GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

Sai Teja Jammalamadaka
Hello.

My name is Sai Teja Jammalamadaka.
I'm a Student of Computer Science and Engineering (B.Tech.) at Vishnu
Institute of Technology, Bhimavaram, India.

I am interested to participate in GSOC this year.
I've taken a look at the ideas page, and I see that you are wanting to
develop a LDAP server using XWiki.

To be frank, I have never worked on an open source project before.
I have worked on Java based web projects which I've submitted for
Competitions like Oracle's ThinkQuest International Competition and IBM's
The Great Mind Challenge. I created a small side scrolling java game using
the JGame Java Library. So I do have a good exposure to the Java Language.
But I've never channeled my time into working with a public open source
project, as of yet.

What I've understood from discussing on IRC is that the project is to
implement an XWiki LDAP as a backend for user registration and groups for
XWiki. I think that it will provide me with a good challenge and at the
same time allow me to learn more about java, since I am a java programmer
at heart. One of my strong points is that I can analyse pieces of java code
with ease, so I feel that I will be able to get a good understanding of
XWiki during the community bonding period in May before the actual coding
starts.

I would like your advice and feedback.
I mean is there scope for you to select a project related to the LDAP
compared to other projects? And since I've never worked before on open
source projects, will that affect my chance of getting accepted? What else
can I do to overcome that drawback?

Eagerly Awaiting Your Reply,
Sai Teja Jammalamadaka,
Student of Computer Science and Engineering,
Vishnu Institute of Technology,
Bhimavaram, 534204
Andhra Pradesh
INDIA

Link to CV:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KNacfHUN6OamJwWGFuQ0FULWlmLUxab25yejhaQQ
Website: www.saiteja.in (undergoing maintenance)
Email: [hidden email]
IRC Nick: audiodevelop

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Sai Teja Jammalamadaka
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My name is Sai Teja Jammalamadaka.
> I'm a Student of Computer Science and Engineering (B.Tech.) at Vishnu
> Institute of Technology, Bhimavaram, India.
>
> I am interested to participate in GSOC this year.
> I've taken a look at the ideas page, and I see that you are wanting to
> develop a LDAP server using XWiki.
>
> To be frank, I have never worked on an open source project before.
> I have worked on Java based web projects which I've submitted for
> Competitions like Oracle's ThinkQuest International Competition and IBM's
> The Great Mind Challenge. I created a small side scrolling java game using
> the JGame Java Library. So I do have a good exposure to the Java Language.
> But I've never channeled my time into working with a public open source
> project, as of yet.
>
> What I've understood from discussing on IRC is that the project is to
> implement an XWiki LDAP as a backend for user registration and groups for
> XWiki.

To say it another way, the idea is to allow communicating with XWiki
using LDAP protocol. With a main target for the GSOC on user
authentication and group management.

> I think that it will provide me with a good challenge and at the
> same time allow me to learn more about java, since I am a java programmer
> at heart. One of my strong points is that I can analyse pieces of java code
> with ease, so I feel that I will be able to get a good understanding of
> XWiki during the community bonding period in May before the actual coding
> starts.
>
> I would like your advice and feedback.
> I mean is there scope for you to select a project related to the LDAP
> compared to other projects? And since I've never worked before on open
> source projects, will that affect my chance of getting accepted? What else
> can I do to overcome that drawback?

The fact that you never worked on an open source project is not
directly relevant for me but it imply that we can't see code you wrote
which make it harder for us to really see what you can do.

As suggested on
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/student+application+form
if you don't have any code to show (and even if you have) the best is
to provide pull requests for some issues on http://jira.xwiki.org
(best being to choose issue related to what you plan to work on like
LDAP authenticator or user/group management in general).

> Eagerly Awaiting Your Reply,
> Sai Teja Jammalamadaka,
> Student of Computer Science and Engineering,
> Vishnu Institute of Technology,
> Bhimavaram, 534204
> Andhra Pradesh
> INDIA
>
> Link to CV:
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KNacfHUN6OamJwWGFuQ0FULWlmLUxab25yejhaQQ
> Website: www.saiteja.in (undergoing maintenance)
> Email: [hidden email]
> IRC Nick: audiodevelop

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

sasinda
Hi Teja,

You can try with JNDI to call LDAP
You may need to modify the action servlet for  authentication.( XWiki is
using struts front controller framework).Or may be you can use an
intercepting filter (don't think its possible there). Thomas will give you
more info. I am just suggesting an approach. I am a student like you are
here. Don't worry I am not proposing for LDAP project.

Regards
Sasinda Rukshan.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> if you don't have any code to show (and even if you have) the best is
> to provide pull requests for some issues on http://jira.xwiki.org
> (best being to choose issue related to what you plan to work on like
> LDAP authenticator or user/group management in general).
>

> > Eagerly Awaiting Your Reply,
> > Sai Teja Jammalamadaka,
> > Student of Computer Science and Engineering,
> > Vishnu Institute of Technology,
> > Bhimavaram, 534204
> > Andhra Pradesh
> > INDIA
> >
> > Link to CV:
> >
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KNacfHUN6OamJwWGFuQ0FULWlmLUxab25yejhaQQ
> > Website: www.saiteja.in (undergoing maintenance)
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > IRC Nick: audiodevelop

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

I think the main challenge here is that LDAP is not HTTP so you can't
count on classical Servlet way of communicating with XWiki like it's
done for everything right now (UI, WebDAV, REST, XML-RPC, etc.) so the
first thing will be to find a way to access XWiki with another
protocol than HTTP without it to be a pain to setup.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> if you don't have any code to show (and even if you have) the best is
>> to provide pull requests for some issues on http://jira.xwiki.org
>> (best being to choose issue related to what you plan to work on like
>> LDAP authenticator or user/group management in general).
>>

>> > Eagerly Awaiting Your Reply,
>> > Sai Teja Jammalamadaka,
>> > Student of Computer Science and Engineering,
>> > Vishnu Institute of Technology,
>> > Bhimavaram, 534204
>> > Andhra Pradesh
>> > INDIA
>> >
>> > Link to CV:
>> >
>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KNacfHUN6OamJwWGFuQ0FULWlmLUxab25yejhaQQ
>> > Website: www.saiteja.in (undergoing maintenance)
>> > Email: [hidden email]
>> > IRC Nick: audiodevelop

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi,

May be embed ApacheDS into XWiki:
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/41-embedding-apacheds-into-an-application.html
 ?

Note that I'm not familiar with LDAP, may be I'm wrong.

Cheers!

- Asiri

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I think the main challenge here is that LDAP is not HTTP so you can't
> count on classical Servlet way of communicating with XWiki like it's
> done for everything right now (UI, WebDAV, REST, XML-RPC, etc.) so the
> first thing will be to find a way to access XWiki with another
> protocol than HTTP without it to be a pain to setup.
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM, sasinda rukshan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Teja,
> >
> > You can try with JNDI to call LDAP
> > You may need to modify the action servlet for  authentication.( XWiki is
> > using struts front controller framework).Or may be you can use an
> > intercepting filter (don't think its possible there). Thomas will give
> you
> > more info. I am just suggesting an approach. I am a student like you are
> > here. Don't worry I am not proposing for LDAP project.
> >
> > Regards
> > Sasinda Rukshan.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:

> IBM's
> >> using
> >> Language.
> source

> for
> >>
> >> To say it another way, the idea is to allow communicating with XWiki
> >> using LDAP protocol. With a main target for the GSOC on user
> >> authentication and group management.

> programmer
> >> code
> of
> coding

> >> else
> >>
> >> The fact that you never worked on an open source project is not
> >> directly relevant for me but it imply that we can't see code you wrote
> >> which make it harder for us to really see what you can do.
> >>
> >> As suggested on
> >>

> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/student+application+form
> >> if you don't have any code to show (and even if you have) the best is
> >> to provide pull requests for some issues on http://jira.xwiki.org
> >> (best being to choose issue related to what you plan to work on like
> >> LDAP authenticator or user/group management in general).

> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KNacfHUN6OamJwWGFuQ0FULWlmLUxab25yejhaQQ
> >>

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

Yep ApacheDS is a good candidate to at least get inspiration and reuse
as much as possible since it's recent and full Java. But remain the
fact that ideally it would be nice to not have to install ApacheDS
complete server and configure it to change its backend (if that's even
possible) and instead just put an XWiki module (and dependencies)
which works without any configuration like you get REST interface or
Webdav interface for example. Said another way the idea is to do an
XWiki extension, not a ApacheDS extension ;)

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Asiri Rathnayake

> May be embed ApacheDS into XWiki:
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/41-embedding-apacheds-into-an-application.html
>  ?
>
> Note that I'm not familiar with LDAP, may be I'm wrong.
>
> Cheers!
>
> - Asiri
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I think the main challenge here is that LDAP is not HTTP so you can't
>> count on classical Servlet way of communicating with XWiki like it's
>> done for everything right now (UI, WebDAV, REST, XML-RPC, etc.) so the
>> first thing will be to find a way to access XWiki with another
>> protocol than HTTP without it to be a pain to setup.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM, sasinda rukshan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Teja,
>> >
>> > You can try with JNDI to call LDAP
>> > You may need to modify the action servlet for  authentication.( XWiki is
>> > using struts front controller framework).Or may be you can use an
>> > intercepting filter (don't think its possible there). Thomas will give
>> you
>> > more info. I am just suggesting an approach. I am a student like you are
>> > here. Don't worry I am not proposing for LDAP project.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Sasinda Rukshan.

>> IBM's
>> source

>> for

>> programmer
>> of
>> coding

>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/student+application+form

>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3KNacfHUN6OamJwWGFuQ0FULWlmLUxab25yejhaQQ

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

Sai Teja Jammalamadaka
Sorry for the late reply,

What about OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/
Though its written in C, I think the source may provide a good example of
what to implement in XWiki. I'm planning to write a proposal using this
information.
Any feedback?

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sai Teja Jammalamadaka
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply,
>
> What about OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/
> Though its written in C, I think the source may provide a good example of
> what to implement in XWiki. I'm planning to write a proposal using this
> information.
> Any feedback?

ApacheDS is Open Source and written in Java so I'm sure it will be way
more useful than OpenLDAP here. It's probably even possible to reuse
modules of this project and you should try to reuse as much as
possible.

Re: GSOC-2012 LDAP Server Implementation

Sai Teja Jammalamadaka
Yes you are right, I kind of overlooked that, thanks!
(Sorry, We are having exams right now, so couldn't focus correctly)

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sai Teja Jammalamadaka
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sorry for the late reply,
> >
> > What about OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/
> > Though its written in C, I think the source may provide a good example of
> > what to implement in XWiki. I'm planning to write a proposal using this
> > information.
> > Any feedback?
>
> ApacheDS is Open Source and written in Java so I'm sure it will be way
> more useful than OpenLDAP here. It's probably even possible to reuse
> modules of this project and you should try to reuse as much as
> possible.

 - - - SaiTeja   :)