Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
Whenever I save a new class (app?) based wiki page (blog, FAQ or custom app) I get a red error at the bottom of the page that reads: "Failed to save the page. Reason: Server not responding" The strange thing is the page did save. Other than the error message nothing appears to be wrong.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this or where I should begin troubleshooting?

Regards,

Jesse

Re: Failed to Save Error

Marius Dumitru Florea
How do you save the class? "Save and Continue" or "Save and View"? You can
check using the browser's dev tools to see if there are any JavaScript
exceptions (in the JavaScript Console) or if there is any failed (XHR) HTTP
request in the Network tab.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Whenever I save a new class (app?) based wiki page (blog, FAQ or custom
> app) I get a red error at the bottom of the page that reads: "Failed to
> save the page. Reason: Server not responding" The strange thing is the page
> did save. Other than the error message nothing appears to be wrong.
>
> Any thoughts on what could be causing this or where I should begin
> troubleshooting?
>

> Regards,
>
> Jesse

Re: Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
The error occurs with both "Save & Continue" and "Save & View", though if I choose "Save & Continue" first it allows me to keep going after the error so I can then press "Save & View" without generating the error since the page now exists.

I checked the dev tools and it generated two errors.

1) SCRIPT1010: Expected identifier
2) SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Error 0x8007005, Access is denied.

The first seems unrelated but the second seems to be the issue. The Microsoft docs on this error mention API JSONP vs CORS support and calls to the REST API but unfortunately I am reaching the limit of my current technical skills. Thanks for your help so far, do you have any guidance for my next step?

Regards,

Jesse

> On Jan 31, 2017, at 9:53 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How do you save the class? "Save and Continue" or "Save and View"? You can
> check using the browser's dev tools to see if there are any JavaScript
> exceptions (in the JavaScript Console) or if there is any failed (XHR) HTTP
> request in the Network tab.
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Whenever I save a new class (app?) based wiki page (blog, FAQ or custom
>> app) I get a red error at the bottom of the page that reads: "Failed to
>> save the page. Reason: Server not responding" The strange thing is the page
>> did save. Other than the error message nothing appears to be wrong.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what could be causing this or where I should begin
>> troubleshooting?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Jesse

Re: Failed to Save Error

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The error occurs with both "Save & Continue" and "Save & View", though if
> I choose "Save & Continue" first it allows me to keep going after the error
> so I can then press "Save & View" without generating the error since the
> page now exists.
>
> I checked the dev tools and it generated two errors.
>
> 1) SCRIPT1010: Expected identifier
> 2) SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Error 0x8007005, Access is denied.
>
> The first seems unrelated but the second seems to be the issue. The
> Microsoft docs on this error mention API JSONP vs CORS support and calls to
> the REST API but unfortunately I am reaching the limit of my current
> technical skills. Thanks for your help so far, do you have any guidance for
> my next step?

Do you use HTTPS? Check if the protocol of the XMLHttpRequest matches the
protocol of the current page (i.e. both should be either HTTP or HTTPS).
You can also check the domain that appears in the URL of the
XMLHttpRequest. Does it match the domain from the current page URL?

> Regards,
>
> Jesse
>
> > On Jan 31, 2017, at 9:53 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How do you save the class? "Save and Continue" or "Save and View"? You
> can
> > check using the browser's dev tools to see if there are any JavaScript
> > exceptions (in the JavaScript Console) or if there is any failed (XHR)
> HTTP
> > request in the Network tab.
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Whenever I save a new class (app?) based wiki page (blog, FAQ or custom
> >> app) I get a red error at the bottom of the page that reads: "Failed to
> >> save the page. Reason: Server not responding" The strange thing is the
> page
> >> did save. Other than the error message nothing appears to be wrong.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts on what could be causing this or where I should begin
> >> troubleshooting?
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jesse

Re: Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
We are just http. The protocol and domain match. Here is a sample of the debugger text:

Failed to open http://codewiki.info/edit/Corrections/2016/CEC+210.52(E)(3)?template=Corrections.2016.2016Template&parent=Corrections.2016.WebHome

Regards,

Jesse

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The error occurs with both "Save & Continue" and "Save & View", though if
>> I choose "Save & Continue" first it allows me to keep going after the error
>> so I can then press "Save & View" without generating the error since the
>> page now exists.
>>
>> I checked the dev tools and it generated two errors.
>>
>> 1) SCRIPT1010: Expected identifier
>> 2) SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Error 0x8007005, Access is denied.
>>
>> The first seems unrelated but the second seems to be the issue. The
>> Microsoft docs on this error mention API JSONP vs CORS support and calls to
>> the REST API but unfortunately I am reaching the limit of my current
>> technical skills. Thanks for your help so far, do you have any guidance for
>> my next step?
>
> Do you use HTTPS? Check if the protocol of the XMLHttpRequest matches the
> protocol of the current page (i.e. both should be either HTTP or HTTPS).
> You can also check the domain that appears in the URL of the
> XMLHttpRequest. Does it match the domain from the current page URL?
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Jesse

>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How do you save the class? "Save and Continue" or "Save and View"? You
>> can
>>> check using the browser's dev tools to see if there are any JavaScript
>>> exceptions (in the JavaScript Console) or if there is any failed (XHR)
>> HTTP
>>> request in the Network tab.

>> page

Re: Failed to Save Error

Vishal
I too get this error when I create a new page and try to save it. I am currently using 8.4 but had the same issue in last version also. What I do then is, "Save and Continue", which is followed by error. Then "Save and View".

Re: Failed to Save Error

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We are just http. The protocol and domain match. Here is a sample of the
> debugger text:
>

> Failed to open http://codewiki.info/edit/Corrections/2016/CEC+210.52(E)
> (3)?template=Corrections.2016.2016Template&parent=Corrections.2016.WebHome

The problem could be related to the short URL configuration, which seems to
be enabled. Maybe there's a bug there. Maybe you can try to see if the
problem is still present when disabling the short URLs.

> Regards,
>
> Jesse
>
> > On Feb 1, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The error occurs with both "Save & Continue" and "Save & View", though
> if
> >> I choose "Save & Continue" first it allows me to keep going after the
> error
> >> so I can then press "Save & View" without generating the error since the
> >> page now exists.
> >>
> >> I checked the dev tools and it generated two errors.
> >>
> >> 1) SCRIPT1010: Expected identifier
> >> 2) SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Error 0x8007005, Access is denied.
> >>
> >> The first seems unrelated but the second seems to be the issue. The
> >> Microsoft docs on this error mention API JSONP vs CORS support and
> calls to
> >> the REST API but unfortunately I am reaching the limit of my current
> >> technical skills. Thanks for your help so far, do you have any guidance
> for
> >> my next step?
> >
> > Do you use HTTPS? Check if the protocol of the XMLHttpRequest matches the
> > protocol of the current page (i.e. both should be either HTTP or HTTPS).
> > You can also check the domain that appears in the URL of the
> > XMLHttpRequest. Does it match the domain from the current page URL?
> >

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jesse

> >> can
> >> HTTP

> custom
> >> page

Re: Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
Is there a quicker way to test this without reconfiguring the server? After looking over the documentation and my notes from configuration; removing the short url setup seems like a daunting task to me.

Regards,

Jesse

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 9:59 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> We are just http. The protocol and domain match. Here is a sample of the
>> debugger text:
>>

>> Failed to open http://codewiki.info/edit/Corrections/2016/CEC+210.52(E)
>> (3)?template=Corrections.2016.2016Template&parent=Corrections.2016.WebHome
>

> The problem could be related to the short URL configuration, which seems to
> be enabled. Maybe there's a bug there. Maybe you can try to see if the
> problem is still present when disabling the short URLs.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Jesse
>>
>>> On Feb 1, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> if
>> error

>> calls to
>> for
>>>
>>> Do you use HTTPS? Check if the protocol of the XMLHttpRequest matches the
>>> protocol of the current page (i.e. both should be either HTTP or HTTPS).
>>> You can also check the domain that appears in the URL of the
>>> XMLHttpRequest. Does it match the domain from the current page URL?

>> custom

Re: Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
So rather than undo the short url's on my existing server I decided it was time to upgrade, a project I had put off for some time. I did not configure the new server with short urls.

So I am now running the latest Ubuntu and Xwiki with the original database migrated over and the issue persists. Based on this, my best guess is I unknowingly changed permissions somehow but I don't know where to look. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jesse

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:00 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a quicker way to test this without reconfiguring the server? After looking over the documentation and my notes from configuration; removing the short url setup seems like a daunting task to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jesse
>

>> On Feb 1, 2017, at 9:59 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We are just http. The protocol and domain match. Here is a sample of the
>>> debugger text:
>>>

>>> Failed to open http://codewiki.info/edit/Corrections/2016/CEC+210.52(E)
>>> (3)?template=Corrections.2016.2016Template&parent=Corrections.2016.WebHome
>>

>> The problem could be related to the short URL configuration, which seems to
>> be enabled. Maybe there's a bug there. Maybe you can try to see if the
>> problem is still present when disabling the short URLs.
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Jesse

>>> if
>>> error

>>> calls to
>>> for

>>> custom

Re: Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
I recently noticed that I also get this error when creating pages from a template. I have been looking at tomcat security and nginx configuration setting but nothing seems to have an affect. Unfortunately because all my attempts are dead ends the only new information I have is the error report from chrome which is slightly different from IE:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/rest/jobstatus/refactoring/create/148776048030-333?media=json <http://127.0.0.1:8080/rest/jobstatus/refactoring/create/148776048030-333?media=json>  net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Thank you for any assistance or information that you can provide.

Regards,

Jesse

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 7:34 AM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So rather than undo the short url's on my existing server I decided it was time to upgrade, a project I had put off for some time. I did not configure the new server with short urls.
>
> So I am now running the latest Ubuntu and Xwiki with the original database migrated over and the issue persists. Based on this, my best guess is I unknowingly changed permissions somehow but I don't know where to look. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jesse
>
>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 6:00 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a quicker way to test this without reconfiguring the server? After looking over the documentation and my notes from configuration; removing the short url setup seems like a daunting task to me.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jesse
>>

>>> On Feb 1, 2017, at 9:59 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The problem could be related to the short URL configuration, which seems to
>>> be enabled. Maybe there's a bug there. Maybe you can try to see if the
>>> problem is still present when disabling the short URLs.

Re: Failed to Save Error

Jesse Bright
Wow, it was so obvious I can’t believe that I missed it. Marius was absolutely right about the short urls. I thought that I had removed them when I migrated servers but I forgot the remove xwiki as the ROOT Tomcat app. Once I corrected this my page creation and file save issues have been resolved.

So this was a misconfiguration on my part but the issue with short urls was there even when configured properly for that use. Should I report this issue?

Regards,

Jesse