GSOC 2012

12

GSOC 2012

savitha sundaramurthy
Dear Team XWiki

            I'm Savitha doing my MS in Computer science at Arizona State
University. I'm really excited to contribute to open
source community through XWiki GSOC 2012. I'm interested in the project *SOLR
search component*.
I have worked in lot of Java Projects and have a good standing in it. I've
downloaded and built the Xwiki source code
as per the instructions. Right now I'm going through the documentation of
SOLR and trying to play around with XWiki Enterprise .
Looking forward to this opportunity.

Savitha

Re: GSOC 2012

Paul Libbrecht-2
Hey Savitha,

I'm happy to hear this.
Do you have some basics of information retrieval?
Have you followed some such courses for example?
Do you know the tf-idf formula?

paul

Le 22 mars 2012 à 17:29, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> Dear Team XWiki
>
>            I'm Savitha doing my MS in Computer science at Arizona State
> University. I'm really excited to contribute to open
> source community through XWiki GSOC 2012. I'm interested in the project *SOLR
> search component*.
> I have worked in lot of Java Projects and have a good standing in it. I've
> downloaded and built the Xwiki source code
> as per the instructions. Right now I'm going through the documentation of
> SOLR and trying to play around with XWiki Enterprise .
> Looking forward to this opportunity.

> Savitha

Re: GSOC 2012

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi Paul,

          I have taken a course on Information retrieval and data mining
this semester. Actually,  I'm mid way through this course which will be
completed by end of April. I am aware of Tf* Idf formula which is used for
finding documentation similarity.

--
best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012

Paul Libbrecht-2
Savitha,

I am not very experienced in the working of of Google Summer of Code.

As far as I know, we are now in a period where you need to prove your skills.
- please answer the little questionnaire
- please try a checkout of the solr component that Fabio started and see if you can enhance it a little. The simplest is to do a pull request, I think; we want to see it.

paul

Le 22 mars 2012 à 17:59, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> Hi Paul,
>
>          I have taken a course on Information retrieval and data mining
> this semester. Actually,  I'm mid way through this course which will be
> completed by end of April. I am aware of Tf* Idf formula which is used for
> finding documentation similarity.
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM, savitha sundaramurthy <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Team XWiki
>>
>>            I'm Savitha doing my MS in Computer science at Arizona State
>> University. I'm really excited to contribute to open
>> source community through XWiki GSOC 2012. I'm interested in the project *SOLR
>> search component*.
>> I have worked in lot of Java Projects and have a good standing in it. I've
>> downloaded and built the Xwiki source code
>> as per the instructions. Right now I'm going through the documentation of
>> SOLR and trying to play around with XWiki Enterprise .
>> Looking forward to this opportunity.

>> Savitha
>>

> --
> best regards,
> Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012

Paul Libbrecht-2
Savitha,

a good idea for this project would be to attack the Lucene plugin. A relatively old plugin of XWiki which offers good services but has a few drawbacks.
You could then review a bit the bugs related to it to see:
- if you could suggest fixes.
- if you could respond by saying "look my solr will respond to it"
E.g. XWIKI-6226 ?

paul

PS: I forgot to say, your academic profile looks ok to my eyes wrt the expectations.

Le 22 mars 2012 à 21:11, Paul Libbrecht a écrit :

> Savitha,
>
> I am not very experienced in the working of of Google Summer of Code.
>
> As far as I know, we are now in a period where you need to prove your skills.
> - please answer the little questionnaire
> - please try a checkout of the solr component that Fabio started and see if you can enhance it a little. The simplest is to do a pull request, I think; we want to see it.
>
> paul
>

> Le 22 mars 2012 à 17:59, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>         I have taken a course on Information retrieval and data mining
>> this semester. Actually,  I'm mid way through this course which will be
>> completed by end of April. I am aware of Tf* Idf formula which is used for
>> finding documentation similarity.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM, savitha sundaramurthy <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Team XWiki
>>>
>>>           I'm Savitha doing my MS in Computer science at Arizona State
>>> University. I'm really excited to contribute to open
>>> source community through XWiki GSOC 2012. I'm interested in the project *SOLR
>>> search component*.
>>> I have worked in lot of Java Projects and have a good standing in it. I've
>>> downloaded and built the Xwiki source code
>>> as per the instructions. Right now I'm going through the documentation of
>>> SOLR and trying to play around with XWiki Enterprise .
>>> Looking forward to this opportunity.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Savitha
>>>

>> --
>> best regards,
>> Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012

Eduard Moraru
Hi Savitha, Paul

Re GSoC, check out the timeline [1]. We're just finishing the "Would-be
student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring
organizations." period and, beginning with March 26 19:00 UTC, the actual
"Student application period opens."

So, Savitha, you can soon start to officially apply. Just make sure, as
Paul mentioned above, you get to show us some of your code before the
student application period ends (6th of April).

Thanks,
Eduard

----------
[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> expectations.
>

> Le 22 mars 2012 à 21:11, Paul Libbrecht a écrit :
>
> > Savitha,
> >
> > I am not very experienced in the working of of Google Summer of Code.
> >
> > As far as I know, we are now in a period where you need to prove your
> skills.
> > - please answer the little questionnaire
> > - please try a checkout of the solr component that Fabio started and see
> if you can enhance it a little. The simplest is to do a pull request, I
> think; we want to see it.
> >
> > paul
> >

> > Le 22 mars 2012 à 17:59, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >>         I have taken a course on Information retrieval and data mining
> >> this semester. Actually,  I'm mid way through this course which will be
> >> completed by end of April. I am aware of Tf* Idf formula which is used

Re: GSOC 2012

savitha sundaramurthy
Hey Paul,

          I have forked the Solr code and am trying to fix the issue xwiki
6226.
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226. Once my midterm is done tomorrow ,
I'll start with the GSOC application in full swing.

Thanking you,
Savitha.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Savitha, Paul
>
> Re GSoC, check out the timeline [1]. We're just finishing the "Would-be
> student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring
> organizations." period and, beginning with March 26 19:00 UTC, the actual
> "Student application period opens."
>
> So, Savitha, you can soon start to officially apply. Just make sure, as
> Paul mentioned above, you get to show us some of your code before the
> student application period ends (6th of April).
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> ----------
> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Savitha,
> >
> > a good idea for this project would be to attack the Lucene plugin. A
> > relatively old plugin of XWiki which offers good services but has a few
> > drawbacks.
> > You could then review a bit the bugs related to it to see:
> > - if you could suggest fixes.
> > - if you could respond by saying "look my solr will respond to it"
> > E.g. XWIKI-6226 ?
> >
> > paul
> >
> > PS: I forgot to say, your academic profile looks ok to my eyes wrt the
> > expectations.
> >

> > Le 22 mars 2012 à 21:11, Paul Libbrecht a écrit :
> >
> > > Savitha,
> > >
> > > I am not very experienced in the working of of Google Summer of Code.
> > >
> > > As far as I know, we are now in a period where you need to prove your
> > skills.
> > > - please answer the little questionnaire
> > > - please try a checkout of the solr component that Fabio started and
> see
> > if you can enhance it a little. The simplest is to do a pull request, I
> > think; we want to see it.
> > >
> > > paul

> be
> > for

> State
> > project *SOLR
> > I've
> documentation
> > of

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012

Paul Libbrecht-2
savitha,

sorry, I forgot about the deadline.
Just be sure that you  mss no step in the timeline.

paul

Le 26 mars 2012 à 20:27, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> Hey Paul,
>
>          I have forked the Solr code and am trying to fix the issue xwiki
> 6226.
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226. Once my midterm is done tomorrow ,
> I'll start with the GSOC application in full swing.
>
> Thanking you,
> Savitha.
>

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Savitha, Paul
>>
>> Re GSoC, check out the timeline [1]. We're just finishing the "Would-be
>> student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring
>> organizations." period and, beginning with March 26 19:00 UTC, the actual
>> "Student application period opens."
>>
>> So, Savitha, you can soon start to officially apply. Just make sure, as
>> Paul mentioned above, you get to show us some of your code before the
>> student application period ends (6th of April).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eduard
>>
>> ----------
>> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Savitha,
>>>
>>> a good idea for this project would be to attack the Lucene plugin. A
>>> relatively old plugin of XWiki which offers good services but has a few
>>> drawbacks.
>>> You could then review a bit the bugs related to it to see:
>>> - if you could suggest fixes.
>>> - if you could respond by saying "look my solr will respond to it"
>>> E.g. XWIKI-6226 ?
>>>
>>> paul
>>>
>>> PS: I forgot to say, your academic profile looks ok to my eyes wrt the
>>> expectations.

>>> skills.
>> see
>>> if you can enhance it a little. The simplest is to do a pull request, I
>>> think; we want to see it.

>> be
>>> for

>> State
>>> project *SOLR
>>> I've
>> documentation
>>> of

> best regards,
> Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012

savitha sundaramurthy
Dear Paul,

     Sure. I'm keeping track of it.

Thanking you,
Savitha.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> savitha,
>
> sorry, I forgot about the deadline.
> Just be sure that you  mss no step in the timeline.
>
> paul
>

> Le 26 mars 2012 à 20:27, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>
> > Hey Paul,
> >
> >          I have forked the Solr code and am trying to fix the issue xwiki
> > 6226.
> > http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226. Once my midterm is done
> tomorrow ,
> > I'll start with the GSOC application in full swing.
> >
> > Thanking you,
> > Savitha.
> >

> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Savitha, Paul
> >>
> >> Re GSoC, check out the timeline [1]. We're just finishing the "Would-be
> >> student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring
> >> organizations." period and, beginning with March 26 19:00 UTC, the
> actual
> >> "Student application period opens."
> >>
> >> So, Savitha, you can soon start to officially apply. Just make sure, as
> >> Paul mentioned above, you get to show us some of your code before the
> >> student application period ends (6th of April).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Eduard
> >>
> >> ----------
> >> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

> >> see

> >> be
> used

> >> State
> it.
> >> documentation

> > best regards,
> > Savitha.s

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi,

   I tried to fix the bug  http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226 . But it
looks like it is already fixed. So was wondering to take up some other
issue and fix it.

Thanking you,
Savitha.

--
best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012 - SOLR component

Paul Libbrecht-2

Savitha,

(I changed the subject, there's an amount that would have had the same subject otherwise)

Can you say more about why it is fixed?
Do you see configurable *per language* analyzers somewhere?
Or do you mean the Lucene 4.0 fix is already working for you in XWiki?
The xwiki issue is clearly not marked as fixed.

On:
  https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-search/xwiki-platform-search-lucene/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/plugin/lucene/LucenePlugin.java
I can still read:
     private static final String DEFAULT_ANALYZER = "org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardAnalyzer";

Is your fork observable somewhere?

thanks in advance

Paul

Le 29 mars 2012 à 18:35, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>   I tried to fix the bug  http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226 . But it
> looks like it is already fixed. So was wondering to take up some other
> issue and fix it.
>
> Thanking you,
> Savitha.
>

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM, savitha sundaramurthy <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Paul,
>>
>>     Sure. I'm keeping track of it.
>>
>> Thanking you,
>> Savitha.
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> savitha,
>>>
>>> sorry, I forgot about the deadline.
>>> Just be sure that you  mss no step in the timeline.
>>>
>>> paul

>>> xwiki
>>> tomorrow ,

>>> actual

>>> few

>>> mining
>>> used

>>> it.

>> best regards,
>> Savitha.s
>>

> --
> best regards,
> Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012 - SOLR component

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi Paul,

         It is fixed in version 3.1 and above. I checked in Xwiki search
giving test and test's , it worked perfectly fine. I also wrote a small
code to check it. These are the links:

Code:
http://pastebin.com/J8YqAM6k

Result:
http://pastebin.com/rE42N9vw

I couldn't be very much active in IRC because of the time difference. In
the holidays I wouldn't have any problem.

Thanking you,
Savitha.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Savitha,
>
> (I changed the subject, there's an amount that would have had the same
> subject otherwise)
>
> Can you say more about why it is fixed?
> Do you see configurable *per language* analyzers somewhere?
> Or do you mean the Lucene 4.0 fix is already working for you in XWiki?
> The xwiki issue is clearly not marked as fixed.
>
> On:
>
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-search/xwiki-platform-search-lucene/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/plugin/lucene/LucenePlugin.java
> I can still read:
>     private static final String DEFAULT_ANALYZER =
> "org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardAnalyzer";
>
> Is your fork observable somewhere?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Paul
>

> Le 29 mars 2012 à 18:35, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I tried to fix the bug  http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226 . But
> it
> > looks like it is already fixed. So was wondering to take up some other
> > issue and fix it.
> >
> > Thanking you,
> > Savitha.
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM, savitha sundaramurthy <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Paul,
> >>
> >>     Sure. I'm keeping track of it.
> >>
> >> Thanking you,
> >> Savitha.

> "Would-be

> as

> the

> Code.

> your
> and
> request,

> will

> >> --
> >> best regards,
> >> Savitha.s
> >>

> > --
> > best regards,
> > Savitha.s

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012 - SOLR component

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 03/29/2012 10:45 PM, savitha sundaramurthy wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>           It is fixed in version 3.1 and above. I checked in Xwiki search
> giving test and test's , it worked perfectly fine. I also wrote a small
> code to check it. These are the links:

That's not what the issue is about. It does say that "test" and "test's"
return the same number of results, which is normal, but that it doesn't
work correctly for French words like "l'arbre" which should ignore the
"l'" part and instead search for "arbre", since that is the French way
of saying "the tree".

> Code:
> http://pastebin.com/J8YqAM6k
>
> Result:
> http://pastebin.com/rE42N9vw
>
> I couldn't be very much active in IRC because of the time difference. In
> the holidays I wouldn't have any problem.
>
> Thanking you,
> Savitha.
>

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Paul Libbrecht<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> Savitha,
>>
>> (I changed the subject, there's an amount that would have had the same
>> subject otherwise)
>>
>> Can you say more about why it is fixed?
>> Do you see configurable *per language* analyzers somewhere?
>> Or do you mean the Lucene 4.0 fix is already working for you in XWiki?
>> The xwiki issue is clearly not marked as fixed.
>>
>> On:
>>
>> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-search/xwiki-platform-search-lucene/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/plugin/lucene/LucenePlugin.java
>> I can still read:
>>      private static final String DEFAULT_ANALYZER =
>> "org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardAnalyzer";
>>
>> Is your fork observable somewhere?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> Le 29 mars 2012 à 18:35, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>    I tried to fix the bug  http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6226 . But
>> it
>>> looks like it is already fixed. So was wondering to take up some other
>>> issue and fix it.
>>>
>>> Thanking you,
>>> Savitha.

>> "Would-be

>> as

>> the

>> Code.

>> your
>> and
>> request,

>> will

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: GSOC 2012 - SOLR component

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi sergiu,

            Oh I get it now. I'll work on that.

Thanking you,
Savitha.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/29/2012 10:45 PM, savitha sundaramurthy wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>          It is fixed in version 3.1 and above. I checked in Xwiki search
>> giving test and test's , it worked perfectly fine. I also wrote a small
>> code to check it. These are the links:
>>

> That's not what the issue is about. It does say that "test" and "test's"
> return the same number of results, which is normal, but that it doesn't
> work correctly for French words like "l'arbre" which should ignore the "l'"
> part and instead search for "arbre", since that is the French way of saying
> "the tree".
>

>  Code:
>> http://pastebin.com/J8YqAM6k
>>
>> Result:
>> http://pastebin.com/rE42N9vw
>>
>> I couldn't be very much active in IRC because of the time difference. In
>> the holidays I wouldn't have any problem.
>>
>> Thanking you,
>> Savitha.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Paul Libbrecht<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> Savitha,
>>>
>>> (I changed the subject, there's an amount that would have had the same
>>> subject otherwise)
>>>
>>> Can you say more about why it is fixed?
>>> Do you see configurable *per language* analyzers somewhere?
>>> Or do you mean the Lucene 4.0 fix is already working for you in XWiki?
>>> The xwiki issue is clearly not marked as fixed.
>>>
>>> On:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/xwiki/**xwiki-platform/blob/master/**
>>> xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-**platform-search/xwiki-**
>>> platform-search-lucene/src/**main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/**
>>> plugin/lucene/LucenePlugin.**java<https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-search/xwiki-platform-search-lucene/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/plugin/lucene/LucenePlugin.java>
>>> I can still read:
>>>     private static final String DEFAULT_ANALYZER =
>>> "org.apache.lucene.analysis.**standard.StandardAnalyzer";
>>>
>>> Is your fork observable somewhere?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>>> Le 29 mars 2012 à 18:35, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>>>
>>>  Hi,

>>> it

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: GSOC 2012 - SOLR component

Paul Libbrecht-2

Le 30 mars 2012 à 05:15, Sergiu Dumitriu a écrit :
> On 03/29/2012 10:45 PM, savitha sundaramurthy wrote:
>> giving test and test's , it worked perfectly fine. I also wrote a small
>> code to check it. These are the links:
> That's not what the issue is about. It does say that "test" and "test's" return the same number of results, which is normal, but that it doesn't work correctly for French words like "l'arbre" which should ignore the "l'" part and instead search for "arbre", since that is the French way of saying "the tree".

Correct,

For this, the right analyzer, that selects the right language, should be used.
The related Lucene issue, that is indeed since Lucene 3.1, needs to be integrated properly.
To my experience, which goes back as far as Lucene 1, there was never a way to pass a language to an analyzer, so I'm thrilled to see how this will work ;-).

Le 30 mars 2012 à 05:18, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

>            Oh I get it now. I'll work on that.

Good, let's start!

The time difference should be manageable I often work 12:00-3:00 PM PST.
Sergiu is also working with an american schedule.

paul

Re: GSoC 2012

sasinda
Hi all,
I am Sasinda Rukshan from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka.
I created a proposal for the Google Android XWiki Connector.
 link :  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30342197/x%20wiki.pdf
(failed to attach it to the mail and send as the mail bounced back alerting
the file is too big. : 603KB)

Thank you.
Sasinda Rukshan.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Sasinda Rukshan from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka.
> I have attached here with a proposal for the Google Android XWiki
> Connector.
>
> Thank You.
>
> Sasinda Rukshan.

Re: GSoC 2012

Hi Sasinda,

Glad to ear that you are interested in this project.

I just read your proposal and I must say I like a lot the Approach 1
since the heart of the project for me is to make easy for others to
build well integrated Android applications which need to manipulate
XWiki datas. Applications built by us on top of it have mostly
example/demo value for me.

What you described is very complete and indeed probably a bit too much
for the GSOC, but it would be good IMO to do something between the two
approach. While the full framework is probably a bit too much in the
time frame, only doing an application and not improve and extends the
current framework would not be the best direction I think.

An idea would be to lead the way to the framework you described and
implement only the part needed for your blog application idea or
another application the same way the previous GSOC built the current
connector as a dependency of a demo XWiki client.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am Sasinda Rukshan from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka.
> I created a proposal for the Google Android XWiki Connector.
>  link :  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30342197/x%20wiki.pdf
> (failed to attach it to the mail and send as the mail bounced back alerting
> the file is too big. : 603KB)
>
> Thank you.
> Sasinda Rukshan.
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Sasinda Rukshan from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka.
>> I have attached here with a proposal for the Google Android XWiki
>> Connector.
>>
>> Thank You.
>>
>> Sasinda Rukshan.

Re: GSoC 2012

sasinda
Hi Thomas,

I am very happy to here that you like my approach.Thanks. I was discouraged
to do approach 1 not only because it would take a bit more time and effort.
It was mainly because if I am doing such a framework future developers will
be depending on my framework, so if I do a, say not that good job I will be
making there time rough with a bad base framework. The only workaround I
see is we must talk with some experienced architects in the community and
come up with a good and salable base framework that provides simple and
intuitive APIs so that the usage of the framework will have a short
learning curve. In my opinion it does not take much effort to start  making
a fully functional complex API.The case is the early developers that move
in to develop the framework will do a good job but later the framework will
become complex and they will be doing workarounds to present more
functionality from the framework making architecture degradation of the
framework. It takes a lot more effort and thought to make a fully
functional simple API(Which hides its complexity from the developers) and
make it scalable with the simplicity intact. It is not possible to come up
with the design of such a framework at once, we would have to re
architecture it at major versions. But it is important to keep the earlier
point in mind.
I like to have a scalable and simple framework that follows consistent
patterns so later developers who scale up the base framework will have a
clearly defined scheme to scale it up, and will avoid add hoc manners of
doing it.
I really love to do this, so the developers who join us later will praise
us for doing such a well structured framework which is easy to build on top
of it and easy to scale from the inside.
If I am to do this, We can do some research on other application frameworks
and come up with a good initial design for our framework in the community
bonding period (After 10 th May. I am having semester end exams till that.
And I will be very much free being an intern after that.Internship is said
to be far less work than what you go through in a  semester). Your base
connection framework is superb. We would let that foundation framework be
considered only about the connection aspects (providing APIs for REST WS or
RPC). We will consider how the rest  of the framework is built on top of it
(approach 1 was only an initial idea there wasn't much thought behind it).
This semester I am taking up an optional course for software architecture,
I ll make sure to study well for it. I apologize if I am not replying you
soon enough.
Thank you.

Regards,

Sasinda Rukshan.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Sasinda,
>
> Glad to ear that you are interested in this project.
>
> I just read your proposal and I must say I like a lot the Approach 1
> since the heart of the project for me is to make easy for others to
> build well integrated Android applications which need to manipulate
> XWiki datas. Applications built by us on top of it have mostly
> example/demo value for me.
>
> What you described is very complete and indeed probably a bit too much
> for the GSOC, but it would be good IMO to do something between the two
> approach. While the full framework is probably a bit too much in the
> time frame, only doing an application and not improve and extends the
> current framework would not be the best direction I think.
>
> An idea would be to lead the way to the framework you described and
> implement only the part needed for your blog application idea or
> another application the same way the previous GSOC built the current
> connector as a dependency of a demo XWiki client.
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM, sasinda rukshan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am Sasinda Rukshan from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka.
> > I created a proposal for the Google Android XWiki Connector.
> >  link :  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30342197/x%20wiki.pdf
> > (failed to attach it to the mail and send as the mail bounced back
> alerting
> > the file is too big. : 603KB)
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Sasinda Rukshan.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM, sasinda rukshan <
> [hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am Sasinda Rukshan from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka.
> >> I have attached here with a proposal for the Google Android XWiki
> >> Connector.
> >>
> >> Thank You.
> >>
> >> Sasinda Rukshan.

12