[Contrib] Request for new extension "application-gardening"

[Contrib] Request for new extension "application-gardening"

caubin
Hi everyone,

I would like to propose a new contrib application that would provide a
set of tools to an administrator in order to help him manage old wiki
documents, by either moving them to a custom "Archive" space, or to a
clone wiki serving as an archive.

The idea would be to only target documents that need to be archived
using a set of rules defined by an administrator.

WDYT about this idea ?

Thanks,
Clément

Re: [Contrib] Request for new extension "application-gardening"

Hi Clement,

> On 23 Mar 2018, at 14:18, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to propose a new contrib application that would provide a
> set of tools to an administrator in order to help him manage old wiki
> documents, by either moving them to a custom "Archive" space, or to a
> clone wiki serving as an archive.
>
> The idea would be to only target documents that need to be archived
> using a set of rules defined by an administrator.
>
> WDYT about this idea ?

Sure. Sounds good :)

Impl note:

* Using the filter stream app, you’ll find existing input filter (current wiki) and existing output filter (remote xwiki) to easily copy pages from one wiki to another. See:
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20Module
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20XWiki%20Instance%20module
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20Script%20API
* There’s also XAR output filter to archive as a XAR: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter%20XAR%20module
* You could imagine implementing a new output filter that would copy to a space in the same wiki so that your architecture can be fully based on the filter stream module.

<future general ideas>
At some point, I think we’ll need to find some way to mark “admin” extensions on e.x.o (probably by implementing the extension categorization that we talked about) for discoverability. It would also appear in EM. We could even imagine a dedicated Admin menu entry on the Admin UI screen to make it simpler for users to find/install/use admin tools in their wikis).
</future general  ideas>