Devoxx Belgium talk submission ideas

Hi everyone,

I'm about to submit some talk proposals related to XWiki for Devoxx Belgium (http://www.devoxx.com/display/DV12/Home).

I was thinking it might be good to ask you what you think should be best that I present related to XWiki. What would you like to hear yourself at a general conference like Devoxx?

The tracks they have this year:

* Java Standard Edition (JDK 8++)
* Java Enterprise Edition (focus on Java EE 7 and beyond)
* Web (includes HTML5, JavaScript, CSS3 and RIA technologies)
* Mobile (includes Android, Hybrid and mobile web)
* Methodology
* Other languages on the JVM
* Architecture, Cloud and Security
* Future<Devoxx> is a brand new Devoxx track. Here we'll embracing the world where software meets hardware and schedule talks on walking objects (think NAO's, lots of NAO's), interactive objects like Arduino, but also intelligent flying and real-time rolling devices! Basically anything that feels happy in the Future<Devoxx> :o)

The formats they have available:

* Conference (60 mn)
* University (University talks are in depth presentations of 2 x 60 minutes with a 15 minute break in between. )
* Tools in Action (Tools in Action are 30 minute presentations demonstrating a programming tool.)
* BOF (BOF sessions are 60 minutes long, scheduled in the evening and are informal.)
* Quickie (Short 15 minute presentations during Lunch breaks)
* Hands-on Labs (3 hour hands-on sessions. )

Some ideas I have (from talks I've done in the past or new ideas):

* XWiki: A web development runtime platform
(example: http://www.slideshare.net/xwiki/xwiki-a-web-development-runtime-platform-9277065)
Track: java, javaEE, web

* XWiki: The Long tail of applications
Explain how XWiki addresses the long tail of application
(see http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SecondGenerationWiki)
Show lots of nice implementations of XWiki done for various use cases + present architecture and main concepts
Track: java, javaEE, web

* Hands on: Create a Conference web site live (1 hour or up to 3 hours if we do it as a Hands on lab)
See http://massol.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Breizhcamp2012XWiki
Track: java, javaEE, web

* Quickie: Application Within Minutes
Create a real useful web application in 15 minutes
Need to find a use case: bike shop, holiday request app, expense report, etc
Track: java, javaEE, web

* Creating your own project's quality dashboard (1 to 3 hours)
Uses XWiki to create a website for your development project with the following features:
* Documentation for your project
* Display JIRA issues
* Display Sonar metrics
* Display Jenkins statuses
* Display Git statistics of your project
* Application to perform releases (checklist, release notes)
* Send alerts (mail, IRC, etc) when thresholds are reached
Example: http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/XWikiOrgProposal2#HCommunityHome
Track: Methodology, java, javaEE, web

* Bridging Open source and Business
A model for professional open source based on the example of the XWiki open source project
Provides a solution for having a real community-based open source while having one or several companies funding the project
Track: Methodology

* A quick history of wikis (Quickie: 15 mn)
Shows evolution of wikis since their creation and where wikis are heading in the future

Let me know if you have new ideas, if you like some of those, how you would modify them to better fit Devoxx, etc.

Thanks a lot
-Vincent
http://about.me/vmassol
More about my previous talks: http://massol.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/VincentMassol

PS: Let me know if you plan to be in Devoxx this year! :)

Re: Devoxx Belgium talk submission ideas

Joris Dirks-2
It's a real difficult one for me as I have little idea about the
audience ('s interest) at Devoxx, but for me the Velocity aspect in
XWiki is quite unique. Just a thought!

On 2 July 2012 10:14, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Track: Methodology, java, javaEE, web
>
> * Bridging Open source and Business
> A model for professional open source based on the example of the XWiki open source project
> Provides a solution for having a real community-based open source while having one or several companies funding the project
> Track: Methodology
>
> * A quick history of wikis (Quickie: 15 mn)
> Shows evolution of wikis since their creation and where wikis are heading in the future
>
> Let me know if you have new ideas, if you like some of those, how you would modify them to better fit Devoxx, etc.
>
> Thanks a lot
> -Vincent
> http://about.me/vmassol
> More about my previous talks: http://massol.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/VincentMassol
>

> PS: Let me know if you plan to be in Devoxx this year! :)

Re: Devoxx Belgium talk submission ideas

Roman Muntyanu
Hello Vincent,

  The most interesting presentations I saw were based on real experience and included live demos. So I like all of the demos you've listed below (especially "quality dashboard" and "web site live").

  My 2 cents on potentially interesting content (from devoxx attendee the point of view):

> Methodology
Remember that survey about XWiki community and development process by Martin Schonberger?
http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/Questions-concerning-the-development-of-XWiki-Final-Round-td7566339.html
It's a good material for presentation about open source project evolution (how new challenges triggered new perception and new solutions).

> Architecture, Cloud and Security
      * A hands-on lab on deploying wiki farm to the cloud (can be combined with presentation describing xwiki architecture with regard to cloud deployment). Maybe even make the presentation more generic (to attract more audience) - to touch the topic of modern cloud deployment and management (http://jelastic.com/ ; http://www.cloudbees.com/ ; http://www.cloudfoundry.com/ ) and deploy XWiki farm to the cloud as an example.
      * Also on architecture part - there can be a good presentation on "Refactoring to Modularity" (or "Refactoring to Maven"?) - how the need for modularity emerged and how XWiki has been refactored (all with samples of "before" and "after").
      * (Speaking of Maven) XWiki project is unique in terms of number of Maven modules - so presentation like "Maven: One tool to rule them all" would be interesting from pure practical standpoint.

> A quick history of wikis (Quickie: 15 mn) Shows evolution of wikis since their creation and where wikis are heading in the future
   For this one I can suggest source where I have collected many ideas http://prezi.com/nymm70tfdird/next-gen-collaboration-wikis/ . Maybe you'll find something useful.

  Good luck with the show! Looking forward to see your speeches on http://www.parleys.com/#st=3&id=189

Btw, when preparing those demos - most likely the presenter will practice it several times. We can kill 2 birds with one stone if presenter records his training speeches in order to provide video guides/tours on YouTube (one thing XWiki currently lacks).

Regards,
  Roman

Re: Devoxx Belgium talk submission ideas

Ludovic Dubost
I think caleb's Cassandre based XWiki could be a great talk with you and or him as a speaker

Envoyé de mon iPhone