Editing with Wysiwyg

James Dougherty
I am having major difficulties with the Wysiwyg editor in both 1.3.2 and 1.4. If I use Wysiwyg, the text font displayed while in the editor is not the same as the final wiki page. Often I have several lines that are in a different font, even though they looked the same while using Wysiwyg. I am also finding random issues. For example, today I changed the font colour of an index page and lost all of the links. I am using a standard Toucan skin.

Is it common to have problems with the Wysiwg editor, or is there a fix I haven't found? I am finding I am spending as much time fixing the appearance of pages as writing them. Alternatively, is there another wiki with better editing.

Re: Editing with Wysiwyg

goldring, richard
James,

I too have issues with the WYSIWYG editor messing up pages. When it works -
its great, but when it seems to randomly mess you edits up - ahhh! It
doesn't seem to translate to wiki markup very well sometimes. I understand
there might be a new better WYSIWYG editor being developed perhaps maybe
available this September. Meantime I'd suggest using the wiki editor - it's
quite good when you get used to it and it doesn't mess up your pages
although it doesn't quite have all the features available that the WYSIWYG
editor.

Regards,

Richard

I am having major difficulties with the Wysiwyg editor in both 1.3.2 and
1.4.
If I use Wysiwyg, the text font displayed while in the editor is not the
same as the final wiki page. Often I have several lines that are in a
different font, even though they looked the same while using Wysiwyg. I am
also finding random issues. For example, today I changed the font colour of
an index page and lost all of the links. I am using a standard Toucan skin.

Is it common to have problems with the Wysiwg editor, or is there a fix I
haven't found? I am finding I am spending as much time fixing the appearance
of pages as writing them. Alternatively, is there another wiki with better
editing.

Thales UK Ltd (Wells) DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail
is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for
the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is
unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy,
circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in
this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful. We may monitor all
e-mail communications through our networks. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please inform us immediately on +44 (0) 1749 672081 and delete it
and all copies from your system. We accept no responsibility for changes to
any e-mail which occur after it has been sent.  Attachments to this e-mail
may contain software viruses which could damage your system.  We therefore
recommend you virus-check all attachments before opening. A business of
Thales UK Ltd. Registered Office: 2 Dashwood Lang Road, The Bourne Business
Park, Addlestone, Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2NX Registered in England No.
868273

Re: Editing with Wysiwyg

Shiva Shankar
Hi
I have been tearing my hair all of today trying to create a lengthy document in the WYSIWYG editor, so i totally agree :)
Here is one way to improve the WYSIWYG stability:
http://www.nabble.com/wysiwyg-editor-is-lame-tp16787052p16787052.html
However, i was thinking, until the new GWT editor is ready, would the bugs in the current editor be patched? I guess not but I could be wrong. This leaves "corporate users" with no choice till the GWT editor is ready, maybe end of the year.
A great option would be to improve the end user experience in the Wiki editor, IF the effort is not significant. Something on the lines of Dokuwiki, which has a toolbar for most Wiki editing functions so that the end user need not necessarily remember the Wiki syntax. (Image attached).

I dont really understand the complexity of implementing this though.
Shiva

goldring, richard wrote
James,

I too have issues with the WYSIWYG editor messing up pages. When it works -
its great, but when it seems to randomly mess you edits up - ahhh! It
doesn't seem to translate to wiki markup very well sometimes. I understand
there might be a new better WYSIWYG editor being developed perhaps maybe
available this September. Meantime I'd suggest using the wiki editor - it's
quite good when you get used to it and it doesn't mess up your pages
although it doesn't quite have all the features available that the WYSIWYG
editor.

Regards,

Richard

Re: Editing with Wysiwyg

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Shiva,

I have been tearing my hair all of today trying to create a lengthy document
> in the WYSIWYG editor, so i totally agree :)

We all agree. I you know of motivated, good GWT developers willing to work
on Open-Source Software Marius will be happy to hear from them :-)

> Here is one way to improve the WYSIWYG stability:
> http://www.nabble.com/wysiwyg-editor-is-lame-tp16787052p16787052.html
> http://www.nabble.com/wysiwyg-editor-is-lame-tp16787052p16787052.html
> However, i was thinking, until the new GWT editor is ready, would the bugs
> in the current editor be patched? I guess not but I could be wrong. This
> leaves "corporate users" with no choice till the GWT editor is ready, maybe
> end of the year.

We're all longing for the new WYSIWYG editor to progress, we'll keep you
informed of the steps in here.

> A great option would be to improve the end user experience in the Wiki
> editor, IF the effort is not significant. Something on the lines of
> Dokuwiki, which has a toolbar for most Wiki editing functions so that the
> end user need not necessarily remember the Wiki syntax. (Image attached).

I remember an user doing this some time ago. Check this :
http://www.nabble.com/Buttons-added-in-Wiki-Editor-toolbar-to12233625.html#a12233625for
instance.

I think you could even go for your own buttons as they look quite easy to
build on your own with minimal skills.

Guillaume