[Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

[Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi fellow XWikiers,
I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface we might
want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I gathered
so far on this page :
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .

I'd be glad to get some feedback either on the list or in comments right on
the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or clashes with
your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.

Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page on a
regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback received
- if any.

In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to assume
safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the end and
stop its development altogether ;-)

Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),

Guillaume

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

kaaloo
Hi Guillaume,

You might want to look at Adobe's Buzzword in your analysis.  It has a
nice simple interface whose principles you might find useful and
interesting.  If I remember correctly the menu system is tabbed like
your suggestion number 3.

Good luck !
Luis

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi fellow XWikiers,
> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface we might
> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I gathered
> so far on this page :
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .
>
> I'd be glad to get some feedback either on the list or in comments right on
> the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or clashes with
> your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.
>
> Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page on a
> regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback received
> - if any.
>
> In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to assume
> safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the end and
> stop its development altogether ;-)
>
> Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),
>
> Guillaume

Luis Arias
+33 6 14 20 87 93
skype : kaaloo

On Jun 25, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi fellow XWikiers,
> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface
> we might
> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I
> gathered
> so far on this page :
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .

I think the following tabs in the 3rd proposal are a bit strange: Text
| Insert | Link | Macro | Import | Create

Some are about content type: Text, Link, Macro
Others are about Actions on content: Insert , Import, Create

I think we need to be consistent: either use only actions or only
content type and have the sub menu display the other category.

Another way of saying this is that to create a link I wouldn't know if
I should click on "Insert" on "Link" or on "Create".

I haven't made my mind yet on which proposal is my favorite... still
thinking... :)

thanks
-Vincent

> I'd be glad to get some feedback either on the list or in comments
> right on
> the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or
> clashes with
> your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.
>
> Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page
> on a
> regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback
> received
> - if any.
>
> In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to
> assume
> safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the
> end and
> stop its development altogether ;-)
>
> Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),
>
> Guillaume

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Jean-Vincent Drean
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi fellow XWikiers,
> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface we might
> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I gathered
> so far on this page :
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .

Quick feedback : -1 for 1)
It would be good to see a comparison between 2) and 3) with the same
items displayed on both.
2) seems to be better at displaying a lot of items + the common text
features are always one click away,
I like the modern layout of 3) but I think a lot of users would feel
more comfortable with the classic 2) layout.

--
Jean-Vincent Drean

On Jun 25, 2008, at 6:35 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> Hi fellow XWikiers,
>> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface
>> we might
>> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I
>> gathered
>> so far on this page :
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/
>> NewWysiwygEditorInterface .
>>

> Quick feedback : -1 for 1)
> It would be good to see a comparison between 2) and 3) with the same
> items displayed on both.
> 2) seems to be better at displaying a lot of items + the common text
> features are always one click away,
> I like the modern layout of 3) but I think a lot of users would feel
> more comfortable with the classic 2) layout.

You've summarized completely and exactly my current feeling!

Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi fellow XWikiers,
> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface we might
> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I gathered
> so far on this page :
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .
>
> I'd be glad to get some feedback either on the list or in comments right on
> the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or clashes with
> your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.
>
> Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page on a
> regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback received
> - if any.
>
> In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to assume
> safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the end and
> stop its development altogether ;-)
>
> Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),

Option 1: -1. Bad UI design, I don't like toolbars. Reminds me of
http://thor.info.uaic.ro/~sergiu.dumitriu/hci/L7/img/SciWriter_19.jpg

Option 2: +0.5. Cleaner, more organized than 1. Still, as the screenshot shows, the Insert menu is
already too big.

Option 3: +0.55. Modern, goes the new MSOffice way. This is good, as in theory it enhances
productivity and offers a more intuitive way of organizing things. The ugly colored screenshots have
the major disadvantage that they are not flexible. No other option fits in the Import area.
A big -1 because enough people are annoyed by the new MS Office and the so called "ribbon". +1,
since this negative trend is caused by the normal rejection of new and different things, and it will
fade away soon. Small observation: are the actions visible enough? (save, undo...).

Anyway, all options require a careful thinking of what goes where, how many entries to have, and how
are they organized. I'd be in favor of keeping the customization features to a minimum. If you leave
a lot of make-up tools in there, people will be tempted to spend time on making things big red and
blinky, instead of better organizing the content.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Paul Libbrecht
Comment to artist view: make the colors gradiating: e.g. from black
(top menu), till dark blue for second-level-bar, till light view for
dialog.

You may want to leave some space for "recently often used functions"
in such a toolbar where almost everything is too level away?

Also, some of the inserts dialogs could, in an ideal world, be "put
aside for a while" (e.g. on the right) until they are used? (e.g. I am
about to insert a picture, and have everything ready for it, but I
need to insert a frame and caption before).

My 2p.

paul

Le 25-juin-08 à 17:40, Guillaume Lerouge a écrit :

> Hi fellow XWikiers,
> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface
> we might
> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I
> gathered
> so far on this page :
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .
>
> I'd be glad to get some feedback either on the list or in comments
> right on
> the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or
> clashes with
> your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.
>
> Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page
> on a
> regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback
> received
> - if any.
>
> In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to
> assume
> safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the
> end and
> stop its development altogether ;-)
>
> Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

1. _Only_ tool bar
As long as it doesn't contain too many features on it, say more than 20, a
tool bar is the best solution for me. It wont lead to a dialog box
overload if they are modal and we use wizards. But anyway, the dialog box
"problem" is not a consequence of the _only_ tool bar solution. In order
to scale, a tool bar must be complemented by something else to put the
extra, not so common, features. This _something else_ could be provided by
the other two solutions proposed.

2. Menu bar & tool bar
The extra features are organized in a menu bar, which could be detached
through configuration thus obtaining a light editor for smaller text
areas. I don't think the menus would require extensive cross-browser
testing to make sure everything works fine, and I don't think things might
break more easily. I believe there are way to organize the menus
efficiently, from the usability point of view. This solution must be
further complemented by modal dialog boxes (and wizards).

3. Tabs, each with its own tool bar
I don't find it modern because I have the feeling I've seen it in old 80's
screen shots. Rediscovering the past is not bad, as long as we value the
usability. Speaking of which, here's some of the things I don't like:

* Because we can't know a priori the size of the editor (depends on the
client needs) we can't limit the size of the "dialog boxes" to the size of
the editor. Scroll bars are out of discussion in this case. For the same
reason, I don't think the inspector and chat panels will scale. The user
will end up wanting to resize horizontally this panels. What will then
happen with the tabs and the text area?..
* The dialog boxes will cover the text area without allowing the user to
move them in order to see the text while filling the specific dialog form.
In the menu-bar solution, even though the dialog boxes are  modal, they
can be moved (they are not "physically" bound to the menus that trigger
them).
* I can't see how it will degrade to a light editor for smaller text areas.
* Some of our clients might not need all the features and we might end up
giving them an editor with 6 tabs, each with 2 sub-features. In other
words, a great editor should scale gracefully from 1 feature to 100
(organized in menu, tags or whatever).
* I don't think having a default tab and returning "blindly" to it after
each action is smart. What if I want to repeat my last action?

Hope this will trigger some thoughts,
Marius

> Hi fellow XWikiers,
> I've been spending some time thinking about the new User Interface we
> might
> want to build for the new WYSIWYG editor. I've posted the ideas I gathered
> so far on this page :
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface .
>
> I'd be glad to get some feedback either on the list or in comments right
> on
> the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or clashes
> with
> your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.
>
> Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page on a
> regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback
> received
> - if any.
>
> In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to assume
> safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the end and
> stop its development altogether ;-)
>
> Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),
>
> Guillaume

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

I've added a fourth proposal :

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface#HProposalNumber4

WDYT ?

Guillaume

http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

> I've added a fourth proposal :
>
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface#HProposalNumber4
>
> WDYT ?

I like it. However, the way we group the features in the menu bar is very
important. I think we should find the right balance between putting every
option in the menu and putting every option in the associated
dialog/wizard. For instance I think it would be wrong to have an Import
menu with entries for any file format you could think of, as it would be
wrong to have a single Import button opening a dialog/wizard with options
for any of those file formats. One solution I can think of is to have a
menu entry like "Import Office Documents" which opens a dialog/wizard from
where you can select what kind of Office document you want to import. In
the same way, we could have a single "Link to Document" menu entry with an
option on the dialog to create the document if it doesn't exist.

Guillaume, you should know that in the end the layout (what features and
in what order) of the tool bar, menu bar, tab bar, or whatever we'll
decide on, will not be hard-coded but read from the configuration. For
instance, the layout of the tool bar could be specified as:

"Bold Italics Strikethrough Underlined | BulletedList NumberedList | ..."

Thanks for listening,
Marius

> [...]
>> > the page in order to see whether any given approach clinches or
>> clashes
>> > with
>> > your own conceptions of a great rich text editor.
>> >
>> > Please bear in mind that I'll probably be adding content to the page
>> on a
>> > regular basis in days to come in order to account for the feedback
>> > received
>> > - if any.
>> >
>> > In case of an absence of feedback, well, I guess we'll be able to
>> assume
>> > safely that the new WYSIWYG editor doesn't matter that much in the end
>> and
>> > stop its development altogether ;-)
>> >
>> > Looking forward hearing from you guys (and girls),
>> >
>> > Guillaume

> http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

[snip]

> I like it. However, the way we group the features in the menu bar is very
> important. I think we should find the right balance between putting every
> option in the menu and putting every option in the associated
> dialog/wizard.

In some cases we may have an option that is both available from a drop-down
menu in the menu bar and through a tab in a modal dialog box - that's not an
issue per se. Let's take the example of links : when using the full-fledged
editor, you'll be able to access some features from both the menu and the
dialog box, while in light editor mode the link button will trigger the
dialog box right away and the only way to choose a different mode will be
through tabs in the dialog box.

> For instance I think it would be wrong to have an Import
> menu with entries for any file format you could think of, as it would be
> wrong to have a single Import button opening a dialog/wizard with options
> for any of those file formats. One solution I can think of is to have a
> menu entry like "Import Office Documents" which opens a dialog/wizard from
> where you can select what kind of Office document you want to import.

We could do the same thing for the import menu that for macros -> use 2
levels of drop-down menu (primary : MS Office / Open Office / Other , then
secondary : Word / Excel)

> In the same way, we could have a single "Link to Document" menu entry with
> an
> option on the dialog to create the document if it doesn't exist.

I added the "new document" menu option because I think it makes things
simpler for basic wiki users (who might not be aware that they can create a
link towards a page that does not exist yet). We'll have some choices to
make during the last stage of the design, but if the overall look & feel is
right it shouldn't be too hard.

> Guillaume, you should know that in the end the layout (what features and
> in what order) of the tool bar, menu bar, tab bar, or whatever we'll
> decide on, will not be hard-coded but read from the configuration. For
> instance, the layout of the tool bar could be specified as:
>
> "Bold Italics Strikethrough Underlined | BulletedList NumberedList | ..."

Cool, this way it will be easier to experiment with various configurations
once the editor gets into user testing mode :-)

Guillaume

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,
in order to keep the work going on the new WYSIWYG editor we need to decide
which UI we want to have for the editor.

Interface proposals & explanations are available on the following page :

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorInterface

Here are the choices, please cast your vote in front of the one you like
best :

   - Proposal Number 1 :
   - Proposal Number 2 :
   - Proposal Number 3 :
   - Proposal Number 4 : Guillaume

Please note that this is a vote for an interface concept : the eventual
colors, icons and look & feel will be reviewed and improved by a designer
prior to the final implementation.

Thanks,

Guillaume

--
http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

  - Proposal Number 1 :
  - Proposal Number 2 :
  - Proposal Number 3 : Thomas

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> link towards a page that does not exist yet). We'll have some choices to
>> make during the last stage of the design, but if the overall look & feel is
>> right it shouldn't be too hard.
>>

>>> Guillaume, you should know that in the end the layout (what features and
>>> in what order) of the tool bar, menu bar, tab bar, or whatever we'll
>>> decide on, will not be hard-coded but read from the configuration. For
>>> instance, the layout of the tool bar could be specified as:
>>>
>>> "Bold Italics Strikethrough Underlined | BulletedList NumberedList | ..."
>>

>> Cool, this way it will be easier to experiment with various configurations
>> once the editor gets into user testing mode :-)
>>
>> Guillaume
>>

> --
> http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Marius Dumitru Florea
+1 for 4, thus:

- Proposal Number 1 :
- Proposal Number 2 :
- Proposal Number 3 : Thomas
- Proposal Number 4 : Guillaume, Marius

[snip]

Re: [Discussion] New WYSIWYG GUI Propositions

Marta Girdea
- Proposal Number 1 :
- Proposal Number 2 :
- Proposal Number 3 : Thomas
- Proposal Number 4 : Guillaume, Marius, Marta