Quantcast

Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Willi Schiegel
Dear All,

is it possible to customize the navigation menu in the sidebar, for
example to change the ordering from automatic alphabetical to a manual
order? Would be the extension "Menu Application" the right choice for this?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Willi

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Willi,

The Navigation Panel (
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Panels+Application#HNavigationPanel
), which I think you are referring to, doesn't support manual ordering. If
the navigation menu you want to put in place doesn't change very often (and
you're OK with hard-coding it) then you can use the Menu Application, but
also the static Tree Macro (
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tree+Macro#HStaticTree
). If you need the navigation menu to be dynamic (as it is right now) then
you can either create a custom tree (starting from the
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro )
or use the Menu Application with some scripting as in
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Menu+Application#HHierarchyPanel
.

Hope this helps,
Marius

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Willi Schiegel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> is it possible to customize the navigation menu in the sidebar, for
> example to change the ordering from automatic alphabetical to a manual
> order? Would be the extension "Menu Application" the right choice for this?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best,
> Willi

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Richter, Tobias
Hi Willi -

I ve used fort he horizontal Navigation the menu Application - for a vertical Application I`ve edited the Navigation panel inside the administration menu..

Don’t know whether it will help you,

But that`s my code:

{{velocity}}
#panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))

 [[{{icon name="files-o" size="2x"/}}Anleitungen>>FileManager.Anleitungen]]
----
 [[{{icon name="list" size="2x"/}}Anweisungen>>FileManager.Anweisungen]]
 ----
[[{{icon name="file-text-o" size="2x"/}}Formulare>>FileManager.Formulare]]
 ----
 [[{{icon name="book" size="2x"/}} Handbücher>>FileManager.Handbücher]]
 ----
[[{{icon name="file" size="2x"/}}Sonstiges>>FileManager.Sonstiges]]
 ----
{{/velocity}}

Cheers,

Toby

> Dear All,
>
> is it possible to customize the navigation menu in the sidebar, for
> example to change the ordering from automatic alphabetical to a manual
> order? Would be the extension "Menu Application" the right choice for this?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best,
> Willi

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Hi Tobias,

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 10:29, Richter, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Willi -
>
> I ve used fort he horizontal Navigation the menu Application - for a vertical Application I`ve edited the Navigation panel inside the administration menu..
>
> Don’t know whether it will help you,
>
> But that`s my code:
>
> {{velocity}}
> #panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))
>
> [[{{icon name="files-o" size="2x"/}}Anleitungen>>FileManager.Anleitungen]]
> ----
> [[{{icon name="list" size="2x"/}}Anweisungen>>FileManager.Anweisungen]]
> ----
> [[{{icon name="file-text-o" size="2x"/}}Formulare>>FileManager.Formulare]]
> ----
> [[{{icon name="book" size="2x"/}} Handbücher>>FileManager.Handbücher]]
> ----
> [[{{icon name="file" size="2x"/}}Sonstiges>>FileManager.Sonstiges]]
> ----
> {{/velocity}}

That’s nice.

One recommendation though: you probably should create your own panel instead of reusing an existing one since when you next upgrade you may get some conflict if there are also changes in the officially-provided Navigation Panel. Not a big issue though, you’ll just need to choose your version over the default one if you’re asked to choose. Also I case you need the original Nav panel it might be best to keep it as is.

> Cheers,
>
> Toby
>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> is it possible to customize the navigation menu in the sidebar, for
>> example to change the ordering from automatic alphabetical to a manual
>> order? Would be the extension "Menu Application" the right choice for this?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> Best,
>> Willi

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Richter, Tobias
Hi Vincent,

thanks a lot for your answer - indeed I`ve tried to find out how to create an own navpanel -

but after a lot trial and error the menu-content wasn`t "drag-and-droppable" (sry for the bad English) anymore. After a lot more trial and error I found out, that the drag-and-drop behavior of

this panel and the Navigation-heading belongs to this function:

#panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))

#panelheader means in CSS/HTML --> ID

But the "services.localization.render"- function with the 'xe.panels.navigation' -String(?) is unfortunately too deep in the xwiki-backend for me. It would be nice if you could

Send a link, where this syntax and the meaning of the function is explained in the documentation. I know that often "2-lazy-2google" questions are asked - but that would be

The step I want to learn next for getting deeper in the backend - for being able to customize xwiki more for our company.

Cheers,

Toby.

>That’s nice.

>One recommendation though: you probably should create your own panel instead of reusing an existing one since when you next upgrade you may get some conflict if there are also changes in the officially-provided >Navigation Panel. Not a big issue though, you’ll just need to choose your version over the default one if you’re asked to choose. Also I case you need the original Nav panel it might be best to keep it as is.

>Thanks
>-Vincent

> Cheers,
>
> Toby

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Willi Schiegel
Hello Marius,

thank you for your quick and helpful answer!

I will experiment with your suggestions.

Best,
Willi

On 03/06/2017 10:24 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> Hi Willi,
>
> The Navigation Panel (
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Panels+Application#HNavigationPanel
> ), which I think you are referring to, doesn't support manual ordering. If
> the navigation menu you want to put in place doesn't change very often (and
> you're OK with hard-coding it) then you can use the Menu Application, but
> also the static Tree Macro (
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tree+Macro#HStaticTree
> ). If you need the navigation menu to be dynamic (as it is right now) then
> you can either create a custom tree (starting from the
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro )
> or use the Menu Application with some scripting as in
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Menu+Application#HHierarchyPanel
> .
>
> Hope this helps,
> Marius
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Willi Schiegel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> is it possible to customize the navigation menu in the sidebar, for
>> example to change the ordering from automatic alphabetical to a manual
>> order? Would be the extension "Menu Application" the right choice for this?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> Best,
>> Willi

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Willi Schiegel
Hello Tobias, HEllo Vincent,

thank you for your quick answers!

I am also very interested in some links where I can read something about
the correct way of creating a panel, especially a navigation panel.

BEst,
Willi

On 03/06/2017 10:48 AM, Richter, Tobias wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> thanks a lot for your answer - indeed I`ve tried to find out how to create an own navpanel -
>
> but after a lot trial and error the menu-content wasn`t "drag-and-droppable" (sry for the bad English) anymore. After a lot more trial and error I found out, that the drag-and-drop behavior of
>
> this panel and the Navigation-heading belongs to this function:
>

> #panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))
>
> #panelheader means in CSS/HTML --> ID
>
> But the "services.localization.render"- function with the 'xe.panels.navigation' -String(?) is unfortunately too deep in the xwiki-backend for me. It would be nice if you could
>
> Send a link, where this syntax and the meaning of the function is explained in the documentation. I know that often "2-lazy-2google" questions are asked - but that would be
>
> The step I want to learn next for getting deeper in the backend - for being able to customize xwiki more for our company.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Toby.
>

>> That’s nice.
>
>> One recommendation though: you probably should create your own panel instead of reusing an existing one since when you next upgrade you may get some conflict if there are also changes in the officially-provided >Navigation Panel. Not a big issue though, you’ll just need to choose your version over the default one if you’re asked to choose. Also I case you need the original Nav panel it might be best to keep it as is.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Toby

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Hi guys,

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 10:48, Richter, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> thanks a lot for your answer - indeed I`ve tried to find out how to create an own navpanel -
>
> but after a lot trial and error the menu-content wasn`t "drag-and-droppable" (sry for the bad English) anymore. After a lot more trial and error I found out, that the drag-and-drop behavior of
>
> this panel and the Navigation-heading belongs to this function:
>

> #panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))
>
> #panelheader means in CSS/HTML --> ID
>
> But the "services.localization.render"- function with the 'xe.panels.navigation' -String(?) is unfortunately too deep in the xwiki-backend for me. It would be nice if you could
>
> Send a link, where this syntax and the meaning of the function is explained in the documentation. I know that often "2-lazy-2google" questions are asked - but that would be
>
> The step I want to learn next for getting deeper in the backend - for being able to customize xwiki more for our company.

To create a panel is very simple: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Panels+Application

The $services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation’) part is just an API call to get a translation key for internationalisation. If you create your own panel btw, you’ll get some default content.

You can use:

#panelheader(“My Panel")

> Cheers,
>
> Toby.
>

>> That’s nice.
>
>> One recommendation though: you probably should create your own panel instead of reusing an existing one since when you next upgrade you may get some conflict if there are also changes in the officially-provided >Navigation Panel. Not a big issue though, you’ll just need to choose your version over the default one if you’re asked to choose. Also I case you need the original Nav panel it might be best to keep it as is.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Toby

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Richter, Tobias
Thanks a lot for helping out!

Cheers,

Toby

On 03/06/2017 11:11 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
>> On 6 Mar 2017, at 10:48, Richter, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> thanks a lot for your answer - indeed I`ve tried to find out how to create an own navpanel -
>>
>> but after a lot trial and error the menu-content wasn`t "drag-and-droppable" (sry for the bad English) anymore. After a lot more trial and error I found out, that the drag-and-drop behavior of
>>
>> this panel and the Navigation-heading belongs to this function:
>>

>> #panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))
>>
>> #panelheader means in CSS/HTML --> ID
>>
>> But the "services.localization.render"- function with the 'xe.panels.navigation' -String(?) is unfortunately too deep in the xwiki-backend for me. It would be nice if you could
>>
>> Send a link, where this syntax and the meaning of the function is explained in the documentation. I know that often "2-lazy-2google" questions are asked - but that would be
>>
>> The step I want to learn next for getting deeper in the backend - for being able to customize xwiki more for our company.
>
> To create a panel is very simple: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Panels+Application

Thank you! Don't know why I missed this.

I now have a Panel "MyNavigation" with panel type "view" and category
"navigation". The content part is a copy of the original navigation
panel. So, I guess I can start from here and play around with the
solutions Marius suggested, right!? There is one difference between the
original navigation panel and mine: In my panel there is an extra menue
entry "Panels" with "MyNavigation" as a child. In the original
navigation panel there is no "Panels" entry in the navigation menue. Can
you explain why this is so?

Best,
Willi

> The $services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation’) part is just an API call to get a translation key for internationalisation. If you create your own panel btw, you’ll get some default content.
>
> You can use:
>
> #panelheader(“My Panel")
> …

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Toby.
>>

>>> That’s nice.
>>
>>> One recommendation though: you probably should create your own panel instead of reusing an existing one since when you next upgrade you may get some conflict if there are also changes in the officially-provided >Navigation Panel. Not a big issue though, you’ll just need to choose your version over the default one if you’re asked to choose. Also I case you need the original Nav panel it might be best to keep it as is.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Toby

Re: Customizing navigation menu in sidebar

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Willi Schiegel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03/06/2017 11:11 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> On 6 Mar 2017, at 10:48, Richter, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot for your answer - indeed I`ve tried to find out how to
>>> create an own navpanel -
>>>
>>> but after a lot trial and error the menu-content wasn`t
>>> "drag-and-droppable" (sry for the bad English) anymore. After a lot more
>>> trial and error I found out, that the drag-and-drop behavior of
>>>
>>> this panel and the Navigation-heading belongs to this function:
>>>

>>> #panelheader($services.localization.render('xe.panels.navigation'))
>>>
>>> #panelheader means in CSS/HTML --> ID
>>>
>>> But the "services.localization.render"- function with the
>>> 'xe.panels.navigation' -String(?) is unfortunately too deep in the
>>> xwiki-backend for me. It would be nice if you could
>>>
>>> Send a link, where this syntax and the meaning of the function is
>>> explained in the documentation. I know that often "2-lazy-2google"
>>> questions are asked - but that would be
>>>
>>> The step I want to learn next for getting deeper in the backend - for
>>> being able to customize xwiki more for our company.
>>>

>> To create a panel is very simple: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xw
>> iki/bin/view/Extension/Panels+Application
>>

> Thank you! Don't know why I missed this.
>
> I now have a Panel "MyNavigation" with panel type "view" and category
> "navigation". The content part is a copy of the original navigation panel.
> So, I guess I can start from here and play around with the solutions Marius
> suggested, right!? There is one difference between the original navigation
> panel and mine: In my panel there is an extra menue entry

> "Panels" with "MyNavigation" as a child. In the original navigation panel
> there is no "Panels" entry in the navigation menue. Can you explain why
> this is so?

The "Panels" page and all its child pages are hidden by default because
they are technical. Check the "Display Hidden Pages" in your user profile
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#HEditPreferences
. The panel page you created is not marked as hidden, so it appears in the
navigation tree, along with its parent (Panels). You can hide the panel
page from Wiki edit mode, see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#HAdvancedMode
.

Hope this helps,
Marius

On 03/06/2017 03:47 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Willi Schiegel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03/06/2017 11:11 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,

>>> To create a panel is very simple: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xw
>>> iki/bin/view/Extension/Panels+Application
>>>

>> Thank you! Don't know why I missed this.
>>
>> I now have a Panel "MyNavigation" with panel type "view" and category
>> "navigation". The content part is a copy of the original navigation panel.
>> So, I guess I can start from here and play around with the solutions Marius
>> suggested, right!? There is one difference between the original navigation
>> panel and mine: In my panel there is an extra menue entry
>

>> "Panels" with "MyNavigation" as a child. In the original navigation panel
>> there is no "Panels" entry in the navigation menue. Can you explain why
>> this is so?
>>

> The "Panels" page and all its child pages are hidden by default because
> they are technical. Check the "Display Hidden Pages" in your user profile
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#HEditPreferences
> . The panel page you created is not marked as hidden, so it appears in the
> navigation tree, along with its parent (Panels). You can hide the panel
> page from Wiki edit mode, see
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#HAdvancedMode
> .
>
> Hope this helps,