[Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

[Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Anca Luca
Hello XWiki devs,

slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one wiki
(based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to exclude
some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
present.
It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled with
a scheduler job.

We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors work
on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if validated,
get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic feature
of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based on
a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the code
of the application itself.

We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
repo for it?

However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
nothing to do.

So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
create the repo.

Thanks,
Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

I agree with you that "publication application" would be too much of a
conflict with the other application.

What about "Advanced Copy Application" or even just "Copy Application"
? I find it not so bad regarding what it does even if it does a bit
more than just copy (but any application that worth its own name and
repository would do a little more than just copy I guess).

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello XWiki devs,
>
> slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one wiki
> (based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to exclude
> some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
> present.
> It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled with
> a scheduler job.
>
> We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors work
> on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if validated,
> get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
> based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic feature
> of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based on
> a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the code
> of the application itself.
>
> We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
> repo for it?
>
> However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
> far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
> because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
> nothing to do.
>
> So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
> work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
> create the repo.
>
> Thanks,
> Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Hi Anca/Stephane,

> On 20 Aug 2018, at 16:39, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello XWiki devs,
>
> slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one wiki
> (based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to exclude
> some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
> present.
> It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled with
> a scheduler job.

If I had to implement this, I would code it using the Filter Stream Application framework (see https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20Module and especially https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20XWiki%20Instance%20module#HExtendit) as an input filter (since the output filter to copy to a different wiki already exists).

Is that how you did it?

> We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors work
> on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if validated,
> get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
> based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic feature
> of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based on
> a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the code
> of the application itself.
>
> We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
> repo for it?
>
> However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
> far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
> because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
> nothing to do.

I agree it’s misleading and not a good name ;)

> So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
> work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
> create the repo.

Is the code in Java or is it done as wiki pages?

Some suggestions:

If in Java:

* api-wikicopier
* api-wikicopy

If in wiki pages:

* application-wikicopier
* application-wikicopy

If coded as filterstream input:

* filter-instance-hql
* filter-instance-hql-input

> Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Adel Atallah
Hello,

Are the documents "re-published" when updated? Maybe you could name
the application "Synchronization Application" or something similar if
this is the case.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anca/Stephane,
>
>> On 20 Aug 2018, at 16:39, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello XWiki devs,
>>
>> slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one wiki
>> (based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to exclude
>> some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
>> present.
>> It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled with
>> a scheduler job.
>
> If I had to implement this, I would code it using the Filter Stream Application framework (see https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20Module and especially https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20XWiki%20Instance%20module#HExtendit) as an input filter (since the output filter to copy to a different wiki already exists).
>
> Is that how you did it?
>
>> We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors work
>> on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if validated,
>> get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
>> based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic feature
>> of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based on
>> a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the code
>> of the application itself.
>>
>> We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
>> repo for it?
>>
>> However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
>> far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
>> because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
>> nothing to do.
>
> I agree it’s misleading and not a good name ;)
>

>> So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
>> work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
>> create the repo.
>
> Is the code in Java or is it done as wiki pages?
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> If in Java:
>
> * api-wikicopier
> * api-wikicopy
>
> If in wiki pages:
>
> * application-wikicopier
> * application-wikicopy
>
> If coded as filterstream input:
>
> * filter-instance-hql
> * filter-instance-hql-input

>> Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Note: In my answer below I assumed that the contrib extension was generic and not related to the publication use case, and that anything specific to that use case was done elsewhere.

Thus I may be wrong if this assumption is not correct.

> On 20 Aug 2018, at 16:48, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Anca/Stephane,
>
>> On 20 Aug 2018, at 16:39, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello XWiki devs,
>>
>> slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one wiki
>> (based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to exclude
>> some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
>> present.
>> It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled with
>> a scheduler job.
>
> If I had to implement this, I would code it using the Filter Stream Application framework (see https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20Module and especially https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20XWiki%20Instance%20module#HExtendit) as an input filter (since the output filter to copy to a different wiki already exists).
>
> Is that how you did it?
>
>> We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors work
>> on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if validated,
>> get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
>> based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic feature
>> of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based on
>> a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the code
>> of the application itself.
>>
>> We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
>> repo for it?
>>
>> However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
>> far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
>> because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
>> nothing to do.
>
> I agree it’s misleading and not a good name ;)
>

>> So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
>> work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
>> create the repo.
>
> Is the code in Java or is it done as wiki pages?
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> If in Java:
>
> * api-wikicopier
> * api-wikicopy
>
> If in wiki pages:
>
> * application-wikicopier
> * application-wikicopy
>
> If coded as filterstream input:
>
> * filter-instance-hql
> * filter-instance-hql-input

>> Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

caubin
Hi Anca and Stéphane, hi all,

Thanks for sharing that piece of code ; this opens a ton of possiblities
and use cases for other XWiki extensions working between wikis!

Regarding the naming of the application itself, application-wikicopy
looks nice as it shows a bit what the application does, you could also
consider application-xcopy as you are kind of eXtending the copy
function of the wiki (also it looks a bit sexier than wikicopy IMO :) ).

Thanks,
Clément

On 08/20/2018 04:39 PM, Anca Luca wrote:

> Hello XWiki devs,
>
> slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one wiki
> (based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to exclude
> some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
> present.
> It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled with
> a scheduler job.
>
> We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors work
> on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if validated,
> get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
> based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic feature
> of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based on
> a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the code
> of the application itself.
>
> We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
> repo for it?
>
> However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
> far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
> because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
> nothing to do.
>
> So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
> work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
> create the repo.
>
> Thanks,
> Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
For me it would be "Multipage Copy Application", application-multipagecopy,
similar to what we have for the Multipage Export Application.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anca and Stéphane, hi all,
>
> Thanks for sharing that piece of code ; this opens a ton of possiblities
> and use cases for other XWiki extensions working between wikis!
>
> Regarding the naming of the application itself, application-wikicopy
> looks nice as it shows a bit what the application does, you could also
> consider application-xcopy as you are kind of eXtending the copy
> function of the wiki (also it looks a bit sexier than wikicopy IMO :) ).
>
> Thanks,
> Clément
>
> On 08/20/2018 04:39 PM, Anca Luca wrote:
> > Hello XWiki devs,
> >
> > slauriere and I have worked on an extension that copies pages from one
> wiki
> > (based on a HQL query selecting them) to another wiki, allowing to
> exclude
> > some class properties from objects in those pages, if the objects are
> > present.
> > It's coded as an async job, it can be manually triggered or scheduled
> with
> > a scheduler job.
> >
> > We used it to implement some publication scenario, where contributors
> work
> > on a set of documents on a subwiki and then these documents, if
> validated,
> > get copied (published) to another subwiki periodically. The validation is
> > based on the custom structure of those documents, using the generic
> feature
> > of this extension that allows to select documents to be published based
> on
> > a query. Otherwise there's nothing else related to publication in the
> code
> > of the application itself.
> >
> > We'd like to publish this application on contrib, so can we please have a
> > repo for it?
> >
> > However, we have some trouble choosing its name. The name that we used so
> > far is "publication application" but we think it might be misleading esp.
> > because of the similarity with publication workflow with which it has
> > nothing to do.
> >
> > So, if you have an idea for a name that would correctly illustrate this
> > work (and its future enhancements), please help us choose its name and
> > create the repo.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Anca Luca
Hello all,

I guess we'd be going for application-xcopy .
Can you please create the repo? (for now, I think only repo is needed, not
yet jira)
Thanks a lot!

@Vincent: it's not coded with filter stream, is plain XWiki Document API,
coded as an async job (which can be launched from a regular script).

Thanks,
Anca

On 08/27/2018 04:40 PM, Anca Luca wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I guess we'd be going for application-xcopy .
> Can you please create the repo? (for now, I think only repo is needed, not
> yet jira)
> Thanks a lot!

Here it is : https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-xcopy

Thanks,
Clément

> @Vincent: it's not coded with filter stream, is plain XWiki Document API,
> coded as an async job (which can be launched from a regular script).
>
> Thanks,
> Anca
>

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> For me it would be "Multipage Copy Application", application-multipagecopy,
>> similar to what we have for the Multipage Export Application.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Anca and Stéphane, hi all,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing that piece of code ; this opens a ton of possiblities
>>> and use cases for other XWiki extensions working between wikis!
>>>
>>> Regarding the naming of the application itself, application-wikicopy
>>> looks nice as it shows a bit what the application does, you could also
>>> consider application-xcopy as you are kind of eXtending the copy
>>> function of the wiki (also it looks a bit sexier than wikicopy IMO :) ).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Clément

>>> wiki
>>> exclude
>>> with

>>> work
>>> validated,
>> is
>>> feature
>>> on
>>> code

>> have a

>> so
>> esp.

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Hi Anca,

> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:40, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I guess we'd be going for application-xcopy .
> Can you please create the repo? (for now, I think only repo is needed, not
> yet jira)
> Thanks a lot!

I’ll create it (with the jira since we create both at the same time so that anyone can report issues/requests/etc).

> @Vincent: it's not coded with filter stream, is plain XWiki Document API,
> coded as an async job (which can be launched from a regular script).

Ok too bad :) A filter stream filters opens up lots of interesting use cases.

> Anca
>

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> For me it would be "Multipage Copy Application", application-multipagecopy,
>> similar to what we have for the Multipage Export Application.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Anca and Stéphane, hi all,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing that piece of code ; this opens a ton of possiblities
>>> and use cases for other XWiki extensions working between wikis!
>>>
>>> Regarding the naming of the application itself, application-wikicopy
>>> looks nice as it shows a bit what the application does, you could also
>>> consider application-xcopy as you are kind of eXtending the copy
>>> function of the wiki (also it looks a bit sexier than wikicopy IMO :) ).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Clément

>>> wiki
>>> exclude
>>> with

>>> work
>>> validated,
>> is
>>> feature
>>> on
>>> code

>> have a

>> so
>> esp.

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

Hi Clement,

> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:44, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 08/27/2018 04:40 PM, Anca Luca wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I guess we'd be going for application-xcopy .
>> Can you please create the repo? (for now, I think only repo is needed, not
>> yet jira)
>> Thanks a lot!
>
> Here it is : https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-xcopy

Thanks. However you need to follow:
http://contrib.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome#HForXWikiAdmins

I’ll let you fix it.

I’ll create the jira project.

> Clément
>
>> @Vincent: it's not coded with filter stream, is plain XWiki Document API,
>> coded as an async job (which can be launched from a regular script).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anca
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For me it would be "Multipage Copy Application", application-multipagecopy,
>>> similar to what we have for the Multipage Export Application.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caty

>>> is

>>> have a

>>> so
>>> esp.

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:45, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Anca,
>
>> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:40, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I guess we'd be going for application-xcopy .
>> Can you please create the repo? (for now, I think only repo is needed, not
>> yet jira)
>> Thanks a lot!
>
> I’ll create it (with the jira since we create both at the same time so that anyone can report issues/requests/etc).

Done:
https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCOPY/summary

On 08/27/2018 04:48 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

>> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:45, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Anca,
>>
>>> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:40, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I guess we'd be going for application-xcopy .
>>> Can you please create the repo? (for now, I think only repo is needed, not
>>> yet jira)
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> I’ll create it (with the jira since we create both at the same time so that anyone can report issues/requests/etc).
>
> Done:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCOPY/summary

@Vincent, I don't think that the JIRA is actually needed ; see the last
response from Anca above :)

Thanks,
Clément

>>> @Vincent: it's not coded with filter stream, is plain XWiki Document API,
>>> coded as an async job (which can be launched from a regular script).
>>
>> Ok too bad :) A filter stream filters opens up lots of interesting use cases.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Anca

Re: [Contrib] New application for copying pages from one wiki to another (name suggestions welcome)

> On 27 Aug 2018, at 17:08, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 08/27/2018 04:48 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>

>>> On 27 Aug 2018, at 16:45, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Anca,

>>> I’ll create it (with the jira since we create both at the same time so that anyone can report issues/requests/etc).
>>
>> Done:
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCOPY/summary
>
> @Vincent, I don't think that the JIRA is actually needed ; see the last
> response from Anca above :)

Yes I know, see my answer in the previous emails :)

However, we always create a JIRA and it’s always needed for at least 2 reasons;
1) all contrib project must follow the dev.xwiki.org rules and this mandates a JIRA project with commits referencing a jira, doing releases, etc
2) users need a place to report bugs, improvements, new features, etc. Otherwise it’s not a collaborative project and shouldn’t be put in xwiki-contrib ;)