File Management Extension

pinkerp
I am interested in creating an easy to navigate document library.  I was thinking of using the File Manager Extension (as this is what it's built for) - but the documentation is light on some specifics.

-I am wondering if I can copy this to a new space (currently xwiki/bin/view/FileManager) and run multiple file libraries on the site, each with their own permissions (space based)?  When I copy the FileManager space to a new space, I get the warning that I need to migrate to the new structure.  Will this affect anything other than the specific space it is in?

-Also wondering if I can add a metadata field somehow?  One of the things I liked about using a file library in SP is the ability to list additional fields (ie. notes about why the file is important, contents, etc...) in the grid.  Is this easy to do?

Paul Pinkerton
ACLCO/ KnowledgeNow

Re: File Management Extension

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Paul Pinkerton (ACLCO) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am interested in creating an easy to navigate document library.  I was
> thinking of using the File Manager Extension (as this is what it's built
> for) - but the documentation is light on some specifics.
>

> -I am wondering if I can copy this to a new space (currently
> xwiki/bin/view/FileManager) and run multiple file libraries on the site,
> each with their own permissions (space based)?  When I copy the FileManager
> space to a new space, I get the warning that I need to migrate to the new
> structure.  Will this affect anything other than the specific space it is
> in?

No, it should affect only the current space. See
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/Migrator.xml#L80
.

> -Also wondering if I can add a metadata field somehow?  One of the things
> I liked about using a file library in SP is the ability to list additional
> fields (ie. notes about why the file is important, contents, etc...) in the
> grid.  Is this easy to do?

Adding meta data is fairly easy, by adding new properties to the FileClass
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/FileClass.xml
. Displaying and editing this meta data directly from the File Manager UI
is more complex, but you can do it relatively easy from the "file view"
(what you see when you click on a file from the files live table), by
editing FileSheet
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/FileSheet.xml#L258
.

Hope this helps,
Marius

> Paul Pinkerton
> ACLCO/ KnowledgeNow

Re: File Management Extension

pinkerp
Thanks for the advice, Marius.  I'm working through it.

I have discovered though that the right-click to access the menu doesn't seem to work in Chrome (55.0.2883.87 m).  It does work in Firefox (37.0.2) and in Internet Explorer (11.0.9600.18537).  Is this a known bug or abnormal behaviour?  Is there a fix?

Paul Pinkerton
KnowledgeNow Project/ ACLCO

wrote:

> I am interested in creating an easy to navigate document library.  I
> was thinking of using the File Manager Extension (as this is what it's
> built
> for) - but the documentation is light on some specifics.
>

> -I am wondering if I can copy this to a new space (currently
> xwiki/bin/view/FileManager) and run multiple file libraries on the
> site, each with their own permissions (space based)?  When I copy the
> FileManager space to a new space, I get the warning that I need to
> migrate to the new structure.  Will this affect anything other than
> the specific space it is in?

No, it should affect only the current space. See
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/Migrator.xml#L80
.

> -Also wondering if I can add a metadata field somehow?  One of the
> things I liked about using a file library in SP is the ability to list
> additional fields (ie. notes about why the file is important,
> contents, etc...) in the grid.  Is this easy to do?

Adding meta data is fairly easy, by adding new properties to the FileClass https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/FileClass.xml
. Displaying and editing this meta data directly from the File Manager UI is more complex, but you can do it relatively easy from the "file view"
(what you see when you click on a file from the files live table), by editing FileSheet
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/FileSheet.xml#L258
.

Hope this helps,
Marius

> Paul Pinkerton
> ACLCO/ KnowledgeNow

Re: File Management Extension

pinkerp
Wait - update.  I have copied the "FileManager" space into a new space (DocLibrary) to work on a document library.  In Chrome, the menu works in the FileManager space, but not in my new DocLibrary space.  The menu works just fine in other browsers and other functionality seems to be ok in the new space.

 Any insight would be appreciated.

wrote:

> I am interested in creating an easy to navigate document library.  I
> was thinking of using the File Manager Extension (as this is what it's
> built
> for) - but the documentation is light on some specifics.
>

> -I am wondering if I can copy this to a new space (currently
> xwiki/bin/view/FileManager) and run multiple file libraries on the
> site, each with their own permissions (space based)?  When I copy the
> FileManager space to a new space, I get the warning that I need to
> migrate to the new structure.  Will this affect anything other than
> the specific space it is in?

No, it should affect only the current space. See
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/Migrator.xml#L80
.

> -Also wondering if I can add a metadata field somehow?  One of the
> things I liked about using a file library in SP is the ability to list
> additional fields (ie. notes about why the file is important,
> contents, etc...) in the grid.  Is this easy to do?

Adding meta data is fairly easy, by adding new properties to the FileClass https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/FileClass.xml
. Displaying and editing this meta data directly from the File Manager UI is more complex, but you can do it relatively easy from the "file view"
(what you see when you click on a file from the files live table), by editing FileSheet
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-filemanager/blob/master/ui/src/main/resources/FileManagerCode/FileSheet.xml#L258
.

Hope this helps,
Marius

> Paul Pinkerton
> ACLCO/ KnowledgeNow

Re: File Management Extension

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Paul Pinkerton (ACLCO) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wait - update.  I have copied the "FileManager" space into a new space
> (DocLibrary) to work on a document library.  In Chrome, the menu works in
> the FileManager space, but not in my new DocLibrary space.  The menu works
> just fine in other browsers and other functionality seems to be ok in the
> new space.
>

>  Any insight would be appreciated.

Look for JavaScript errors in the browser console.