Dynamic lists

Stéphane Laurière
Hi XWiki devs,

At Mandriva we have the need for a class property type that would be
able to handle dynamic lists. Well, the DBList properties are already
dynamic, but we'd need something more dynamic.

Usage examples:
* apply some filter to a list of results fetched from the database,
* translate the DBList values returned by a SQL query before presenting
them to the user
* build lists from other sources than the database (from a web service
call etc.)

Such lists would be built by a Velocity or Groovy script, declared as an
attribute of the class property. What do you think of the feature? Do
you have any suggestion on the way it should be implemented? We could
either create a new Java type "DynamicList" + new wiki table
xwikidynlistclasses, inspired by the "DBList" Java type, or transform
the DBList into a "DynamicList" that would handle either Hibernate SQL
queries, or Velocity/Groovy scripts. That would be handy also to have
the possibility to specify the name of the document containing the
script to be executed, if the script is to be reused by several classes.

Stéphane and Christophe

Re: Dynamic lists

Ludovic Dubost

I think it is a great idea.. We also need to enhance the lists to have
different values in the id and in the test of lists (such lists should
also be internationalisable, so based on a dictionnary).
The other three types of lists need to be implemented (checkbox, etc..)..

It would make sense to make a nice spec of this and start implementing
I think the Groovy script should be put in the class itself.. If we need
some generic code, it should probably go into the XWiki API or a plugin..

Caching will be an issue to work on.. (caching is easy, expiration is
what makes it complex)

Ludovic

Stéphane Laurière wrote:

> Hi XWiki devs,
>
> At Mandriva we have the need for a class property type that would be
> able to handle dynamic lists. Well, the DBList properties are already
> dynamic, but we'd need something more dynamic.
>
> Usage examples:
> * apply some filter to a list of results fetched from the database,
> * translate the DBList values returned by a SQL query before presenting
> them to the user
> * build lists from other sources than the database (from a web service
> call etc.)
>
> Such lists would be built by a Velocity or Groovy script, declared as an
> attribute of the class property. What do you think of the feature? Do
> you have any suggestion on the way it should be implemented? We could
> either create a new Java type "DynamicList" + new wiki table
> xwikidynlistclasses, inspired by the "DBList" Java type, or transform
> the DBList into a "DynamicList" that would handle either Hibernate SQL
> queries, or Velocity/Groovy scripts. That would be handy also to have
> the possibility to specify the name of the document containing the
> script to be executed, if the script is to be reused by several classes.
>
> Stéphane and Christophe

Re: Dynamic lists

Hans Gerwitz
My 2¢: I think extending DBList into a "DynamicList" with scripts for displaying valid entries and validating input would be a nice addition.  Indeed, validation scripts should probably be attachable to any property.

Somewhat related, Ludovic has agreed in the past that we should extend XWiki classes to allow "method" scripts for lifecycle events; shame on me for not yet creating a JIRA task with this request.  Perhaps "get list values" and "validate property value" should be treated as methods?
- - -
Hans Gerwitz

On Jul 31, 2005, at 8:41 AM, Stéphane Laurière wrote:

[...]

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment