Document Templates

Shiva Shankar
Hi
I am a relative newcomer to Xwiki, and still getting used to Classes, Objects etc. However, i have an urgent need for a knowledge base that is running on Xwiki.

In each space, i want any new page created to have the same structure. For ex:

1 XYZ Application
Introduction in to XYZ in a few sentences

1.1 How to use XYZ
1.1.1 Edit
1.1.1 Save

1.1 Troubleshooting
1.1.1 Login Not working
1.1.1 Save not working

1.1 References

Once a new page in this space is created, this code will be available by default. The user then modifies content retaining the structure.

This should be possible but i am not able to figure out how. These pages don't have any forms so am not sure whether i should use the includeform macro.
Any pointers to existing documentation would be very helpful.
Thanks
Shiva

Re: Document Templates

Hi Shiva,

On Apr 16, 2007, at 5:43 PM, shivshan wrote:

> Hi
> I am a relative newcomer to Xwiki, and still getting used to Classes,
> Objects etc. However, i have an urgent need for a knowledge base
> that is
> running on Xwiki.
>
> In each space, i want any new page created to have the same
> structure. For
> ex:
>
> 1 XYZ Application
> Introduction in to XYZ in a few sentences
>
> 1.1 How to use XYZ
> 1.1.1 Edit
> 1.1.1 Save
>
> 1.1 Troubleshooting
> 1.1.1 Login Not working
> 1.1.1 Save not working
>
> 1.1 References
>
> Once a new page in this space is created, this code will be
> available by
> default. The user then modifies content retaining the structure.
>
> This should be possible but i am not able to figure out how. These
> pages
> don't have any forms so am not sure whether i should use the
> includeform
> macro.
> Any pointers to existing documentation would be very helpful.
If you want the structure to be read only so that the users cannot
modify them you'll need to use forms as follows:

1) Create a Class. Say MyClass. Add the fields you need

2) Create a class sheet in which you use $doc.display("fieldname",
$obj) where obj is your Object. For example:
#set($obj = $doc.getObject("XWiki.XWikiUsers"))

For example in MyClassSheet:

#set($obj = $doc.getObject("XWiki.MyClass"))

1.1 How to use

$doc.display("howtouse", $obj)

1.1 Troubleshooting

3) Create a template document that is used when you create a new
document

For more help see the FAQ tutorial on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/
view/DevGuide/FAQTutorial