[Feedback] Installation choices

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Feedback] Installation choices

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi Devs,

I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
page on xwiki.org:
Iteration 1
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png

Changes:
* Download renamed to Install
* Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
* Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
selected).

I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
imagine something similar for all the other packages.

What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?

Thanks,
Caty
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Feedback] Installation choices

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 5:59 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Devs,
>
> I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
> page on xwiki.org:
> Iteration 1
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png
>
> Changes:
> * Download renamed to Install
> * Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
> * Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
> package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
> selected).
>
> I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
> imagine something similar for all the other packages.
>
> What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?

I like the concept and it definitely look nice so sounds good to me.
+1 to continue playing with this idea.

Some comments:

* I'm not sure "Installation" is the right word for "Demo" vs
"Production" (if that's what you had in mind), maybe something that
looks more like "Use case" (or maybe it's just my poor English level
talking). I feel the whole page is about installation.
* I guess this way is going to hide more the demo packages (since I
doubt it will be selected by default), maybe that's a problem ?
* I would put the STABLE version first and selected by default since
that's the one we want people to test

>
> Thanks,
> Caty



--
Thomas Mortagne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Feedback] Installation choices

Simon Urli
In reply to this post by Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi Caty,

that's nice! I think it avoids the overwhelming of choosing what to
download on the current page presenting standard pack + zip + xip + war
+ docker, etc.

Now, I have some questions:

1. I don't understand the "OS" choice section: AFAIK except for the deb
package we don't have any related package. It's for displaying those in
case of debian / ubuntu is selected?

2. Currently we display the major changes along with the version in the
downloaded page: I don't see it anymore in your version. You plan to
completely discard this info there?

3. I don't understand why there are arrows on the version: you plan to
allow changing the LTS version? it wouldn't be the LTS anymore then, so
a bit confusing, no?

4. Shouldn't the dev version not be as big as the LTS / stable, since
it's not recommended? Or at least to discard the prod installation when
it's selected?

My 2 cents,
Simon



On 18/03/2019 17:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
> page on xwiki.org:
> Iteration 1
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png
>
> Changes:
> * Download renamed to Install
> * Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
> * Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
> package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
> selected).
>
> I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
> imagine something similar for all the other packages.
>
> What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

--
Simon Urli
Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Feedback] Installation choices

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 6:13 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Caty,
>
> that's nice! I think it avoids the overwhelming of choosing what to
> download on the current page presenting standard pack + zip + xip + war
> + docker, etc.
>
> Now, I have some questions:
>
> 1. I don't understand the "OS" choice section: AFAIK except for the deb
> package we don't have any related package. It's for displaying those in
> case of debian / ubuntu is selected?

Indeed the OS selection makes a lot of sense for Debian based systems
where the deb packaging makes it's an obvious recommended package.
It's less obvious for other OSes, unless the plan is to make Docker
part of the OS list (in which case it would be better to name it
"System" probably).

>
> 2. Currently we display the major changes along with the version in the
> downloaded page: I don't see it anymore in your version. You plan to
> completely discard this info there?
>
> 3. I don't understand why there are arrows on the version: you plan to
> allow changing the LTS version? it wouldn't be the LTS anymore then, so
> a bit confusing, no?

I understood it as showing details like what you are talking about in
2 but maybe I'm wrong.

>
> 4. Shouldn't the dev version not be as big as the LTS / stable, since
> it's not recommended? Or at least to discard the prod installation when
> it's selected?
>
> My 2 cents,
> Simon
>
>
>
> On 18/03/2019 17:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> > Hi Devs,
> >
> > I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
> > page on xwiki.org:
> > Iteration 1
> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png
> >
> > Changes:
> > * Download renamed to Install
> > * Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
> > * Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
> > package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
> > selected).
> >
> > I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
> > imagine something similar for all the other packages.
> >
> > What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
>
> --
> Simon Urli
> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com



--
Thomas Mortagne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Feedback] Installation choices

vmassol
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi Caty,

Sounds good generally. Some feedback:

* It seems verbose. I would put a single box for the version.
* Not sure what “installation” is. “Production” and “Demo”?
* I would have an order on the boxes. Production or Demo should come first for ex.
* If you choose Production then, I would prefill the version with the LTS version by default.
* The OS field should be auto-guessed
* The packaging will also be defined automatically based on the answer from installation & OS
* The version should be the last question since the packaging doesn’t depend on it. Actually it doesn’t even make sense for some packaging such as debian since you don’t download anything. But I guess the command line we show could specify the version.
* IMO it’s missing the concept of recommended packaging. So I would make the defined packaging be the recommended one and make it clear (for ex when you click the arrow you’ll see “Recommended Packaging” and then below “Other Packagings”.

Thanks!
-Vincent

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 17:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Devs,
>
> I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
> page on xwiki.org:
> Iteration 1
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png
>
> Changes:
> * Download renamed to Install
> * Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
> * Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
> package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
> selected).
>
> I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
> imagine something similar for all the other packages.
>
> What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Feedback] Installation choices

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 6:31 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Caty,
>
> Sounds good generally. Some feedback:
>
> * It seems verbose. I would put a single box for the version.
> * Not sure what “installation” is. “Production” and “Demo”?
> * I would have an order on the boxes. Production or Demo should come first for ex.
> * If you choose Production then, I would prefill the version with the LTS version by default.

> * The OS field should be auto-guessed

I'm really not sure about this one since it's a server software you
rarely want to install it on the OS you are browsing from.

> * The packaging will also be defined automatically based on the answer from installation & OS
> * The version should be the last question since the packaging doesn’t depend on it. Actually it doesn’t even make sense for some packaging such as debian since you don’t download anything. But I guess the command line we show could specify the version.
> * IMO it’s missing the concept of recommended packaging. So I would make the defined packaging be the recommended one and make it clear (for ex when you click the arrow you’ll see “Recommended Packaging” and then below “Other Packagings”.
>
> Thanks!
> -Vincent
>
> > On 18 Mar 2019, at 17:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Devs,
> >
> > I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
> > page on xwiki.org:
> > Iteration 1
> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png
> >
> > Changes:
> > * Download renamed to Install
> > * Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
> > * Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
> > package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
> > selected).
> >
> > I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
> > imagine something similar for all the other packages.
> >
> > What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
>


--
Thomas Mortagne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Feedback] Installation choices

vmassol
Administrator


> On 18 Mar 2019, at 18:40, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 6:31 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Caty,
>>
>> Sounds good generally. Some feedback:
>>
>> * It seems verbose. I would put a single box for the version.
>> * Not sure what “installation” is. “Production” and “Demo”?
>> * I would have an order on the boxes. Production or Demo should come first for ex.
>> * If you choose Production then, I would prefill the version with the LTS version by default.
>
>> * The OS field should be auto-guessed
>
> I'm really not sure about this one since it's a server software you
> rarely want to install it on the OS you are browsing from.

In the majority of cases it helps (when you want to install on your machine to test and that’s the typical use case when you’re in the “install” page).

It’s also what other server side software do and I’ve always found that very nice. It allows me to get the Mac packages when I do to download software and it’s a nice touch.

At worse, the first option proposed is not the one you want and you can choose another one, but it’ll match the os you’re on which is always better than random.

Thanks
-Vincent

>
>> * The packaging will also be defined automatically based on the answer from installation & OS
>> * The version should be the last question since the packaging doesn’t depend on it. Actually it doesn’t even make sense for some packaging such as debian since you don’t download anything. But I guess the command line we show could specify the version.
>> * IMO it’s missing the concept of recommended packaging. So I would make the defined packaging be the recommended one and make it clear (for ex when you click the arrow you’ll see “Recommended Packaging” and then below “Other Packagings”.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Vincent
>>
>>> On 18 Mar 2019, at 17:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>>
>>> I'm curious what you think about this direction for the Download / Install
>>> page on xwiki.org:
>>> Iteration 1
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Install/LDJEasierInstallationFlow/WebHome/Iteration1ZIP.png
>>>
>>> Changes:
>>> * Download renamed to Install
>>> * Form at the beginning to select the version, OS, type and package
>>> * Depending on the user selection, there is an option to Download the
>>> package, or you just get Installation steps (personalized for each option
>>> selected).
>>>
>>> I've iterated currently just for the ZIP package (for Demo+Mac), but
>>> imagine something similar for all the other packages.
>>>
>>> What do you think? Should I continue in this direction?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caty
>>
>
>
> --
> Thomas Mortagne