Docker xwiki setup

Marcelo Martins
I have installed XWiki from docker as explained on docker hub xwiki
<https://hub.docker.com/_/xwiki/> , but I ran into a couple of issues when
it came to installing some extensions that required me to modify the
xwiki.cfg file or others within the webapps location.

So in order to overcome that I used docker cp to sync the tomcat directory
within the container to a location on the host. Then I also mapped that
host location into the container once I did docker run, much like the mysql
data volume mapping. I guess I probably should have just created a docker
volume first and then used that to map it to /usr/local/tomcat since the
docs says that will sync the data on the container back to the docker
volume. Haven't used docker volumes much so didn't think about it before.

So, since I assume that there are files within the tomcat webapps location
that may need to be modified,  due to extensions or perhaps something else,
shouldn't that be also made into a persistent volume ?

/opt/docker/host_volumes/
xwiki.org/xwiki_tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg

Marcelo

Re: Docker xwiki setup

Hi Marcelo,

> On 21 Apr 2017, at 05:53, Marcelo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have installed XWiki from docker as explained on docker hub xwiki
> <https://hub.docker.com/_/xwiki/> , but I ran into a couple of issues when
> it came to installing some extensions that required me to modify the
> xwiki.cfg file or others within the webapps location.
>
> So in order to overcome that I used docker cp to sync the tomcat directory
> within the container to a location on the host. Then I also mapped that
> host location into the container once I did docker run, much like the mysql
> data volume mapping. I guess I probably should have just created a docker
> volume first and then used that to map it to /usr/local/tomcat since the
> docs says that will sync the data on the container back to the docker
> volume. Haven't used docker volumes much so didn't think about it before.
>
> So, since I assume that there are files within the tomcat webapps location
> that may need to be modified,  due to extensions or perhaps something else,
> shouldn't that be also made into a persistent volume ?
>

> /opt/docker/host_volumes/
> xwiki.org/xwiki_tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg

Yes you’re correct. Right now in the instructions and in the dockerfile I’m mapping 2 directories so that they’re accessible on the host:
* The XWiki permanent directory
* The DB directory

I’ve just created a new jira issue to also map the 2 main configuration files you may want to modify:
* xwiki.cfg
* xwiki.properties

https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XDOCKER-20

I’ll work on that real soon.