[Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

1234

[Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Eduard Moraru
Hi devs,

I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but in
my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
questions like this [1] start to be asked.

The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
various number of reasons:
- It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the page
content)
- It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
- from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
completely randomly selected:
-- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains are
trained to follow)
-- it's not exactly at the top either
-- it's not at the right
-- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
-- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
- etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)

I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important aspect
of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
to miss.

Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
with this as well?

Thanks,
Eduard

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

I have pretty much the same comments. The former location of that
button made much more sense to me but given my usual participation to
big Flaming design discussions I can't really complain too much ;)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but in
> my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> questions like this [1] start to be asked.
>
> The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> various number of reasons:
> - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
> related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the page
> content)
> - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
> - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> completely randomly selected:
> -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains are
> trained to follow)
> -- it's not exactly at the top either
> -- it's not at the right
> -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
> WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
> -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)
>
> I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important aspect
> of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
> to miss.
>
> Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
> with this as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

please see my comments inline.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I have pretty much the same comments. The former location of that
> button made much more sense to me but given my usual participation to
> big Flaming design discussions I can't really complain too much ;)
>

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but
> in
> > my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> > questions like this [1] start to be asked.
> >
> > The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> > various number of reasons:
> > - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
> > related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the
> page
> > content)

I'm not sure that's a problem. The default behavior of the "create page"
button is to create a page that is a child of the current page. Therefore,
it can be considered a "current page-related" action.

> > - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button

Indeed, this would need to be improved.

> > - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> > completely randomly selected:
> > -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains
> are
> > trained to follow)
> > -- it's not exactly at the top either
> > -- it's not at the right
>
> -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> > - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)

I don't have a strong feeling about this. The only comparison I can think
of right off the bat is Confluence, which has the same button in a similar
location. It doesn't seem to be causing issues to their users.

I would see sense in adding "comment" as an option next to "page" and "page
from office".

> > -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
>
> WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)

As stated previously, I think having the same "Create" button for 3 actions
that are fundamentally different is the larger issue here. I suggested a
solution in the aforementioned email thread (separating the "create space"
and "create wiki" buttons).

Thanks,

Guillaume

> I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important
> aspect
> > of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
> > to miss.
> >
> > Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
> > with this as well?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
Hi Eddy,

> I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but in
> my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> questions like this [1] start to be asked.
>
> The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> various number of reasons:
> - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
> related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the page
> content)
> - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
> - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> completely randomly selected:
> -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains are
> trained to follow)
> -- it's not exactly at the top either
> -- it's not at the right
> -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
> WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
> -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)

Personally, I like the fact that it is located near the Edit button, even
if it does not concern the current page. Because it groups the most basic
and useful actions that you need when you want to contribute: EDIT, ADD.

To me, it makes sense.

> I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important aspect
> of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
> to miss.
>
> Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
> with this as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi again,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eddy,

> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but
> in
> > my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> > questions like this [1] start to be asked.
> >
> > The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> > various number of reasons:
> > - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
> > related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the
> page
> > content)
> > - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button

More generally speaking, this is true for a lot of livetables. We would
need a generic "Create" button to be available when we instantiate a
livetable. This could be useful for the wiki index page, for the user
directory, for all the AWM homepages...

Basically the button would let the user create a new item of the same type
than the items displayed in the livetable. Right now we do this in an
ad-hoc fashion, so it would be great to have a generic solution. It's also
related to the automatic page name generation module (that we don't have in
the core yet, though there's an extensions doing it
<http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module>
).

Guillaume

> > - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> > completely randomly selected:
> > -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains
> are
> > trained to follow)
> > -- it's not exactly at the top either
> > -- it's not at the right
> > -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
> > WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
> > -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> > - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)
> >

> Personally, I like the fact that it is located near the Edit button, even
> if it does not concern the current page. Because it groups the most basic
> and useful actions that you need when you want to contribute: EDIT, ADD.
>
> To me, it makes sense.
>

> > I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important
> aspect
> > of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
> > to miss.
> >
> > Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
> > with this as well?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Eduard Moraru
On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eddy,

> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but
> in
> > my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> > questions like this [1] start to be asked.
> >
> > The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> > various number of reasons:
> > - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
> > related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the
> page
> > content)
> > - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
> > - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> > completely randomly selected:
> > -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains
> are
> > trained to follow)
> > -- it's not exactly at the top either
> > -- it's not at the right
> > -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
> > WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
> > -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> > - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)
> >

> Personally, I like the fact that it is located near the Edit button, even
> if it does not concern the current page. Because it groups the most basic
> and useful actions that you need when you want to contribute: EDIT, ADD.
>
> To me, it makes sense.

I`m sorry, but that does not make sense to me. Actually I have found myself
quite often almost clicking ADD when I wanted to perform an operation on
the current document, like Edit or something from More Actions.

At least if we`d group actions related to the current document somehow, but
in no ways is it correct from my POV to have:
1 action for the current document, 1 action *not* for the current document
and then "more actions" *for the current document*. It's like an usability
"roller coaster".

One not so great solution for the "roller coaster" problem would be to have
the Add button first in the list. At least the focus would shift only once.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Eddy,

>> > Hi devs,
>> >
>> > I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but
>> in
>> > my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
>> > questions like this [1] start to be asked.
>> >
>> > The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
>> > various number of reasons:
>> > - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
>> > related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the
>> page
>> > content)
>> > - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
>>

> More generally speaking, this is true for a lot of livetables. We would
> need a generic "Create" button to be available when we instantiate a
> livetable. This could be useful for the wiki index page, for the user
> directory, for all the AWM homepages...

I guess you like the files live table from the File Manager then :)
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
. Would be interesting to have such a toolbar (with support for custom
buttons) before the live table don't you think?

> Basically the button would let the user create a new item of the same type
> than the items displayed in the livetable. Right now we do this in an
> ad-hoc fashion, so it would be great to have a generic solution. It's also
> related to the automatic page name generation module (that we don't have in
> the core yet, though there's an extensions doing it
> <http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module>
> ).
>
> Guillaume
>

>> > - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
>> > completely randomly selected:
>> > -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains
>> are
>> > trained to follow)
>> > -- it's not exactly at the top either
>> > -- it's not at the right
>> > -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
>> > WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
>> > -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
>> > - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)
>> >

>> Personally, I like the fact that it is located near the Edit button, even
>> if it does not concern the current page. Because it groups the most basic
>> and useful actions that you need when you want to contribute: EDIT, ADD.
>>
>> To me, it makes sense.
>>

>> > I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important
>> aspect
>> > of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
>> > to miss.
>> >
>> > Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
>> > with this as well?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Eduard

>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>

> I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but in
> my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> questions like this [1] start to be asked.
>
> The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> various number of reasons:
> - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries (i.e.
> related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the page
> content)
> - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
> - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> completely randomly selected:
> -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains are
> trained to follow)
> -- it's not exactly at the top either
> -- it's not at the right
> -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
> WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
> -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)

First of all, I agree that we must copy from one skin to another things
that work, but I also believe that each skin could have their own
characteristics. Flamingo skin brought some menu and panels changes and
just time and user testing will reveal if the changes were beneficial. This
doesn't mean that we should not experiment or keep just one style of
interaction always.

Second of all, the big reason why I proposed this menu entry changes were
some user complains that the actions were not in a single place. They
complained that the actions were scattered across the UI and you had to Add
in one part, Edit in another, while Copy/Move/Delete in other part of the
UI. Maybe the problem is that we didn't go the full way, that meaning
remove or duplicate the page actions (copy, rename, delete) in the 'More
actions' menu. This way we could have had all the actions at hand. [one of
the reasons I didn't propose this was because I kind of like the actions
consistency of wiki/space/page menus - being able to delete a
wiki/space/page entity in the same manner].

Another reason why we moved the Add from top, was that it had some
visibility problems: some users ignored it's position and couldn't find it,
compared to the central location it has now. Also on customized instances
the globalmenu was hidden from users (because wiki/space/page menu were
considered to be complex) this way disabling the user from creating
entities.

Moving the Add from the globalmenu also gave the wiki/space/page breadcrumb
more identity, separating a bit the navigation from actions.

I like both solutions (Colibri and Flamingo) and I see arguments for both,
that's why maybe for me is hard to decide if one way is better than the
other.

> I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important aspect
> of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s hard
> to miss.
>
> Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem here
> with this as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Marius,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Eddy,

> but
> >> in

> (i.e.
> >> page
> >>

> > More generally speaking, this is true for a lot of livetables. We would
> > need a generic "Create" button to be available when we instantiate a
> > livetable. This could be useful for the wiki index page, for the user
> > directory, for all the AWM homepages...
>
> I guess you like the files live table from the File Manager then :)
>
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
> . Would be interesting to have such a toolbar (with support for custom
> buttons) before the live table don't you think?

Yes and yes :-)

Guillaume

> > Basically the button would let the user create a new item of the same
> type
> > than the items displayed in the livetable. Right now we do this in an
> > ad-hoc fashion, so it would be great to have a generic solution. It's
> also
> > related to the automatic page name generation module (that we don't have
> in
> > the core yet, though there's an extensions doing it
> > <
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module
> >
> > ).
> >
> > Guillaume

> >> are
> >> >

> >> Personally, I like the fact that it is located near the Edit button,
> even
> >> if it does not concern the current page. Because it groups the most
> basic
> >> and useful actions that you need when you want to contribute: EDIT, ADD.
> >>
> >> To me, it makes sense.

> >> aspect
> hard

> here

> >> --
> >> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> >> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> >> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Edy,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Eddy,

> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > I`m not sure if we already have a discussion started on this topic, but
> > in
> > > my opinion, it's long overdue. I see people start being confused and
> > > questions like this [1] start to be asked.
> > >
> > > The new location of the Add menu in Flamingo is problematic IMO for a
> > > various number of reasons:
> > > - It falsely gives the impression that it adds page-related entries
> (i.e.
> > > related to the current page), due to its current location (i.e. in the
> > page
> > > content)
> > > - It conflicts with AWM`s "Add new Entry" button
> > > - from my POV, looking at the page from a far, the new location looks
> > > completely randomly selected:
> > > -- It's not on the left/top (as left-to-right language specific brains
> > are
> > > trained to follow)
> > > -- it's not exactly at the top either
> > > -- it's not at the right
> > > -- it's not next to the type of elements it creates (i.e. next to
> > > WIKI/SPACE/PAGE)
> > > -- it basically is almost in the middle of the screen
> > > - etc. (i.e. others that don`t come right now to my mind)
> > >

> > Personally, I like the fact that it is located near the Edit button, even
> > if it does not concern the current page. Because it groups the most basic
> > and useful actions that you need when you want to contribute: EDIT, ADD.
> >
> > To me, it makes sense.
> >

> I`m sorry, but that does not make sense to me. Actually I have found myself
> quite often almost clicking ADD when I wanted to perform an operation on
> the current document, like Edit or something from More Actions.
>
> At least if we`d group actions related to the current document somehow, but
> in no ways is it correct from my POV to have:
> 1 action for the current document, 1 action *not* for the current document
> and then "more actions" *for the current document*. It's like an usability
> "roller coaster".
>
> One not so great solution for the "roller coaster" problem would be to have
> the Add button first in the list. At least the focus would shift only once.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

I agree on this specifically (the issue of having the "Add" button being
sandwiched between the "Edit" and "More actions" buttons).

I'd be in favor of putting the "Add" button furthest to the right, with the
"Edit" and "More actions" buttons coming first so that page-related actions
come first, but the order you're suggesting would work as well.

Guillaume

> > I`d like to open a discussion on this, since it's quite an important
> > aspect
> > > of the UI and, due to it's shiny green color (which I like :)), it`s
> hard
> > > to miss.
> > >
> > > Is it just me who's resistant to change, or do others see a problem
> here
> > > with this as well?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Eduard

> > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Marius,
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi again,

> > but

> > (i.e.
> the
> > >>

> > > More generally speaking, this is true for a lot of livetables. We would
> > > need a generic "Create" button to be available when we instantiate a
> > > livetable. This could be useful for the wiki index page, for the user
> > > directory, for all the AWM homepages...
> >
> > I guess you like the files live table from the File Manager then :)
> >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
> > . Would be interesting to have such a toolbar (with support for custom
> > buttons) before the live table don't you think?

 IMO the toolbar's functionality is already covered by the 'Actions' column
in the livetable. The only thing missing is the 'Create'

> Yes and yes :-)
>
> Guillaume
>

> > > Basically the button would let the user create a new item of the same
> > type
> > > than the items displayed in the livetable. Right now we do this in an
> > > ad-hoc fashion, so it would be great to have a generic solution. It's
> > also
> > > related to the automatic page name generation module (that we don't
> have
> > in
> > > the core yet, though there's an extensions doing it
> > > <
> >
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module
> > >
> > > ).
> > >
> > > Guillaume

> looks
> brains

> > even
> > basic
> ADD.

> > hard

> > here

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge-3
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Marius,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <
> [hidden email]>

> topic,
> > > but
> and

> for
> entries
> > > (i.e.
> > the

> would
> > >
> > > I guess you like the files live table from the File Manager then :)
> > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
> > > . Would be interesting to have such a toolbar (with support for custom
> > > buttons) before the live table don't you think?
> > >

>  IMO the toolbar's functionality is already covered by the 'Actions' column
> in the livetable. The only thing missing is the 'Create'

I'm not sure this is the same use case. I can see at least 3 reasons why:

1/ The "create" button would generate a new entry, whereas the "actions"
column is for actions that are related to individual entries that already
exist
2/ The "actions" column can be removed by the livetable creator
3/ The toolbar would also be useful to handle bulk actions on pages such as
"delete selected entries" (as in the file manager)

Best,

Guillaume

Thanks,

> Caty
>

> > Yes and yes :-)
> >
> > Guillaume

> > > type
> > > also
> > have
> > > in
> > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

> > looks
> > brains

> > > even
> > > basic
> > ADD.

> important
> it`s
> > > hard

> problem
> > > here

Guillaume Lerouge
guillaumelerouge.com <http://www.guillaumelerouge.com/>
06 10 79 76 70

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Marius,

> > [hidden email]>

> Delhumeau <

> > topic,
> > and

> > for
> > entries
> in
> > > the

> > would
> user

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
> custom
> > > >

> >  IMO the toolbar's functionality is already covered by the 'Actions'
> column
> > in the livetable. The only thing missing is the 'Create'
> >

> I'm not sure this is the same use case. I can see at least 3 reasons why:

IMO it's exactly the same use case, the only difference is that the Actions
column was used as an intermediate solution because we didn't had bulk
actions in livetable (the ability to make multiple entity selection
(checkbox) - that's why we duplicate the entries on each row).

> 1/ The "create" button would generate a new entry, whereas the "actions"
> column is for actions that are related to individual entries that already
> exist
> 2/ The "actions" column can be removed by the livetable creator
> 3/ The toolbar would also be useful to handle bulk actions on pages such as
> "delete selected entries" (as in the file manager)
>
> Best,
>
> Guillaume
>
> Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> > > Yes and yes :-)
> > >
> > > Guillaume

> same
> an
> It's
> > > have
> > > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

> > > looks
> > > brains

> button,
> most
> EDIT,
> > > ADD.

> > important
> > it`s

> > problem

> Guillaume Lerouge
> guillaumelerouge.com <http://www.guillaumelerouge.com/>
> 06 10 79 76 70

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <
> [hidden email]>

> > > [hidden email]>

> > Delhumeau <

> >:

> > > topic,
> confused
> > > and

> IMO
> > > for
> > > entries
> (i.e.
> > in

> > > would
> instantiate
> > user

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
> > custom
> > > > >

> > >  IMO the toolbar's functionality is already covered by the 'Actions'
> > column
> > > in the livetable. The only thing missing is the 'Create'
> > >

> > I'm not sure this is the same use case. I can see at least 3 reasons why:
> >

> IMO it's exactly the same use case, the only difference is that the Actions
> column was used as an intermediate solution because we didn't had bulk
> actions in livetable (the ability to make multiple entity selection
> (checkbox) - that's why we duplicate the entries on each row).

Great, this means that we agree on the fact that the "Actions" column
should be replaced by a "Select" column with checkboxes in it, and also
that Marius' horizontal livetable toolbar should be expanded to be used in
a generic fashion by all livetables :-)

Guillaume

> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> > 1/ The "create" button would generate a new entry, whereas the "actions"
> > column is for actions that are related to individual entries that already
> > exist
> > 2/ The "actions" column can be removed by the livetable creator
> > 3/ The toolbar would also be useful to handle bulk actions on pages such
> as
> > "delete selected entries" (as in the file manager)
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Guillaume
> >
> > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> > same
> in
> > an
> > It's
> don't
> > > > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

> location
> specific

> > button,
> > most
> > EDIT,

> > > important
> :)),
> > > it`s

> > > problem

> > Guillaume Lerouge
> > guillaumelerouge.com <http://www.guillaumelerouge.com/>
> > 06 10 79 76 70

Venez nous rencontrer lors du *petit-déjeuner XWiki le mardi 7 octobre 2014
!* <http://info.xwiki.com/petit-dejeuner-XWiki-octobre-2014.html>
--
<http://www.xwiki.com/>*Guillaume Lerouge*
*Director of Sales & Marketing*

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Eduard Moraru
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > [hidden email]>

> > > Delhumeau <

> > >:

> > confused

> > IMO
> > (i.e.
> > > in

> We
> > instantiate
> the
> > > user

> :)
> > > > > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable
> > > custom

> > > column
> > > >

> > > I'm not sure this is the same use case. I can see at least 3 reasons
> why:
> > >

> > IMO it's exactly the same use case, the only difference is that the
> Actions
> > column was used as an intermediate solution because we didn't had bulk
> > actions in livetable (the ability to make multiple entity selection
> > (checkbox) - that's why we duplicate the entries on each row).
> >

> Great, this means that we agree on the fact that the "Actions" column
> should be replaced by a "Select" column with checkboxes in it, and also
> that Marius' horizontal livetable toolbar should be expanded to be used in
> a generic fashion by all livetables :-)

Not completely replaced because not all operations/actions can be performed
in bulk fashion. Take the 'edit' action and notice that it is a single
element action compared to 'delete'.

A different situation exists for the 'rename' action since it is more of a
single element action, but can be presented as a bulk action as well if you
provide some kind of renaming template like '<prefix>_<number>'.

In other words, both the bulk operations toolbar and the actions column
have their right place in the livetable IMO and having a checkbox column
like Marius did for the FM livetable looks like the right way to go.

Thanks,
Eduard

> Guillaume
>

> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> > > 1/ The "create" button would generate a new entry, whereas the
> "actions"
> > > column is for actions that are related to individual entries that
> already
> > > exist
> > > 2/ The "actions" column can be removed by the livetable creator
> > > 3/ The toolbar would also be useful to handle bulk actions on pages
> such
> > as
> > > "delete selected entries" (as in the file manager)
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Guillaume
> > >
> > > Thanks,

> the
> > > same
> > in
> > > an
> solution.
> > > It's
> > don't
> > > > > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

> > location
> > specific
> next

> > > button,
> > > most
> > > EDIT,

> > :)),

> > > --
> > > Guillaume Lerouge
> > > guillaumelerouge.com <http://www.guillaumelerouge.com/>
> > > 06 10 79 76 70

> Venez nous rencontrer lors du *petit-déjeuner XWiki le mardi 7 octobre 2014
> !* <http://info.xwiki.com/petit-dejeuner-XWiki-octobre-2014.html>
> --
> <http://www.xwiki.com/>*Guillaume Lerouge*
> *Director of Sales & Marketing*
> Mail: [hidden email]
> Mobile:
> *+33 6 10 79 76 70*Tel: *+33 1 45 42 40 90*

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

after discussing with Vincent this morning we came to a suggestion that
would fix my issue with the current location of the add button. The idea
would be to move the search bar to the left of the menu, and put the "Add"
button in its place.

Crude image explanation here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrxlj6n6pztigic/AddButton-Search.png

This way the "Add" button is back in a global menu, not in a menu that is
contextual to the page, yet it stays very visible. In addition to this,
since "Create wiki" is visible only to authorized users, it's not too much
in the way. Last item: this solves the issue of having the "Edit" and "More
actions" buttons separated from one another.

WDYT?

Guillaume

On 1 Oct 2014 at 10:09:00, Guillaume Lerouge ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after discussing with Vincent this morning we came to a suggestion that
> would fix my issue with the current location of the add button. The idea
> would be to move the search bar to the left of the menu, and put the "Add"
> button in its place.
>
> Crude image explanation here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrxlj6n6pztigic/AddButton-Search.png
>
> This way the "Add" button is back in a global menu, not in a menu that is
> contextual to the page, yet it stays very visible. In addition to this,
> since "Create wiki" is visible only to authorized users, it's not too much
> in the way. Last item: this solves the issue of having the "Edit" and "More
> actions" buttons separated from one another.
>
> WDYT?

Sounds the best to me! :) I never really liked the move of the Create button in the page contextual menu (doesn’t make sense to me).

FYI here’s what they have for:
- confluence: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s119/sh/948c4f24-2485-4b33-8452-1e6e1a2d6c74/cff5f5253f8324d9dc760cb9380c61d9
- jira: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s119/sh/b8803c9b-4ea7-43dd-a2ed-1226080074f2/1f60d551a55a709cfc4aaca73dce9004

> Guillaume
> ᐧ
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Eduard Moraru wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Guillaume Lerouge
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > [hidden email]

> > this

> > problematic
> > page-related

> > livetables.
> > > We
> > > the

> > then
> > > :)
> > > > > > > >

> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/File+Manager+Application#HFileLiveTable

> > 'Actions'

> > > why:

> > > Actions
> > > >

> > > Great, this means that we agree on the fact that the "Actions" column
> > > should be replaced by a "Select" column with checkboxes in it, and also
> > > that Marius' horizontal livetable toolbar should be expanded to be used
> > in
> > > a generic fashion by all livetables :-)
> > >

> > Not completely replaced because not all operations/actions can be performed
> > in bulk fashion. Take the 'edit' action and notice that it is a single
> > element action compared to 'delete'.
> >
> > A different situation exists for the 'rename' action since it is more of a
> > single element action, but can be presented as a bulk action as well if you
> > provide some kind of renaming template like '_'.
> >
> > In other words, both the bulk operations toolbar and the actions column
> > have their right place in the livetable IMO and having a checkbox column
> > like Marius did for the FM livetable looks like the right way to go.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard
> >

> > > Guillaume

> > > "actions"
> > > already
> > > such

> > > the
> > this
> > > solution.
> > > > > > > >

> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

> > > next

> > the
> > contribute:

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
So basically, you want:
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/25ad0704-563e-41cd-bbf2-72c371912245.jpg

> [...]
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Eduard

> pages

> item of
> do
> > > this
> (that we
> > > > > > > > >

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

> (i.e.
> mind)

> Edit
> groups
> > > the
> > > contribute:

> quite an
> like

> see

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

Even better:
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/19c9c68f-9dae-440e-ad82-3b8a6cc4623a.jpg

[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> pages

>> item of
>> do
>> (that we
>> > > > > > > > >

>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Unique+Identification+Number+Module

>> new
>> language
>> (i.e.
>> mind)

>> the Edit
>> groups

>> quite an
>> I like

>> others see

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Discussion] New location of the "Add" menu in the new Flamingo skin

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> So basically, you want:
> http://tof.canardpc.com/view/25ad0704-563e-41cd-bbf2-72c371912245.jpg

That would be very cool yes :-)

Maybe we could launch a vote on this?

And as Edy pointed it out, the next step after this would be an improved
"create" action with more info about the context (list of spaces, list of
available templates...). With Flamingo, maybe we could also make that
"create" step a modal box (same as for the export button) rather than an
intermediate page.

Thanks,

Guillaume