereas the app bar is less context-sensitive.
> >
> > There’s an issue with this. If you navigate to the Blog app or the File
> > Manager app (for example), you see the app bar displayed on the left :)
> >

> I don't know why the Appbar would be displayed since the WebPreferences for
> Blog or File Manager is not calling it. Blog has indeed custom right panels
> defined and that's normal. This is the case for other applications too,
> like Forum, Meetings, etc.

Indeed, I think I mixed it up. It’s the App bar that disappears (if it’s in the right panels) since those apps overwrite the right panels. Meaning that we’re loosing the way to navigate to the apps.

> In a Groupware Flavor the pattern is that the Appbar is on the left. We
> added custom panels for some apps.
>
> Now the problem comes from the fact that you want the Demo flavor to
> combine KnowledgeBase and Groupware Flavors.

Hmm I’ve never said that, have I? :)

Actually I’ve said the opposite: I’ve mentioned that the demo flavor should include a sizeable list of good extensions to showcase XWiki. So I’d prefer to have the app bar on the left for this use case actually.

More precisely I think we should have the app bar at the same location as we have in the default flavor. Right now that’s on the left.

Also I’m not sure if we need a nav panel since nav is supposed to be always available from the breadcrumb from everywhere. We do need a Tour to explain this though.

But right now I’d like to release a first basic version of the demo flavor and have it installed on playground.xwiki.org.