[GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

[GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Eduard Moraru
Hello students,

As you probably already know, we are almost at the middle of the community
bonding period [1].

From the previous mail [2] and XWiki's GSoC page [3], you also know that
this is the time where you learn about XWiki's development processes, code
and community and, to better understand the code, you must fix at least one
jira issue related directly or indirectly to your project.

This is in no way a radio silence period, quite the contrary.

In other words, you need to:

1. Answer this mail :)
2. Create a Design page [4] regarding your project
3. Start idling on the IRC channel
4. Start chatting on the mailing list and on IRC about your project and
other aspects of XWiki that you don't yet understand
5. Get your hands dirty by diving into the code and fixing at least one
Jira issue (2 more weeks left)
6. Talk about your project

What we want from you with this mail is to see where you stand with regard
to what has been written above. We want to know what you don`t understand
about XWiki, what issue you are planning to undertake, what you want to
start with, etc.

It helps you more to start saying incorrect things and fixing them early
instead of staying quiet and making a big bad choice towards the end.

And a last thing, please remember that one-to-one conversations with your
mentor are not encouraged and are actually harmful to the success of your
project. Talk to the community, ask for help early and life will be sweeter
:)

Thanks,
Eduard

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

savitha sundaramurthy
Hello Eduard,

                It was very hectic for me past few days with final exams
and projects. My exams are getting over on May 5th. Will start GSOC on full
swing from May 6th onwards.

Thanking you,
Savitha

--
best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Paul Libbrecht-2
Savitha,

if you had the time for a break (writing into a wiki page is a break compared to exams!) and open a page with a first schedule, we could have even read this answer before ;-).

paul

Le 4 mai 2012 à 18:45, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> Hello Eduard,
>
>                It was very hectic for me past few days with final exams
> and projects. My exams are getting over on May 5th. Will start GSOC on full
> swing from May 6th onwards.
>
> Thanking you,
> Savitha
>
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello students,
>>
>> As you probably already know, we are almost at the middle of the community
>> bonding period [1].
>>
>> From the previous mail [2] and XWiki's GSoC page [3], you also know that
>> this is the time where you learn about XWiki's development processes, code
>> and community and, to better understand the code, you must fix at least one
>> jira issue related directly or indirectly to your project.
>>
>> This is in no way a radio silence period, quite the contrary.
>>
>> In other words, you need to:
>>
>> 1. Answer this mail :)
>> 2. Create a Design page [4] regarding your project
>> 3. Start idling on the IRC channel
>> 4. Start chatting on the mailing list and on IRC about your project and
>> other aspects of XWiki that you don't yet understand
>> 5. Get your hands dirty by diving into the code and fixing at least one
>> Jira issue (2 more weeks left)
>> 6. Talk about your project
>>
>> What we want from you with this mail is to see where you stand with regard
>> to what has been written above. We want to know what you don`t understand
>> about XWiki, what issue you are planning to undertake, what you want to
>> start with, etc.
>>
>> It helps you more to start saying incorrect things and fixing them early
>> instead of staying quiet and making a big bad choice towards the end.
>>
>> And a last thing, please remember that one-to-one conversations with your
>> mentor are not encouraged and are actually harmful to the success of your
>> project. Talk to the community, ask for help early and life will be sweeter
>> :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eduard
>>
>> ----------
>> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>> [2] http://markmail.org/thread/u6jhsqwxn6uitcjo
>> [3] http://gsoc.xwiki.org
>> [4] http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome
>

> --
> best regards,
> Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

jssolichin
Hello friends,

Here is the design page for Responsive Skin implementation [1]. Included:
Goal, Approach, Tentative Timeline, Mock Ups.
Early questions for the current design:

1. Specific support for non-javascript capable browser? I feel like it is
not necessarily since browser which can not support javascript will fall
back by itself. More over, it would not be capable of carrying out
media-queries required for responsive design and some XWIKI features (such
as live tables?) anyway.
2. Is the community ok with trying to use "true (html)" drop downs / forms
in order to fully utilize functions built in to phone/tablets [3]?
3. Pressable Links: should they be bigger on mobile to help facilitate
touching on words, or would it be better to use a "background" to create a
"touch area"? Both are in the phone mock up [3]. Former demonstrated in
quicklinks, latter in the "Spaces" section.

[1] http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ResponsiveSkin
[2] http://css-tricks.com/convert-menu-to-dropdown/
[3] http://jssolichin.com/public/mobile.jpg

Thank you again. Cheers & best,
Jonathan Solichin

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello students,
>
> As you probably already know, we are almost at the middle of the community
> bonding period [1].
>
> From the previous mail [2] and XWiki's GSoC page [3], you also know that
> this is the time where you learn about XWiki's development processes, code
> and community and, to better understand the code, you must fix at least one
> jira issue related directly or indirectly to your project.
>
> This is in no way a radio silence period, quite the contrary.
>
> In other words, you need to:
>
> 1. Answer this mail :)
> 2. Create a Design page [4] regarding your project
> 3. Start idling on the IRC channel
> 4. Start chatting on the mailing list and on IRC about your project and
> other aspects of XWiki that you don't yet understand
> 5. Get your hands dirty by diving into the code and fixing at least one
> Jira issue (2 more weeks left)
> 6. Talk about your project
>
> What we want from you with this mail is to see where you stand with regard
> to what has been written above. We want to know what you don`t understand
> about XWiki, what issue you are planning to undertake, what you want to
> start with, etc.
>
> It helps you more to start saying incorrect things and fixing them early
> instead of staying quiet and making a big bad choice towards the end.
>
> And a last thing, please remember that one-to-one conversations with your
> mentor are not encouraged and are actually harmful to the success of your
> project. Talk to the community, ask for help early and life will be sweeter
> :)
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

sasinda
Hi Thomas,
Sorry for not being able to participate in the community bonding yet.
I am very busy with exams these days. Hope you noticed me in the proposal
that I am unable to actively participate until 10 th May. 1 exam got
postponed. I will start after 12th May and document the project details. I
made the proposal publicly available just for now. Hope 12 to 21 is enough
to catch up since XWiki mobile project is a bit separate from XWiki.
Thank you.
Best Regards.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Jonathan Solichin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > What we want from you with this mail is to see where you stand with
> regard
> > to what has been written above. We want to know what you don`t understand
> > about XWiki, what issue you are planning to undertake, what you want to
> > start with, etc.
> >
> > It helps you more to start saying incorrect things and fixing them early
> > instead of staying quiet and making a big bad choice towards the end.
> >
> > And a last thing, please remember that one-to-one conversations with your
> > mentor are not encouraged and are actually harmful to the success of your
> > project. Talk to the community, ask for help early and life will be
> sweeter
> > :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Hi Paul,

         I am extremely sorry for the delay. I have started with the design
page. Trying to improve it . Here is the link:

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/SOLRSearchComponent

It would be helpful if you could suggest some JIRA issues as I'm trying to
fix some bugs.

Thanks a lot,
Savitha

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Jira issue (2 more weeks left)
> >> 6. Talk about your project
> >>
> >> What we want from you with this mail is to see where you stand with
> regard
> >> to what has been written above. We want to know what you don`t
> understand
> >> about XWiki, what issue you are planning to undertake, what you want to
> >> start with, etc.
> >>
> >> It helps you more to start saying incorrect things and fixing them early
> >> instead of staying quiet and making a big bad choice towards the end.
> >>
> >> And a last thing, please remember that one-to-one conversations with
> your
> >> mentor are not encouraged and are actually harmful to the success of
> your
> >> project. Talk to the community, ask for help early and life will be

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> Sorry for not being able to participate in the community bonding yet.
> I am very busy with exams these days. Hope you noticed me in the proposal
> that I am unable to actively participate until 10 th May. 1 exam got
> postponed. I will start after 12th May and document the project details. I

Sure but starting creating a page and put in it the design work you
already started for the GSOC proposal should not take very long. You
can improve it later.

> made the proposal publicly available just for now. Hope 12 to 21 is enough
> to catch up since XWiki mobile project is a bit separate from XWiki.

It is technically separated since it's running in Android but will
still have to deal with XWiki model and REST API. Also if you never
worked with maven before you will need some time to learn how the
project build works and you should probably start by updating it with
the latest plugin versions etc.

> [...]
>> >
>> > What we want from you with this mail is to see where you stand with
>> regard
>> > to what has been written above. We want to know what you don`t understand
>> > about XWiki, what issue you are planning to undertake, what you want to
>> > start with, etc.
>> >
>> > It helps you more to start saying incorrect things and fixing them early
>> > instead of staying quiet and making a big bad choice towards the end.
>> >
>> > And a last thing, please remember that one-to-one conversations with your
>> > mentor are not encouraged and are actually harmful to the success of your
>> > project. Talk to the community, ask for help early and life will be
>> sweeter
>> > :)
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Eduard

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

actually, I'd suggest starting with the project-timeline (should it be called the "process page" ?)
The design page will evolve in all cases:
- community feedback
- experiments' attempts
- new underpinnings findings
- new application desire
- important documentations (e.g. how to configure your schema)

Among the big questions of the process are how it will be made available and exploitable by others and how to make sure it can have a happy end of becoming a part of the daily life of xwiki servers around the world.

I think the sections "basic implementation steps" and  "basic prototype" are probably better on the process page.

paul

Le 9 mai 2012 à 07:59, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> Hi Paul,
>
>         I am extremely sorry for the delay. I have started with the design
> page. Trying to improve it . Here is the link:
>
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/SOLRSearchComponent
>
> It would be helpful if you could suggest some JIRA issues as I'm trying to
> fix some bugs.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Savitha
>
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Savitha,
>>
>> if you had the time for a break (writing into a wiki page is a break
>> compared to exams!) and open a page with a first schedule, we could have
>> even read this answer before ;-).
>>
>> paul
>>
>> Le 4 mai 2012 à 18:45, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello Eduard,
>>>
>>>               It was very hectic for me past few days with final exams
>>> and projects. My exams are getting over on May 5th. Will start GSOC on
>> full
>>> swing from May 6th onwards.
>>>
>>> Thanking you,
>>> Savitha

>> community

>> code
>> one

>> regard
>> understand

>> your
>> your
>> sweeter

>>> --
>>> best regards,
>>> Savitha.s

> best regards,
> Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

savitha sundaramurthy
Paul,

     Even I was not much satisfied with just having a Design page. Can I
create a process page in the Design space? I'm quite confused with that.
Should I have a separate page for design or just merge everything under the
process page.

Thanks,
Savitha

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Savitha,
>
> actually, I'd suggest starting with the project-timeline (should it be
> called the "process page" ?)
> The design page will evolve in all cases:
> - community feedback
> - experiments' attempts
> - new underpinnings findings
> - new application desire
> - important documentations (e.g. how to configure your schema)
>
> Among the big questions of the process are how it will be made available
> and exploitable by others and how to make sure it can have a happy end of
> becoming a part of the daily life of xwiki servers around the world.
>
> I think the sections "basic implementation steps" and  "basic prototype"
> are probably better on the process page.
>
> paul
>

> Le 9 mai 2012 à 07:59, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> >         I am extremely sorry for the delay. I have started with the
> design
> > page. Trying to improve it . Here is the link:
> >
> > http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/SOLRSearchComponent
> >
> > It would be helpful if you could suggest some JIRA issues as I'm trying
> > fix some bugs.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Savitha
> >
> > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Savitha,
> >>
> >> if you had the time for a break (writing into a wiki page is a break
> >> compared to exams!) and open a page with a first schedule, we could have
> >> even read this answer before ;-).
> >>
> >> paul

> >> full

> >> community

> that
> >> code
> least
> >> one

> and
> one

> >> regard
> >> understand

> early

> >> your
> >> your
> >> sweeter

> > best regards,
> > Savitha.s

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Paul Libbrecht-2
Savitha,

please have a look at the previous discussion with Eduard.

I believe we concluded with:
- one process page in http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/
- one design page the design space http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/SOLRSearchComponent

(now, I am not sure it's easy to find the conclusion except reading everone's mails, that's common in mailing-lists communications, I'm afraid)

I think a simple rule to discriminate is:
- the design page contains things for the eternity, after someone else starts working on this module for example
- the process page contains things for the current work, something that describes your current, past, and future work

paul

Le 9 mai 2012 à 11:15, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

>     Even I was not much satisfied with just having a Design page. Can I
> create a process page in the Design space? I'm quite confused with that.
> Should I have a separate page for design or just merge everything under the
> process page.
>
> Thanks,
> Savitha
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Savitha,
>>
>> actually, I'd suggest starting with the project-timeline (should it be
>> called the "process page" ?)
>> The design page will evolve in all cases:
>> - community feedback
>> - experiments' attempts
>> - new underpinnings findings
>> - new application desire
>> - important documentations (e.g. how to configure your schema)
>>
>> Among the big questions of the process are how it will be made available
>> and exploitable by others and how to make sure it can have a happy end of
>> becoming a part of the daily life of xwiki servers around the world.
>>
>> I think the sections "basic implementation steps" and  "basic prototype"
>> are probably better on the process page.
>>
>> paul
>>

>> Le 9 mai 2012 à 07:59, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>>        I am extremely sorry for the delay. I have started with the
>> design
>>> page. Trying to improve it . Here is the link:
>>>
>>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/SOLRSearchComponent
>>>
>>> It would be helpful if you could suggest some JIRA issues as I'm trying
>>> fix some bugs.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Savitha

>> that
>> least

>> and
>> one

>> early

>>> --
>>> best regards,
>>> Savitha.s

> best regards,
> Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

savitha sundaramurthy
Hello Paul,

         I have created the process page and the design page.
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent
 Right now I'm playing around with XWiki to get a better idea of the
available features so that it would be useful while indexing. Also, it
would be nice if you could suggest me some JIRA issues.

--
Thanking you,
Savitha.s

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Savitha,
>
> please have a look at the previous discussion with Eduard.
>
> I believe we concluded with:
> - one process page in
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/
> - one design page the design space
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/SOLRSearchComponent
>
> (now, I am not sure it's easy to find the conclusion except reading
> everone's mails, that's common in mailing-lists communications, I'm afraid)
>
> I think a simple rule to discriminate is:
> - the design page contains things for the eternity, after someone else
> starts working on this module for example
> - the process page contains things for the current work, something that
> describes your current, past, and future work
>
> paul
>

> Le 9 mai 2012 à 11:15, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :
>
> >     Even I was not much satisfied with just having a Design page. Can I
> > create a process page in the Design space? I'm quite confused with that.
> > Should I have a separate page for design or just merge everything under
> the
> > process page.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Savitha
> >
> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Savitha,
> >>
> >> actually, I'd suggest starting with the project-timeline (should it be
> >> called the "process page" ?)
> >> The design page will evolve in all cases:
> >> - community feedback
> >> - experiments' attempts
> >> - new underpinnings findings
> >> - new application desire
> >> - important documentations (e.g. how to configure your schema)
> >>
> >> Among the big questions of the process are how it will be made available
> >> and exploitable by others and how to make sure it can have a happy end
> of
> >> becoming a part of the daily life of xwiki servers around the world.
> >>
> >> I think the sections "basic implementation steps" and  "basic prototype"
> >> are probably better on the process page.
> >>
> >> paul

> >> design

> have

> on

> >> that
> processes,
> >> least

> >> and
> >> one

> >> early
> end.

> > best regards,
> > Savitha.s

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Paul Libbrecht-2
Savitha,

>         I have created the process page and the design page.
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent

ok.
You seem to have a lot of styles in there... really needed?

The search field customization UI is something new to me.
What do you plan beyond an ability to tune the schema.xml file?
(so basically, what you should do is write a comment-rich schema that sticks to the way things will come from XWiki)

Your current implementation seems to consider the content only inside pages.
The big big strength of XWiki is in objects and properties. You should jump to tutorials and see how different applications use that. One that I can tell you all details about is Curriki but that is not the simplest!
Moreover, attachments, and their indexing, should be considered.

There's probably more modern but the tutorial of Vincent about the TODO list on theserverside.com gave me a good clue of the objects practice.

One UI, related to field tuning, that I'd love you implement as well is the "indexed view" of a document: a table with the analyzed view of each field for a given document.
     http://draft.i2geo.net/static/paultmp/i2geo-IndexDoc-TangentenundderSatzdesThales.pdf
This is from the Admin interface using i2geo.net Lucene plugin (source at http://svn.activemath.org/intergeo/Platform/i2gCurriki/plugins/lucene/ )

> Right now I'm playing around with XWiki to get a better idea of the
> available features so that it would be useful while indexing. Also, it
> would be nice if you could suggest me some JIRA issues.

have a look here:

        http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/IssueNavigator!executeAdvanced.jspa?jqlQuery=project+%3D+XWIKI+and+%28status+%3D+Open+or+status+%3D+Reopened%29+and+component+%3D+Search+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&runQuery=true&clear=true

there's an amount!

I wonder if something around the queue is not something you should address now; I don't remember having seen this in your code and there's an amount of issues that the queue in the solr component should not have.

I think it's good to look at things compared to your plans, even include expected fixed bugs as you wrote in the current plan page.

paul

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Please, there is no reason to send mail like that to me personally.
Especially when you answer to a mail sent on the mailing list ;)

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,Thomas,
> I created the initial design page and edited the progress page.
> Named the project XWiki Android Platform. If you don't like the name feel
> free to change it :).

It's your project, and better choosing something you fill is the right
one ;)  I'm ok with this name and it make it clear is a framework more
than a final application.

> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/XWikiAndroidPlatform
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/ImproveandroidXWikiconnector
> I will check maven.
> Also will compare development with IDEAJ vs eclipse ADT. I ll familirize
> myself with XWiki REST model and earlier Android Client work this week.

Ok cool. Note that I'm using Eclipse myself so I would not help you
much for IntelliJ. ADT was pretty nice from what I remember (and this
was last year, did not have much time to play with Android since
then).

Le 13 mai 2012 à 19:10, Thomas Mortagne a écrit :

>> Also will compare development with IDEAJ vs eclipse ADT. I ll familirize
>> myself with XWiki REST model and earlier Android Client work this week.
>
> Ok cool. Note that I'm using Eclipse myself so I would not help you
> much for IntelliJ. ADT was pretty nice from what I remember (and this
> was last year, did not have much time to play with Android since
> then).

Sasindra,

I use and love IntelliJ IDEA, feel free to ask (on list!).
My most trustable practice is to keep importing "from external model (maven)".

Also, in syntax 1.0, I often add the following comments near to the top:

#* @vtlvariable name="xwiki" type="com.xpn.xwiki.api.XWiki" *# ##
#* @vtlvariable name="request" type="javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest" *# ##
#* @vtlvariable name="response" type="javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse" *# ##
#* @vtlvariable name="msg" type="com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiMessageTool" *# ##
#* @vtlvariable name="doc" type="com.xpn.xwiki.api.Document" *#
#* @vtlvariable name="util" type="com.xpn.xwiki.api.Util" *# ##
#* @vtlvariable name="escapetool" type="org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.EscapeTool" *# ##

this allows me to have auto-completion on the method names.
I am pretty sure this can work for the new syntax as well.

paul

Re: [GSOC] [Status Request] Middle of Community Bonding period

Paul Libbrecht-2
Sasinda,

please keep on list.
What you describe is indeed the spirit I envision.

paul