Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

Antoine Berthelin
Hello,

I have a question about "create a new wiki" feature on xwiki, regarding the
code and after test, this feature create a schema.
In Oracle, to create a schema, you have to create user.
The problem is : "Oracle administrator don't allow xwiki user to create
user/schema" in oracle database ...
File :
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline
308

Hope it's a lack of understanding on my side ?
What do you think, do you have a workaround ?

Thanks for your help

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

jerem
Hello,

This is normal, see here [1]

New wiki creates a new schema.

BR,
Jeremie

[1] - http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about "create a new wiki" feature on xwiki, regarding the
> code and after test, this feature create a schema.
> In Oracle, to create a schema, you have to create user.
> The problem is : "Oracle administrator don't allow xwiki user to create
> user/schema" in oracle database ...
> File :
>
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline
> 308
>
> Hope it's a lack of understanding on my side ?
> What do you think, do you have a workaround ?
>
> Thanks for your help

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

Antoine Berthelin
Hello,

Thanks for your response.
Yes, I understand xwiki has to use a new schema for sub wiki for
scalability raison etc ...

But, in production environnement in a real (big) company, Oracle DBA
disallow autorisation on create user / schema operation for xwiki user
(only DBA administrator can do this operation)

Oracle DBA has to create user/schema by themself (database configuration
with "corporate option" backup rule etc ...)

A workaround could be :
- Target subwiki user/schema is provisioning by Oracle administrator (and
not xwiki application)
- Xwiki continue to update shema

So, if I comment the XWikiHibernateStore.createWiki function and previously
provisioning a schema with target subxwiki name, it should work, isn't it ?

Do you know if this option is available using file configuration ?

Best,

Antoine

> Hello,
>
> This is normal, see here [1]
>
> New wiki creates a new schema.
>
> BR,
> Jeremie
>
> [1] - http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization

> >:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question about "create a new wiki" feature on xwiki, regarding
> the
> > code and after test, this feature create a schema.
> > In Oracle, to create a schema, you have to create user.
> > The problem is : "Oracle administrator don't allow xwiki user to create
> > user/schema" in oracle database ...
> > File :
> >

> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline
> > 308
> >
> > Hope it's a lack of understanding on my side ?
> > What do you think, do you have a workaround ?
> >
> > Thanks for your help

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

Old wiki manager UI used to propose you to force wiki creation when
the DB/schema already existed but this feature seems to not be
available anymore in the new UI. But as far as I can see this is
supported by the wiki manager script API so one solution might be to
either customize WikiManager.CreateWiki to allow it (it's mostly about
passing false as last createWiki() method parameter and remove
whatever javascript check forbid creating a wiki on existing database)
or bypass the standard wiki creation UI and use a custom script which
uses "wiki" script service (see
http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/repositories/releases/archive/org/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-wiki-script/6.3/xwiki-platform-wiki-script-6.3-javadoc.jar/!/org/xwiki/wiki/script/WikiManagerScriptService.html).

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Antoine Berthelin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your response.
> Yes, I understand xwiki has to use a new schema for sub wiki for
> scalability raison etc ...
>
> But, in production environnement in a real (big) company, Oracle DBA
> disallow autorisation on create user / schema operation for xwiki user
> (only DBA administrator can do this operation)
>
> Oracle DBA has to create user/schema by themself (database configuration
> with "corporate option" backup rule etc ...)
>
> A workaround could be :
> - Target subwiki user/schema is provisioning by Oracle administrator (and
> not xwiki application)
> - Xwiki continue to update shema
>
> So, if I comment the XWikiHibernateStore.createWiki function and previously
> provisioning a schema with target subxwiki name, it should work, isn't it ?
>
> Do you know if this option is available using file configuration ?
>
> Best,
>
> Antoine

>> Hello,
>>
>> This is normal, see here [1]
>>
>> New wiki creates a new schema.
>>
>> BR,
>> Jeremie
>>
>> [1] - http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization

>> >:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have a question about "create a new wiki" feature on xwiki, regarding
>> the
>> > code and after test, this feature create a schema.
>> > In Oracle, to create a schema, you have to create user.
>> > The problem is : "Oracle administrator don't allow xwiki user to create
>> > user/schema" in oracle database ...
>> > File :
>> >

>> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline
>> > 308
>> >
>> > Hope it's a lack of understanding on my side ?
>> > What do you think, do you have a workaround ?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

Antoine Berthelin
Thanks Thomas,

Good idea to use WikiManagerScriptService, I test it, but this service
use the same method as UI with database creation, same method == same
result :)

So, I am writing a patch in Xwiki, I will improve my code and propose a
push request in  order to add an option on database creation (by xwiki or
not).

Thanks for your help.

Antoine

> Old wiki manager UI used to propose you to force wiki creation when
> the DB/schema already existed but this feature seems to not be
> available anymore in the new UI. But as far as I can see this is
> supported by the wiki manager script API so one solution might be to
> either customize WikiManager.CreateWiki to allow it (it's mostly about
> passing false as last createWiki() method parameter and remove
> whatever javascript check forbid creating a wiki on existing database)
> or bypass the standard wiki creation UI and use a custom script which
> uses "wiki" script service (see
>
> http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/repositories/releases/archive/org/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-wiki-script/6.3/xwiki-platform-wiki-script-6.3-javadoc.jar/!/org/xwiki/wiki/script/WikiManagerScriptService.html
> ).
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Antoine Berthelin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> > Yes, I understand xwiki has to use a new schema for sub wiki for
> > scalability raison etc ...
> >
> > But, in production environnement in a real (big) company, Oracle DBA
> > disallow autorisation on create user / schema operation for xwiki user
> > (only DBA administrator can do this operation)
> >
> > Oracle DBA has to create user/schema by themself (database configuration
> > with "corporate option" backup rule etc ...)
> >
> > A workaround could be :
> > - Target subwiki user/schema is provisioning by Oracle administrator (and
> > not xwiki application)
> > - Xwiki continue to update shema
> >
> > So, if I comment the XWikiHibernateStore.createWiki function and
> previously
> > provisioning a schema with target subxwiki name, it should work, isn't
> it ?
> >
> > Do you know if this option is available using file configuration ?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Antoine

> >:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This is normal, see here [1]
> >>
> >> New wiki creates a new schema.
> >>
> >> BR,
> >> Jeremie
> >>
> >> [1] -
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization

> regarding
> >> the
> create
> >> >

> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Antoine Berthelin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Thomas,
>
> Good idea to use WikiManagerScriptService, I test it, but this service
> use the same method as UI with database creation, same method == same
> result :)

As I explained in my first mail you have a parameter which indicate if
createWiki should fail if the database already exist and the standard
UI always set it to true. Did you tried with false (that's how is was
working in old wikimanager UI) ?

> So, I am writing a patch in Xwiki, I will improve my code and propose a
> push request in  order to add an option on database creation (by xwiki or
> not).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Antoine

>> Old wiki manager UI used to propose you to force wiki creation when
>> the DB/schema already existed but this feature seems to not be
>> available anymore in the new UI. But as far as I can see this is
>> supported by the wiki manager script API so one solution might be to
>> either customize WikiManager.CreateWiki to allow it (it's mostly about
>> passing false as last createWiki() method parameter and remove
>> whatever javascript check forbid creating a wiki on existing database)
>> or bypass the standard wiki creation UI and use a custom script which
>> uses "wiki" script service (see
>>
>> http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/repositories/releases/archive/org/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-wiki-script/6.3/xwiki-platform-wiki-script-6.3-javadoc.jar/!/org/xwiki/wiki/script/WikiManagerScriptService.html
>> ).
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Antoine Berthelin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your response.
>> > Yes, I understand xwiki has to use a new schema for sub wiki for
>> > scalability raison etc ...
>> >
>> > But, in production environnement in a real (big) company, Oracle DBA
>> > disallow autorisation on create user / schema operation for xwiki user
>> > (only DBA administrator can do this operation)
>> >
>> > Oracle DBA has to create user/schema by themself (database configuration
>> > with "corporate option" backup rule etc ...)
>> >
>> > A workaround could be :
>> > - Target subwiki user/schema is provisioning by Oracle administrator (and
>> > not xwiki application)
>> > - Xwiki continue to update shema
>> >
>> > So, if I comment the XWikiHibernateStore.createWiki function and
>> previously
>> > provisioning a schema with target subxwiki name, it should work, isn't
>> it ?
>> >
>> > Do you know if this option is available using file configuration ?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> >
>> > Antoine

>> >:

>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization

>> regarding
>> create
>> >> >

>> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

Antoine Berthelin
Hello Thomas,

Yes, I set failOnExist parameter to false, xwiki don't check it.
However, just after, he try to create user and schema.
=> Throw JDBC exception

Antoine

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Antoine Berthelin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks Thomas,
> >
> > Good idea to use WikiManagerScriptService, I test it, but this service
> > use the same method as UI with database creation, same method == same
> > result :)
>
> As I explained in my first mail you have a parameter which indicate if
> createWiki should fail if the database already exist and the standard
> UI always set it to true. Did you tried with false (that's how is was
> working in old wikimanager UI) ?
>

> > So, I am writing a patch in Xwiki, I will improve my code and propose a
> > push request in  order to add an option on database creation (by xwiki or
> > not).
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Antoine

> >> Old wiki manager UI used to propose you to force wiki creation when
> >> the DB/schema already existed but this feature seems to not be
> >> available anymore in the new UI. But as far as I can see this is
> >> supported by the wiki manager script API so one solution might be to
> >> either customize WikiManager.CreateWiki to allow it (it's mostly about
> >> passing false as last createWiki() method parameter and remove
> >> whatever javascript check forbid creating a wiki on existing database)
> >> or bypass the standard wiki creation UI and use a custom script which
> >> uses "wiki" script service (see
> >>

> http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/repositories/releases/archive/org/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-wiki-script/6.3/xwiki-platform-wiki-script-6.3-javadoc.jar/!/org/xwiki/wiki/script/WikiManagerScriptService.html
> >> ).

> configuration

> (and

> >> previously
> >> it ?

> >> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization

> >> [hidden email]

> >> regarding
> >> create
> >> >> >

> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/store/XWikiHibernateStore.javaline

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Create a new wiki on Oracle database autorisation

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Antoine Berthelin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> Yes, I set failOnExist parameter to false, xwiki don't check it.
> However, just after, he try to create user and schema.

This sounds like a bug to me, you should probably create a bug issue
on http://jira.xwiki.org. This error make this parameter totally
useless..