FW: Scheduler

Esbach, Brandon
FW: Scheduler

Hi All,
A few queries that I've split up to make it easier to make use of in Nabble for future reference.

1) What language is used in the scheduler script?  I would assume it's running either velocity or groovy within the xwiki engine?

2) Are $xwiki and $context available to the script?
3) Is there feedback in the event of an error (like in a logfile or something)?
4) Is there a timeout associated to the script that runs, and are there any permission restrictions on adding the scheduler if it's going to be modifying document objects?

Re: FW: Scheduler

Jean-Vincent Drean
> 1) What language is used in the scheduler script?  I would assume it's
> running either velocity or groovy within the xwiki engine?

Groovy only

> 2) Are $xwiki and $context available to the script?

AFAIK a stub context is passed to the job. You should be able to call
$xwiki. (need confirmation)

> 3) Is there feedback in the event of an error (like in a logfile or
> something)?
> 4) Is there a timeout associated to the script that runs, and are there any
> permission restrictions on adding the scheduler if it's going to be
> modifying document objects?

Permissions at the job level : your job page have to be saved by a
user with programming rights
(and the SchedulerPlugin will always be able to modify your jobs).

Regards,
JV.

Re: FW: Scheduler

Esbach, Brandon
>> AFAIK a stub context is passed to the job. You should be able to call
$xwiki. (need confirmation)
This is kinda crucial, especially if I want the scheduler to actually do
anything in the wiki.
In my case, I'm going to be leaning on another groovy script (using
parseGroovyFromPage) in order to use some existing functionality, is
this possible?

> 1) What language is used in the scheduler script?  I would assume it's

> running either velocity or groovy within the xwiki engine?

Groovy only

> 2) Are $xwiki and $context available to the script?

AFAIK a stub context is passed to the job. You should be able to call
$xwiki. (need confirmation)

> 3) Is there feedback in the event of an error (like in a logfile or
> something)?
> 4) Is there a timeout associated to the script that runs, and are
> there any permission restrictions on adding the scheduler if it's
> going to be modifying document objects?

Permissions at the job level : your job page have to be saved by a user
with programming rights (and the SchedulerPlugin will always be able to
modify your jobs).

Regards,
JV.

Re: FW: Scheduler

Esbach, Brandon
Answering my own question and adding a caution..
Looks like it is accessable; I didn't hit the "schedule" link so it
naturally wasn't sending.
The parseGroovyFromPage works perfectly too, btw.

As a tool for xwiki I see scheduler features giving the system a big
boost in functionality.

Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> Permissions at the job level : your job page have to be saved by a
> user with programming rights
> (and the SchedulerPlugin will always be able to modify your jobs).

Then there's a problem with the Scheduler/Watchlist applications, as
they contain documents saved by Admin. If a wiki does not contain this
account, then nothing will work. What we can do:

1. Save them as superadmin.
2. Write in the installation guide that if if there is no Admin user,
then all the files must be manually saved by an user with programming
rights.

I'd go with 1, as most people don't read the Installation guide, and
they'll just post on the mailing list that the scheduler does not work...

Can somebody take care of this?

Sergiu

Re: FW: Scheduler

Jeremie

Hi,

The scheduler does not work ! ;-)

Regarding the remarks below, I'm using the Scheduler packaged with XE 1.2.

But I get the following error :

org.quartz.JobExecutionException: The user [XWiki.Admin] didn't have programming rights when the job [xwiki:Scheduler.JOBTimeLineFeed_0] was scheduled.
[...]

But :
- Admin account exists, as well as profile XWiki.Admin
- of course, it has admin&programming rights
- my job page was saved by the admin

So I don't understand why it does complain about missing programming rights ! ?

Thanks,
Jeremie

> Permissions at the job level : your job page have to be saved by a
> user with programming rights
> (and the SchedulerPlugin will always be able to modify your jobs).

Then there's a problem with the Scheduler/Watchlist applications, as
they contain documents saved by Admin. If a wiki does not contain this
account, then nothing will work. What we can do:

1. Save them as superadmin.
2. Write in the installation guide that if if there is no Admin user,
then all the files must be manually saved by an user with programming
rights.

I'd go with 1, as most people don't read the Installation guide, and
they'll just post on the mailing list that the scheduler does not work...

Can somebody take care of this?

Sergiu

Re: FW: Scheduler

Not sure why it's not working but I'"ve used the scheduler this
morning with XE 1.3RC1 and it worked fine FWIW.

-Vincent

On Mar 3, 2008, at 6:27 PM, BOUSQUET Jeremie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The scheduler does not work ! ;-)
>
> Regarding the remarks below, I'm using the Scheduler packaged with
> XE 1.2.
>
> But I get the following error :
>
> org.quartz.JobExecutionException: The user [XWiki.Admin] didn't have
> programming rights when the job [xwiki:Scheduler.JOBTimeLineFeed_0]
> was scheduled.
> [...]
>
> But :
> - Admin account exists, as well as profile XWiki.Admin
> - of course, it has admin&programming rights
> - my job page was saved by the admin
>
> So I don't understand why it does complain about missing programming
> rights ! ?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremie

Re: FW: Scheduler

BOUSQUET Jeremie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The scheduler does not work ! ;-)
>
> Regarding the remarks below, I'm using the Scheduler packaged with XE 1.2.
>
> But I get the following error :
>
> org.quartz.JobExecutionException: The user [XWiki.Admin] didn't have programming rights when the job [xwiki:Scheduler.JOBTimeLineFeed_0] was scheduled.
> [...]
>
> But :
> - Admin account exists, as well as profile XWiki.Admin
> - of course, it has admin&programming rights
> - my job page was saved by the admin
>
> So I don't understand why it does complain about missing programming rights ! ?

Is that a virtual wiki, with more than one wikis, or is it just a plain
wiki?

> Thanks,
> Jeremie

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: FW: Scheduler

Jeremie

I will try to reinstall it ... In fact I installed the Scheduler as an application in XE 1.1, then migrated to XE 1.2, so I'll reimport it to be sure.

There's no virtual wiki, it's the standard XE.