Creating a panel for all wikis

Jamal
Hi,

I'd like to create a new panel and place it in the sidebar of every wiki in my wiki farm. Is there a way to automatically make panels that I create for the main wiki available to subwikis, or do I have to manually copy them over?

Thanks,

Jamal

Re: Creating a panel for all wikis

Hi Jamal,

On 29 Jan 2015 at 17:10:23, Jamal ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to create a new panel and place it in the sidebar of every wiki in
> my wiki farm. Is there a way to automatically make panels that I create for
> the main wiki available to subwikis, or do I have to manually copy them
> over?

Each wiki manages its own content. You can do this:

* Create a template wiki with the panel and when you create a new subwiki, you’ll use that template to initiate the subwiki’s content (it’s the recommended way anyway)
* In the Admin, where you specify the list of panels, you can reference a panel located on the main wiki (or any other wiki) using the full reference name. For example: “xwiki:Panels.MyPanel” (this points to the MyPanel page in the Panels space on the main wiki)

> Jamal

Re: Creating a panel for all wikis

Jamal
Thanks Vincent.

This raises another question: if I create a new template wiki, or turn an existing wiki into a template, can I retroactively apply it to an existing subwiki?

On 30 Jan 2015 at 16:50:35, Jamal ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Thanks Vincent.
>
> This raises another question: if I create a new template wiki, or turn an
> existing wiki into a template, can I retroactively apply it to an existing
> subwiki?

There’s no UI for this but I guess you could script it and use the exposed wiki script service to perform the copy.

I was looking for documentation for that on extensions.xwiki.org but couldn’t find it.

@GuillaumeD:
- question 1: any idea where the doc could be for the various script services of the wiki modules?
- question 2: do we have a script service API to perform the template copy?

Re: Creating a panel for all wikis

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau

> On 30 Jan 2015 at 16:50:35, Jamal ([hidden email](mailto:
> [hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Thanks Vincent.
> >
> > This raises another question: if I create a new template wiki, or turn an
> > existing wiki into a template, can I retroactively apply it to an
> existing
> > subwiki?
>
> There’s no UI for this but I guess you could script it and use the exposed
> wiki script service to perform the copy.
>
> I was looking for documentation for that on extensions.xwiki.org but
> couldn’t find it.
>
> @GuillaumeD:
> - question 1: any idea where the doc could be for the various script
> services of the wiki modules?

Currently, there is this:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Wiki+Application#HFordevelopers

> - question 2: do we have a script service API to perform the template copy?

Unfortunately no, but you can use WikiTemplateManager#applyTemplate() in a
Groovy script.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: Creating a panel for all wikis

Jamal
Thanks to both of you. I'll give that a try.