Database indexes for XWiki 8.2.1 on Postgresql

Database indexes for XWiki 8.2.1 on Postgresql

Mario
We are running xwiki 8.2.1 on tomcat using a postgresql database. In your performance guide is a link to http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Database+Administration

So for our installation, we have to create the indexes in section "Indexes for XWiki Enterprise versions after 4.3", more specifically

1.       the indexes found in the blue information message (from xws_number till xda_docid1), IF hibernate has not created them automatically

2.       and the indexes in the grey area (xwl_value till ase_param5)

Is this correct? Thank you.
Mario

Re: Database indexes for XWiki 8.2.1 on Postgresql

Hi Mario,

> On 29 Sep 2016, at 09:43, Hofstätter Mario <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are running xwiki 8.2.1 on tomcat using a postgresql database. In your performance guide is a link to http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Database+Administration
>
> So for our installation, we have to create the indexes in section "Indexes for XWiki Enterprise versions after 4.3", more specifically
>
> 1.       the indexes found in the blue information message (from xws_number till xda_docid1), IF hibernate has not created them automatically
>
> 2.       and the indexes in the grey area (xwl_value till ase_param5)
>
> Is this correct? Thank you.

Indeed the page was not very clear :) I have modified it. Could you check it now and let me know if it’s better?

> Mario

Re: Database indexes for XWiki 8.2.1 on Postgresql

Mario
vmassol wrote
Indeed the page was not very clear :) I have modified it. Could you check it now and let me know if it’s better?
Thanks, the doc is more clear now. We will test the index modifications on our testsystem to see if there's a noticable performance increase.

One more question:
Is there a system configuration (stack) that is recommended for use by the xwiki dev team? For example, which operating system / application server / database / ... ist used bei xwiki.org ? I only found the parameters as stated in http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Performances#HMemory

We are currently using Windows Server + Tomcat + Postgresql. Would you recommond switching the server to a linux os? Our system admins work mostly on windows though. We'd also prefer to use MS SQL Server, but http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationMSSQL looks outdated and troublesome.

Thanks.
Mario

Re: Database indexes for XWiki 8.2.1 on Postgresql

> On 29 Sep 2016, at 15:31, Mario <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> vmassol wrote
>> Indeed the page was not very clear :) I have modified it. Could you check
>> it now and let me know if it’s better?
>
> Thanks, the doc is more clear now. We will test the index modifications on
> our testsystem to see if there's a noticable performance increase.
>
> One more question:
> Is there a system configuration (stack) that is recommended for use by the
> xwiki dev team? For example, which operating system / application server /
> database / ... ist used bei xwiki.org ?

Xwiki.org uses:
- MySQL
- Linux
- Tomcat
- Apache front end

> I only found the parameters as
> stated in
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Performances#HMemory
>
> We are currently using Windows Server + Tomcat + Postgresql. Would you
> recommond switching the server to a linux os? Our system admins work mostly
> on windows though. We'd also prefer to use MS SQL Server, but
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationMSSQL looks
> outdated and troublesome.

Most tested configs are:
- MySQL & postgreSQL
- Tomcat
- Linux

If you’re curious to see the stats of XWiki users see:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ActiveInstalls/