[Contrib] New extension request

caubin
Hi devs!

I would like to propose a new extension called
application-extramacrocontent.

Currently, macros can only provide one content field, that generally
contains the main body of the macro. Parameters are used to pass
additional information to the macro but are not the best to put large
text in them.

With this application, it would be possible to add multiple content
fields inside the macro, therefore adding new possibilities to macro
creation and leveraging the problem of passing multiple big inputs to
the wiki macros.

I'm not really sure about the name of the extension itself, so if you
have any better idea, please let me know :)

Thanks,
Clément

Re: [Contrib] New extension request

caubin
Just created the repository and the JIRA project for the application,
you can find them here:

* https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-extramacrocontent
* https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XMC/summary

Thanks,
Clément

On 06/24/2018 05:36 PM, Clément Aubin wrote:

> Hi devs!
>
> I would like to propose a new extension called
> application-extramacrocontent.
>
> Currently, macros can only provide one content field, that generally
> contains the main body of the macro. Parameters are used to pass
> additional information to the macro but are not the best to put large
> text in them.
>
> With this application, it would be possible to add multiple content
> fields inside the macro, therefore adding new possibilities to macro
> creation and leveraging the problem of passing multiple big inputs to
> the wiki macros.
>
> I'm not really sure about the name of the extension itself, so if you
> have any better idea, please let me know :)
>
> Thanks,
> Clément

Re: [Contrib] New extension request

> On 24 Jun 2018, at 17:47, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just created the repository and the JIRA project for the application,
> you can find them here:
>
> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-extramacrocontent

Note: The README seems a copy paste of the Gardening one that you have forgotten to update.

> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XMC/summary
>
> Thanks,
> Clément
>
> On 06/24/2018 05:36 PM, Clément Aubin wrote:
>> Hi devs!
>>
>> I would like to propose a new extension called
>> application-extramacrocontent.
>>
>> Currently, macros can only provide one content field, that generally
>> contains the main body of the macro. Parameters are used to pass
>> additional information to the macro but are not the best to put large
>> text in them.
>>
>> With this application, it would be possible to add multiple content
>> fields inside the macro, therefore adding new possibilities to macro
>> creation and leveraging the problem of passing multiple big inputs to
>> the wiki macros.
>>
>> I'm not really sure about the name of the extension itself, so if you
>> have any better idea, please let me know :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Clément

Re: [Contrib] New extension request

Hi Clement,

I’ve read the description and still couldn’t understand the need :) Macros only need one content, i.e. their execute() method. If a macro needs to store additional data, then it just can, in any XObject of an XClass (for example). Or it can pass references to content as we do with the include/display macros.

Maybe a real example of what pushed you to create this extension could be nice to understand your need?

On 06/25/2018 09:37 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Clement,
>
> I’ve read the description and still couldn’t understand the need :) Macros only need one content, i.e. their execute() method. If a macro needs to store additional data, then it just can, in any XObject of an XClass (for example). Or it can pass references to content as we do with the include/display macros.
>
> Maybe a real example of what pushed you to create this extension could be nice to understand your need?

I hope to release it pretty quickly (to use it in another project), I'll
make sure to have a correct example in it at this time.