Debian installation failed

Eugen Colesnicov
I am trying to install xwiki on Debian 8.5 using Debian packages.

I made commands (according to instruction):
1) wget -q "http://maven.xwiki.org/public.gpg" -O- | apt-key add -
2) wget "http://maven.xwiki.org/stable/xwiki-stable.list" -P /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
3) sudo apt-get update
4) apt-cache search xwiki - all ok, I see xwiki packages

When I trying to install -
5) apt-get install xwiki-enterprise-tomcat8-mysql
but result is:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 xwiki-enterprise-tomcat8-mysql : Depends: xwiki-enterprise-mysql-common (= 8.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
  Depends: xwiki-enterprise-tomcat8-common (= 8.2.1) but it is not going to be installed

What is the problem and how I can correct it?

Re: Debian installation failed

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Eugen Colesnicov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to install xwiki on Debian 8.5 using Debian packages.
>
> I made commands (according to instruction):
> 1) wget -q "http://maven.xwiki.org/public.gpg" -O- | apt-key add -
> 2) wget "http://maven.xwiki.org/stable/xwiki-stable.list" -P
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> 3) sudo apt-get update
> 4) apt-cache search xwiki - all ok, I see xwiki packages
>
> When I trying to install -
> 5) apt-get install xwiki-enterprise-tomcat8-mysql
> but result is:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  xwiki-enterprise-tomcat8-mysql : Depends: xwiki-enterprise-mysql-common (=
> 8.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
>   Depends: xwiki-enterprise-tomcat8-common (= 8.2.1) but it is not going to
> be installed
>
> What is the problem and how I can correct it?

When you get an error like this (which does not really say much in
practice) you can try to install the package that "is not going to be
installed" to get more detail on why it's not going to be installed.

I don't know Debian 8.5 very well (mostly using Ubuntu on my side) but
the cause of error like this is often one (or all) of the following:
* this Debian version does not provide any tomcat8 package in which
case the fix is to use xwiki-enterprise-tomcat7-mysql package instead
* this Debian version does not provider any openjdk-8-jre-headless
package in which case the fix is to install yourself some Java 8 JVM
(http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html
is nice for this). In short you need to make sure you install a
package that provide one of the following features:
java8-runtime-headless, java8-runtime or openjdk-8-jre-headless.

Re: Debian installation failed

Eugen Colesnicov
Thomas Mortagne wrote
... In short you need to make sure you install a
package that provide one of the following features:
java8-runtime-headless, java8-runtime or openjdk-8-jre-headless.
Thanks Thomas!
You are right! I forgot java... But for users who don't know linux very well - it is not so clearly...
Also problem, that Debian don't provide java install through packets. As a result, you should execute the following commands:
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
apt-get update
apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

Only after this xwiki installation goes without problems.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Eugen Colesnicov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thomas Mortagne wrote
>> ... In short you need to make sure you install a
>> package that provide one of the following features:
>> java8-runtime-headless, java8-runtime or openjdk-8-jre-headless.
>
> Thanks Thomas!
> You are right! I forgot java... But for users who don't know linux very well
> - it is not so clearly...

> Also problem, that Debian don't provide java install through packets.

Debian does provide Java as packets. It provide OpenJDK (and that's
what XWiki indicate as default dependency) on which XWiki works well
but I guess Debian 8.5 standard repository only provides OpenJDK up to
7.

> As a
> result, you should execute the following commands:
> echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" |
> tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
> echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main"
> | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
> apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
> apt-get update
> apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
>
> Only after this xwiki installation goes without problems.

Re: Debian installation failed

Actually looks like you have it in jessie-backports but it's probably
not enabled by default.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Eugen Colesnicov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thomas Mortagne wrote
>>> ... In short you need to make sure you install a
>>> package that provide one of the following features:
>>> java8-runtime-headless, java8-runtime or openjdk-8-jre-headless.
>>
>> Thanks Thomas!
>> You are right! I forgot java... But for users who don't know linux very well
>> - it is not so clearly...
>
>> Also problem, that Debian don't provide java install through packets.
>
> Debian does provide Java as packets. It provide OpenJDK (and that's
> what XWiki indicate as default dependency) on which XWiki works well
> but I guess Debian 8.5 standard repository only provides OpenJDK up to
> 7.
>
>> As a
>> result, you should execute the following commands:
>> echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" |
>> tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
>> echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main"
>> | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
>> apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
>>
>> Only after this xwiki installation goes without problems.

Re: Debian installation failed

Eugen Colesnicov
Thomas Mortagne wrote
Actually looks like you have it in jessie-backports but it's probably
not enabled by default.
Thomas, you are right. Need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add this line:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main

After this openjdk-8-jdk will be installing without problem. But as I said, for non-professional in linux - it is not so clearly :)

Maybe will reorganize InstallationViaAPT instruction? (http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationViaAPT)

For example, can be possible to rename "second step" to "third step", "first step" to "second step" and
add new "first step" with something like this:
... first step - you should install or check availability of openjdk-8-jdk package. For example in Debian  Jessie need to add  jessie-backports to repository sources-list ...

If you agree, I can do it.

Re: Debian installation failed

Sure any improvement to the documentation is welcome but I would probably
present this more as a special Debian Jessie step that somethings everyone
have to check (or maybe add this to a troubleshoot section for the others).
As you want.

Le 23 août 2016 17:05, "Eugen Colesnicov" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thomas Mortagne wrote
> Actually looks like you have it in jessie-backports but it's probably
> not enabled by default.

Thomas, you are right. Need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add this line:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main

After this openjdk-8-jdk will be installing without problem. But as I said,
for non-professional in linux - it is not so clearly :)

Maybe will reorganize InstallationViaAPT instruction?
(http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationViaAPT)

For example, can be possible to rename "second step" to "third step", "first
step" to "second step" and
add new "first step" with something like this:
... first step - you should install or check availability of openjdk-8-jdk
package. For example in Debian  Jessie need to add  jessie-backports to
repository sources-list ...

If you agree, I can do it.

Re: Debian installation failed

Eugen Colesnicov
Thomas Mortagne wrote
...add this to a troubleshoot section for the others).
Did it as you said. Thanks!

Re: Debian installation failed

Thanks to you :)