Export xwiki page to be seen on word

Abel Solórzano Astorga
Hi,

I want to export a xWiki page to be seen on word. I tried rtf export, but it
doesn't seem to be working. I got an rtf document, but when I open the
document on word it is incomplete. The tables aren't showed. Also, if I
tried to open the rtf on OpenOffice Writer it crashed.  I am also trying
with xoffice. It works better than rtf export. But the images on the page
aren't exported to the .doc file.
Is there something I could do to get the images on the resulting .doc file?

Thanks,

Abel

Re: Export xwiki page to be seen on word

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi Abel,

I can't help you with this specific issue (let's wait for someone else), but
I should mention that we have plans for a new word / pdf exporter:

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HExportToWordPDFthroughOpenOffice

This is a gsoc project and several students have already expressed their
interest on this project. This is a vital project for us and we'll make sure
that it becomes a success :)

Thanks.

- Asiri

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Abel Solórzano Astorga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to export a xWiki page to be seen on word. I tried rtf export, but
> it
> doesn't seem to be working. I got an rtf document, but when I open the
> document on word it is incomplete. The tables aren't showed. Also, if I
> tried to open the rtf on OpenOffice Writer it crashed.  I am also trying
> with xoffice. It works better than rtf export. But the images on the page
> aren't exported to the .doc file.
> Is there something I could do to get the images on the resulting .doc file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Abel

Re: Export xwiki page to be seen on word

Florin Ciubotaru

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Abel Solórzano Astorga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to export a xWiki page to be seen on word. I tried rtf export, but
> it
> doesn't seem to be working. I got an rtf document, but when I open the
> document on word it is incomplete. The tables aren't showed. Also, if I
> tried to open the rtf on OpenOffice Writer it crashed.  I am also trying
> with xoffice. It works better than rtf export. But the images on the page
> aren't exported to the .doc file.

XOffice creates a .html file that should display the images. Is it when you
save it as .doc that you can't see them?

Florin CIubotaru

> Is there something I could do to get the images on the resulting .doc file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Abel

Re: Export xwiki page to be seen on word

Abel Solórzano Astorga
Thank you for your response.

This is what I do:

1. I am connecting to the server as the Admin user.
2. On the Wiki Explorer I select the page I want to edit, right click on it
and then click on "Edit this page".

The page that is shown on word doesn't have images. Instead there is a box
with the following message: "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file
may have been moved, renamed or deleted. Verify that the link points to the
correct file and location."

The type of file on the word document is html.

By the way I am going to be waiting the new word / pdf exporter.

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Florin Ciubotaru <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Abel Solórzano Astorga <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to export a xWiki page to be seen on word. I tried rtf export, but
> > it
> > doesn't seem to be working. I got an rtf document, but when I open the
> > document on word it is incomplete. The tables aren't showed. Also, if I
> > tried to open the rtf on OpenOffice Writer it crashed.  I am also trying
> > with xoffice. It works better than rtf export. But the images on the page
> > aren't exported to the .doc file.
> >

> XOffice creates a .html file that should display the images. Is it when you
> save it as .doc that you can't see them?
>
> Florin CIubotaru
>

> > Is there something I could do to get the images on the resulting .doc
> file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Abel

Re: Export xwiki page to be seen on word

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

It would be great if you could log the XOffice issue to our issue tracker.
Then I will fix this in the following release.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Abel Solórzano Astorga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your response.
>
> This is what I do:
>
> 1. I am connecting to the server as the Admin user.
> 2. On the Wiki Explorer I select the page I want to edit, right click on it
> and then click on "Edit this page".
>
> The page that is shown on word doesn't have images. Instead there is a box
> with the following message: "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file
> may have been moved, renamed or deleted. Verify that the link points to the
> correct file and location."

I never saw this message before. Are your images attached files on your wiki
and does it happen on every page?
Also, please check if your document repository folder has edit rights. To do
that go to "XWord Options" -> Repository settings tab and select a folder
where you have write permissions.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

> The type of file on the word document is html.
>
> By the way I am going to be waiting the new word / pdf exporter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Florin Ciubotaru <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Abel Solórzano Astorga <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to export a xWiki page to be seen on word. I tried rtf export,
> but
> > > it
> > > doesn't seem to be working. I got an rtf document, but when I open the
> > > document on word it is incomplete. The tables aren't showed. Also, if I
> > > tried to open the rtf on OpenOffice Writer it crashed.  I am also
> trying
> > > with xoffice. It works better than rtf export. But the images on the
> page
> > > aren't exported to the .doc file.
> > >

> > XOffice creates a .html file that should display the images. Is it when
> you
> > save it as .doc that you can't see them?
> >
> > Florin CIubotaru
> >

> > > Is there something I could do to get the images on the resulting .doc
> > file?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Abel

Re: Export xwiki page to be seen on word

Abel Solórzano Astorga
Thanks Florin,

My images are attached files and it happens on every page.
I have edit rights on my document repository folder.

The problem is that the image is not been downloading (it is not inside the
folder). The link to the image on the html file is ok.

I am going to create the issue.

Thanks for your help,

Abel